• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Pakistan, Australia, Bangladesh

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I know what you're saying mate, but that's the sort of reasoning they had in the Ashes, where Hughes was basically dropped because they needed Watson as cover with the ball because Johnson couldn't hit the pitch.

Would still have had Dougeh in the squad though. As you said, that attack is well capable of copping a ****ing hiding on a given day.

Dougy.

Dougeh.

Top_Cat

Myself, the selectors need to choose only one Huss and find a way to throw Smith and Harris in the side. They really painted themselves into a corner by picking Lee so this is a lucky break for everyone other than the man himself.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Reading that the pitches and outfields are really slow and turning a bit over there right now. Would really **** with Australia's day if true because it'll both nullify their pace attack and their cavalcade of through-the-field bats.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Myself, the selectors need to choose only one Huss and find a way to throw Smith and Harris in the side. They really painted themselves into a corner by picking Lee so this is a lucky break for everyone other than the man himself.
TBH if's batting they're worried about, they could do something like

Watto
Warner
Clarke
Haddin
White
Mussey
Dussey
Smith
Johnson
Harris
Nannes/Tait

Dussey, Smith and Watto should be able to take 8 overs by themselves. Won't happen, mind you, but I do agree with you that Smith should be playing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Watto
Warner
Clarke
Haddin
White
Mussey
Dussey
Smith
Johnson
Harris
Nannes/Tait

Dussey, Smith and Watto should be able to take 8 overs by themselves. Won't happen, mind you, but I do agree with you that Smith should be playing.
Haddin and Mussey are not better Twenty20 bats than the Duss.

Top_Cat

Watto
Warner
Clarke
Haddin
White
Mussey
Dussey
Smith
Johnson
Harris
Nannes/Tait

Stacking the batting with out-of-form/inexperienced blokes != improving the batting, in my view.

Keep Nannes/Tait and drop Mussey maybe? That way you have more than one bloke who can take the pace off the ball if needed. Be very hesitant to drop Dussey and he should bat higher than White, tbh.

Last edited:

andyc

Was just throwing in the middle order to show how they could stack the batting if need be tbh, wasn't giving it much thought. But yeah, reckon dropping Mussey and playing both Nannes and Tait would be a better option, especially now that Harris is there to shore up the batting. Assuming Watto will be opening with Warner btw, where should Haddin be batting?

Top_Cat

Was just throwing in the middle order to show how they could stack the batting if need be tbh, wasn't giving it much thought. But yeah, reckon dropping Mussey and playing both Nannes and Tait would be a better option, especially now that Harris is there to shore up the batting. Assuming Watto will be opening with Warner btw, where should Haddin be batting?
I'd guess he'd be well down the order? Myself, Haddin opening with Watto at 3 or 4. Has the game to be an attacking number 3, I reckon so, obv, he has to bat 4 in this side.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Reading that the pitches and outfields are really slow and turning a bit over there right now. Would really **** with Australia's day if true because it'll both nullify their pace attack and their cavalcade of through-the-field bats.
Would also bring the Australian spin bowling stocks into question even more. :dry:

Top_Cat

Okay, fair to say this'll be the XI come Monday;

WwdIs 88/10 (20.0 ov, DP Nannes 1/21) - Match over | Live Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

So they've stacked the batting and will be relying on Smith for spin with Dussey/Clarke to roll the arm over if needed. Far better side than with Lee in it. Still a bit worried about their ability to accelerate after the first 10, whether having three (essentially) part-time spinners = 1 good one and a pace attack of Johnson/Nannes/Tait is potentially pretty damn wild but it's not bad.

Last edited:

social

Anyone going to watch a single match? Time zones pretty much make it impossible...again.
Pretty good for me - most games start at 7.30 pm here, new baby at home (so no other social engaements for a while), beer fridge full, delivery menus stacked up

Probably watch a couple of games before Oz self-destruct and I break out the bootleg dvd collection

Jayzamann

International Regular
cricinfo said:
Vital stats

# Shaun Tait and Nathan Hauritz are the only players in Australia's squad with a batting strike-rate below Michael Clarke's 108.83
Holey moley.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Asif dropped for Sami sure Asif is no 20-20 bowler but then Sami is not even a bowler.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Five spinners for the Bangers. And all left-handers as well.

A piece of me wants them to go through and eventually go against Australia who would probably field as many quicks as they can. That would be an interesting game.

ed: that being said, today i am just glad to see the Pakistani players taking the field

Last edited: