• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really?

Feel it is Brazil being overated because they are Brazil.

Sure they are a good side but who did they beat? North Korea, Ivory Cost and Chile.

Not sure how this makes them the best side in the tournament.

If Spain had beaten those sides then gone out in the gutless fashion Brazil did then Scaly would leap all over it.

Spain got the better players on balance as well.
Well, the loss to Netherlands was pretty much the only thing they did wrong during Dunga's entire tenure. There's a reason they're ranked 1 in the world, they utterly dominated everything they entered until then. It's pretty close between them and Spain but I don't see what makes the suggestion of Brazil being the best team in the tournament so funny. Perfectly fair comment imo.

Uppercut

Amazing how quickly people change their opinion of a team. Brazil completely dominated the Netherlands in the first half. Absolutely ripped them to pieces. Somehow a reversal in the second half makes Brazil complete ****house?

Brazil v Portugal was a meaningless, nasty game. Portugal controlled the game against Spain, they just botched their chances. What you're failing to grasp is one result doesn't make a team useless or awesome, unless you happen to work for the gutter press of course.
^this too. If your world-class keeper makes an uncharacteristic boob that turns an important match on its head, there's not much you can do. Why is it only in the World Cup that people overreact to everything that happens? No one concluded that Reading are a better team than Liverpool when they beat them in the FA cup. Why does it happen here?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Attractiveness is very subjective. If you don't find it attractive, that's entirely understandable.

However, calling possession-based football defensive is a bit of a stretch, IMO. The degree of patience and directness may vary, but the ultimate motive of possession is always to fashion goal-scoring chances, either by pouncing on small gaps, or grinding down the opposition physically (as Spain have tended to do in this tournament, which people find unattractive). As a by-product, it also keeps the opposition from posing a threat to your goal.
A) Contradiction

grecian

Amazing how quickly people change their opinion of a team. Brazil completely dominated the Netherlands in the first half. Absolutely ripped them to pieces. Somehow a reversal in the second half makes Brazil complete ****house?

Brazil v Portugal was a meaningless, nasty game. Portugal controlled the game against Spain, they just botched their chances. What you're failing to grasp is one result doesn't make a team useless or awesome, unless you happen to work for the gutter press of course.
If you can find a quote of mine that said Brazil were awesome, you may have a valid point, but you won't. Didn't say they were "****house", just not that good. they were awful against North Korea, average, apart from a brief purple patch, against Ivory Coast and Portugal, you seem to be using a match and a half to proclaim them the best team.

Oh yeah, I'll stop using the one match to illustrate my view when, you stop using the one match against the Swiss as truth of Spain's ****-houseness. sure Portugal had chances, but Spain had more and better ones IMHO, and were the better team.

I also said before that Portugal match, you'd ignore Spain's win and call them lucky afterwards, you never disappoint Scaly:)

FTR I want Holland to win, Spains forward line have been fairly non-existent, apart from Villa, and playing Alonso and Busquets is just yawnsome, but so is playing Gilberto and Melo. Or van Bommel, Kuyt and de jong, for that matter.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
^this too. If your world-class keeper makes an uncharacteristic boob that turns an important match on its head, there's not much you can do. Why is it only in the World Cup that people overreact to everything that happens? No one concluded that Reading are a better team than Liverpool when they beat them in the FA cup. Why does it happen here?
You've changed your tune. Wasn't so long back you were claiming the better side always won. :p

Anyway, grecian said this is a mediocre Brazil side, not that Brazil are a medicore side. There's no doubt in my mind this wasn't a classic Brazilian line-up and that's coming from someone who tipped them as his winners before the tournament. Being a mediocre Brazil isn't quite the same as being a mediocre England.

Hardly cut a swathe through the tournament either, looked desperately disappointing in beating a woeful North Korea.

vcs

Don't get why people feel Spain didn't deserve to beat Chile or Portugal. Yeah, Chile had a guy sent off wrongly but Spain were already 2 up by that stage. Portugal barely got out of their half after the first half an hour or so, they got exactly what they deserved out of that match.

Against Paraguay, Spain did get a slice of luck or two, which they took advantage of.

vcs

A) Contradiction
I dunno, obviously it's subjective. IMO, it's really a stretch (and a bit rich) to call Spain the defensive ones when they spend the majority of the game in the attacking half. What would you call the other team then?

grecian

I dunno, obviously it's subjective. IMO, it's really a stretch (and a bit rich) to call Spain the defensive ones when they spend the majority of the game in the attacking half. What would you call the other team then?
Yep, Portugal parked the bus, and Germany just played on the counter, rather poor from both of them, I thought.

Anyway, hoping for a good match, and it'll be nice to see a new winner, and both sets of fans deserve it really:)

Scaly piscine

Portugal parked the bus and still created the better chances. It isn't about style.

Spain have one of the most negative styles possible given their personnel. It's a joke how few players they commit into the box. The number of times they get a decent position wide and then end up passing it all the way back to the defence is ridiculous.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
van Bommel's consistent, you have to give him that. Would kick his own granny if she came towards him with a football.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Attractiveness is very subjective. If you don't find it attractive, that's entirely understandable.

However, calling possession-based football defensive is a bit of a stretch, IMO. The degree of patience and directness may vary, but the ultimate motive of possession is always to fashion goal-scoring chances, either by pouncing on small gaps, or grinding down the opposition physically (as Spain have tended to do in this tournament, which people find unattractive). As a by-product, it also keeps the opposition from posing a threat to your goal.
DWTA. I think Spain are re-defining defensive football in this tournament.

If you patiently keep possession, the one thing you can't do whilst you have the ball is concede a goal.

FMD, both de Jong and van Bommel lucky to stay on the pitch.

grecian

Webb is bottling this totally, Dutch should be down to about 8 men. Still the linesmen haven't done much wrong:unsure:

Scaly piscine

De Jong's wasn't a karate kick. He just stuck his leg up and it looks worse because his leg catches Alonso? at right angles. Don't think anyone is particularly lucky to not be sent off yet.