• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Webb hasn't been rotten, apart from one or two decisions, I reckon he's been pretty good. He clearly didn't fully see some of the tackles otherwise he would have given them red.
Well, I'm watching it now and he looks in a great position to see all of them. The blokes choked, Fergie may have been right about him....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
de Jong should've gone; no arguments. Studs raised, chest high, late. If that's not a straight red I've never seen one, tbh.

Ditto van Bommel, the foul on Xavi is a yellow were he not already on one.

Haven't so much abandoned total football as chucked it into the canal in a sack full of bricks.

Jarquis

Van Bommel could've easily been sent off. If he hadn't been on a yellow already, some of his later fouls would've been carded IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Webb hasn't been rotten, apart from one or two decisions, I reckon he's been pretty good. He clearly didn't fully see some of the tackles otherwise he would have given them red.
He saw them fully, he's just bottled it because he hasn't got the stones to make a big call.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
van Bommel's first foul was hilarious when he just plowed through the back of Iniesta, made me lol so much.

And yeah, if you don't think de Jong should have been red carded for his karare kick, you're on a different planet...

Scaly piscine

If the second Van Bommel tackle was the one where he just stuck his foot in normally and was a bit late as the Spanish player knocked it past just inside the Dutch half. Well you may as well outlaw tackling if that's a yellow.

Most of the yellows have been yellow and a halves really, not straight reds.

R_D

International Debutant
Agree with the sentiments here... Dutch should be down to 9 players.... How much of lucky prick is Van Bomel... If he continues this way is second half... Surely he's got to be sent off.

Last edited:

Matteh

I dunno, obviously it's subjective. IMO, it's really a stretch (and a bit rich) to call Spain the defensive ones when they spend the majority of the game in the attacking half. What would you call the other team then?
They don't though, they spend it on the halfway line going nowhere.

Would call the other team Bored.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
DWTA. I think Spain are re-defining defensive football in this tournament.

If you patiently keep possession, the one thing you can't do whilst you have the ball is concede a goal.

FMD, both de Jong and van Bommel lucky to stay on the pitch.
It's both a defensive and attacking skill. You keep the ball so you create chances but your opponents don't get the ball so it helps defensively.

Jarquis

Casillas is v.shaky.

Anyway, Hansen WAC. Getting his knickers in a twist over Holland's tackling but was all over Wenger like a rash after the Ramsey incident.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Depends what you want. Xabi Alonso gives them more defensive solidarity.
They're defensively solid enough with Busquets screening, and Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and Pedro pressing high up the park.

Having Alonso there negates Xavi because it's one less runner to hit with passes. The reason Spain "don't go anywhere" with their passing is because Alonso is usually sitting 5 yards from Xavi.

Cesc, or another wide man like Mata or Silva would be a much better option.