Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    What advantage did Robben gain though?
    The advantage of not having to look at Puyol's ugly mug as he was being cuddled?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Puyol had to go whether you play the advantage or not, IMO. I don't think you're allowed to bring play back to give a red though. I suppose that would make a free kick and straight red the only right decision.

It's amazing that he stayed on the pitch after that.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 14-07-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Cruyff's children and grandchildren are spanish passport holders, go figure
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Cruyff's a stupif **** TBH. There was a time when his views were the gospel to all Dutch football fans and media, but these days he's more seen as an eccentric (at best) or a manipulator pushing his own agenda (at worst). His relentless condemning of everything that doesn't fit his philosophy is quite tiresome.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Cruyff's a stupif **** TBH. There was a time when his views were the gospel to all Dutch football fans and media, but these days he's more seen as an eccentric (at best) or a manipulator pushing his own agenda (at worst). His relentless condemning of everything that doesn't fit his philosophy is quite tiresome.
    Agree, and this view is widely spread in the Dutch people, we tend to not take him so serious anymore.

He is the guy that said Ajax youth system is horrible and should be totally remodelled.
    This is the youth system that brought the world so many great players and in the current Ajax team there are some real big gems as well...Stekelenburg was the 2nd best keeper at the WC, van der Wiel showed glimses of being great, Eriksen is only 18 and already played for Denmark during the WC(been at Ajax since 15) and was a revelation in the Dutch Eredivise last year.
    not to forget Sneijder & van der Vaart

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    A victory for football, if you're going to follow the cliche, would have been a Germany win IMO, but they bottled it in the semis.
    Yeah not like them to leave a job unfinished.

RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    What advantage did Robben gain though?
    He got past the defence and was 1 on 1 with the keeper. The ref played advantage as he'd gained an advantageous position. He missed and that's that.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Nah nah, that's misleading.
    A lot of the fouls that Netherlands committed weren't really fouls, Spain were just going down way to easy and Webb loved blowing the whistle.

I agree with Ausage and Kweek, the media has made it out to be worse than it was. Half of Netherlands yellows were either very harsh, or down to Spanish theatrics. Yeah, Netherlands were a bit more aggressive than Spain, but only a little bit, Spain got away with a lot of stuff that the Netherlands didn't because of theatrics, or just plain inconsistency.
    I used my own eyes and the views of generally impartial folk not the media. I've barely read about it in the media. Webb blowed the whistle because they were usually FK worthy fouls. What exactly did Spain get away with?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    He got past the defence and was 1 on 1 with the keeper. The ref played advantage as he'd gained an advantageous position. He missed and that's that.
    If he'd played advantage Puyol would have been booked afterwards, you're just wrong
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

As far as I'm aware, a referee can't bring play back and red card someone. They're supposed to leave the field immediately after committing the offence. He can't really play the advantage and then book Puyol for an obvious red card offence either. He'd kinda be making up the rules as he goes along.

I suspect Webb was just taking a common sense approach and overlooking the incident completely, on the grounds that it was the option Holland would have preferred with Robben clean through on goal. You'd have to bend the framework of the rules a little too much to do anything else besides giving an immediate free kick and red card, which caused a lot of hassle to the ref who sent of Jens Lehmann in another high-profile final. I can't believe that he would have simply failed to see such an obvious foul.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 15-07-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    As far as I'm aware, a referee can't bring play back and red card someone. They're supposed to leave the field immediately after committing the offence. He can't really play the advantage and then book Puyol for an obvious red card offence either. He'd kinda be making up the rules as he goes along.
    I remember back in Euro 96 a ref did play on and go back and send someone off (an Italian if my memory serves me correctly) about 2 minutes later when the ball went dead, but the rules may have changed since then.

Also, again not sure of any changes, but the rule used to be that if someone did a Suarez/Kewell but the ball still went in, it was a goal and a yellow card for unsporting behaviour (ie being a failure at cheating)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

I suspect Webb was just taking a common sense approach and overlooking the incident completely, on the grounds that it was the option Holland would have preferred with Robben clean through on goal. You'd have to bend the framework of the rules a little too much to do anything else besides giving an immediate free kick and red card, which caused a lot of hassle to the ref who sent of Jens Lehmann in another high-profile final. I can't believe that he would have simply failed to see such an obvious foul.
    Given a couple of alleged straight reds he overlooked, I'm happy to assume he'd have yellowed it if he'd seen it. He's making the rules up as eh goes along much more by overlooking it than he'd have been by booking Puyol afterwards.

The fact is, rose has stated in his annoying 'I know everything about football even though I didn't know Man U were a big club in 2004' way that the ref played advantage as though it's definitive, and he didn't. Assume whatever we want, but if you play advantage, you signal advantage, and he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I remember back in Euro 96 a ref did play on and go back and send someone off (an Italian if my memory serves me correctly) about 2 minutes later when the ball went dead, but the rules may have changed since then.

Also, again not sure of any changes, but the rule used to be that if someone did a Suarez/Kewell but the ball still went in, it was a goal and a yellow card for unsporting behaviour (ie being a failure at cheating)
    Just to be clear, I'm not 100% on this. I know when you take the FIFA course in refereeing you're explicitly told that a player has to be dismissed immediately for a red card offence. It could be a relatively recent development, or referees in the World Cup could be instructed differently. But in any case, it's extremely rare to see a referee play an advantage then bring play back and red card someone.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yeah, it's been a while since I gave up refereeing (best part of 15 years) so it wouldnt surprise me if the guidelines (as opposed to the rules) have changed since then!

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information