• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure you've been through this before, but humour me for now. What makes Taylor a fairly limited player?

He's quite clearly shown to be a more than capable (and remember, he's only 26 so should only get better) test number 4, unless 25 tests isn't a big enough sample for you (and hundreds against England x 2, India x 2 and Australia).

I'm interested to know how you'd rate Taylor alongside someone like Paul Collingwood, someone i'd call a limited player.
They both have limitations. Taylor's a walking wicket against good seam bowling with the ball doing anything. That's why he's not a good top 4 batsman in general. Obviously if it's a flat pitch or the the openers have got through the new ball then it's not an issue.

They're both form players and can look horrible if they're out of form.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Eh? Taylor was the only one besides Ryder who looked good enough to deal with the ball moving around when we played aganst Australia in Australia a few years back in some of the worst batting conditions in ages.

His biggest issue is temperament and at times playing the wrong line. Not because he can't play it but because he premeditates the areas he wants to bat in.

shivfan

Banned
Sri Lanka team
TM Dilshan, DPMD Jayawardene, KC Sangakkara*†, LD Chandimal, CK Kapugedera, AD Mathews, ST Jayasuriya, NLTC Perera, S Randiv, SL Malinga, BAW Mendis
Zimbabwe team
BRM Taylor, H Masakadza, T Taibu†, CR Ervine, E Chigumbura, CK Coventry, GA Lamb, AG Cremer, P Utseya*, RW Price, CB Mpofu

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poor old Dilshan's rough trot continues; Chigumbura gets his man as he holes out to long off.

Nice shape from Chigumbura, actually. Lovely seam position.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Oh yeah, he's in glorious form. Jayawardene batting like this is a joy to behold, really enjoying his innings. Does appear to me that if he fails, Sri Lanka's batting is doomed though. Sangakkara's only in moderate form, Jayasuriya appears to be in as a bowler, and the rest are unproven. One of their key bowlers is out of the tournament now too; not looking good for them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One shot too many from Perera. Very good catch on the boundary; was a flat hit and it was travelling too.

80/2.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pretty poor innings from Sangakkara. Hasn't looked in great form early on in this tournament. Sri Lanka really need Mahela to bat until at least the 18th over now.

Scaly piscine

Eh? Taylor was the only one besides Ryder who looked good enough to deal with the ball moving around when we played aganst Australia in Australia a few years back in some of the worst batting conditions in ages.

His biggest issue is temperament and at times playing the wrong line. Not because he can't play it but because he premeditates the areas he wants to bat in.
He plays down the wrong line because he plays to leg so often. He 'premeditates' because he has one major scoring area, mid-wicket. That's his method, get used to it or you'll be whinging about his 'temperament' for the rest of his career when instead he just has a risky way of playing.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I always thought that it wasn't allowed for a keeper to not wear pads...but i guess i was wrong.

Is is allowed for a batsman if he chooses not to wear any pads? (highly unlikely but still).

Looks like Zim finally putting on some brakes to SL charge. 3rd down.

Jarquis

I am looking on in disbelief, and have pinched myself a couple of times, but yes, it does seem like Tatenda Taibu is keeping without wearing any kind of pads on his legs. First time I'm seeing this.
He's at it again! WAG.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He plays down the wrong line because he plays to leg so often. He 'premeditates' because he has one major scoring area, mid-wicket. That's his method, get used to it or you'll be whinging about his 'temperament' for the rest of his career when instead he just has a risky way of playing.
Yeah not in Tests.