Cricket Player Manager
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 446

Thread: *Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

  1. #316
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Yes, it probably was unintentional but it was still a red imo.
    Yeah, this is the conclusion I'm leaning towards. I wouldn't call it a shocker but a red would definitely have been a better decision than a yellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  2. #317
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,936
    If that's not a red, than anything short of two of your teammates holding a player while you repeatedly punch them in the face is not a red.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #318
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,826
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah the fact that it is being touted as a victory for football when they scored twice in just two games is a joke.

    A victory for football, if you're going to follow the cliche, would have been a Germany win IMO, but they bottled it in the semis.

    And this thread is a trainwreck, moderation of this tournament has largely been piss poor.
    If Spain had had the good fortune to play against England and Argentina I suspect their goal tally would have been greater. It's not Spain's fault that the teams they played attempted to kill the game first and play football as an afterthought. They could easily have been beaten by Paraguay, Portugal or Holland but that would have been the worst victory since Lady Hamilton lost her virginity for the second time.

  4. #319
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,996
    Yeah agree with that, Germany were lauded for playing attacking football but pretty much all their goals came on the counter agsinst piss poor defences.

    When they came up against Spain they were outclassed and reduced to getting men behind the ball like every other side had to against Spain.


  5. #320
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    If Spain had had the good fortune to play against England and Argentina I suspect their goal tally would have been greater. It's not Spain's fault that the teams they played attempted to kill the game first and play football as an afterthought. They could easily have been beaten by Paraguay, Portugal or Holland but that would have been the worst victory since Lady Hamilton lost her virginity for the second time.
    That's all fine - I just hate the 'victory for football' mentality as it is, tbh.

    Best team won, no doubt.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #321
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    RIP
    Posts
    15,732
    The German thing is really annoying me, as others have said played on the counter, sometimes really direct, and had a chance to play with the beach ball for a longer time then most.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  7. #322
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Um no. He's better. Apart from Xavi that is.
    You wouldn't ask Lampard to do what Essien does would you?
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  8. #323
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,144
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    The German thing is really annoying me, as others have said played on the counter, sometimes really direct, and had a chance to play with the beach ball for a longer time then most.
    All I meant was that a 'victory for football' if such a thing existed would be that the most entertaining team won, IMO that was Germany. Doesn't make them the best team and I don't believe I claimed it did.

  9. #324
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,337
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    That's all fine - I just hate the 'victory for football' mentality as it is, tbh.
    Yeah totall agree with this. We have a few sanctimonious commentators in Aus who love the term and it's getting old frankly.

    As good as Spain were part of footballs charm is that there are a multitude of different ways to play the game, and all of them are valid. Football would be the poorer if physical sides weren't around as a counterpoint to patterned passing teams.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  10. #325
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    If that's not a red, than anything short of two of your teammates holding a player while you repeatedly punch them in the face is not a red.
    Haha, you'd be amazed at some of the things players are shown red cards for though. Intent plays a pretty big part in the application of the rules. Trying to kick someone and missing is generally a more serious offence than accidentally kicking someone and breaking their face.

  11. #326
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    RIP
    Posts
    15,732
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    All I meant was that a 'victory for football' if such a thing existed would be that the most entertaining team won, IMO that was Germany. Doesn't make them the best team and I don't believe I claimed it did.
    Umm, didn't say you did, just think their entertainment quotient is being somewhat overplayed.

    It was a deathly dull World Cup, think people are clutching at straws.

  12. #327
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    Yet it was a World Cup nevertheless, and therefore amazing. My soul is crushed that it's over.

  13. #328
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,144
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Umm, didn't say you did, just think their entertainment quotient is being somewhat overplayed.

    It was a deathly dull World Cup, think people are clutching at straws.
    Fair enough mate, wasn't just responding to you tbf

    Think I enjoyed it a bit more than you did, wasn't a classic though. And as you know, I'm not sad it's over as there is better stuff to look forwards to tomorrow
    Last edited by GIMH; 12-07-2010 at 09:26 AM.

  14. #329
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yet it was a World Cup nevertheless, and therefore amazing. My soul is crushed that it's over.
    Yeah it is awful that is over, cannot get even a little bit exctied about the new season, Premier league so contemptable (will love it when it starts though) but there is always Griffin Park to look forward to.

    Don't think it was a bad world cup by any means, Knockout stages especially the second round and the quater finals were better than 2006 on balance.

    2002 was no better either in my opinon, outside some hilarious shocks this one was actually better on balance. Would rank this as a middling world cup, 98 still my favourite.

  15. #330
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    '98 was my favourite too but it's not really a fair fight since back then the world was pretty much just a giant football. Or at least, that's how it seemed in my head.

    2006 the pick of the last three for mine. 2002 comfortably the worst.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Uruguay v Netherlands (Semi Final 1)
    By Furball in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •