• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The German thing is really annoying me, as others have said played on the counter, sometimes really direct, and had a chance to play with the beach ball for a longer time then most.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The German thing is really annoying me, as others have said played on the counter, sometimes really direct, and had a chance to play with the beach ball for a longer time then most.
All I meant was that a 'victory for football' if such a thing existed would be that the most entertaining team won, IMO that was Germany. Doesn't make them the best team and I don't believe I claimed it did.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
That's all fine - I just hate the 'victory for football' mentality as it is, tbh.
Yeah totall agree with this. We have a few sanctimonious commentators in Aus who love the term and it's getting old frankly.

As good as Spain were part of footballs charm is that there are a multitude of different ways to play the game, and all of them are valid. Football would be the poorer if physical sides weren't around as a counterpoint to patterned passing teams.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that's not a red, than anything short of two of your teammates holding a player while you repeatedly punch them in the face is not a red.
Haha, you'd be amazed at some of the things players are shown red cards for though. Intent plays a pretty big part in the application of the rules. Trying to kick someone and missing is generally a more serious offence than accidentally kicking someone and breaking their face.

grecian

All I meant was that a 'victory for football' if such a thing existed would be that the most entertaining team won, IMO that was Germany. Doesn't make them the best team and I don't believe I claimed it did.
Umm, didn't say you did, just think their entertainment quotient is being somewhat overplayed.

It was a deathly dull World Cup, think people are clutching at straws.

Uppercut

Yet it was a World Cup nevertheless, and therefore amazing. My soul is crushed that it's over.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Umm, didn't say you did, just think their entertainment quotient is being somewhat overplayed.

It was a deathly dull World Cup, think people are clutching at straws.
Fair enough mate, wasn't just responding to you tbf

Think I enjoyed it a bit more than you did, wasn't a classic though. And as you know, I'm not sad it's over as there is better stuff to look forwards to tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Pothas

Yet it was a World Cup nevertheless, and therefore amazing. My soul is crushed that it's over.
Yeah it is awful that is over, cannot get even a little bit exctied about the new season, Premier league so contemptable (will love it when it starts though) but there is always Griffin Park to look forward to.

Don't think it was a bad world cup by any means, Knockout stages especially the second round and the quater finals were better than 2006 on balance.

2002 was no better either in my opinon, outside some hilarious shocks this one was actually better on balance. Would rank this as a middling world cup, 98 still my favourite.

Uppercut

'98 was my favourite too but it's not really a fair fight since back then the world was pretty much just a giant football. Or at least, that's how it seemed in my head.

2006 the pick of the last three for mine. 2002 comfortably the worst.

vcs

The 2006 final was a better match than this one despite the fact that it was decided on penalties. It had a better flow to it, not as niggly, and had some absolutely memorable moments - Zidane's chipped penalty, Buffon's save from Zidane's header, Henry's under-rated performance. Shame it all got overshadowed by the infamous head-butt - which was absolutely inconsequential as the game was drifting towards penalties anyway by that stage.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
'98 was my favourite too but it's not really a fair fight since back then the world was pretty much just a giant football. Or at least, that's how it seemed in my head.

Agree almost word for word

Pothas

Yeah the final was definetly better last time around.

Rest of the tournament was not any better though, group stages were better but knockout stages probably better this time around if anything.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
**** ****s, WC finals are always horrid. What team is going to go out there in the biggest game they'll likely EVER play and go for broke? Especially when both teams have never won one.

social

Thought the highlights of 2002 were really memorable

Ronaldo and Ronaldhino on fire

South Korea's run to the semis (including beating Italy) and their fans support was great

Turkey played some great stuff iirc

Senegal getting to the quarters

Far better than 2010 in any event

vcs

Yeah, the favouritism was blatant. And they were a dirty bunch as well.

vcs

It's a shame Spain didn't hand out a few thrashings along the way as this bunch of players could have gone down as the most convincing WC winners in a long time. They won it without really hitting top gear.

I'd say Brazil in 2002 were the most convincing WC winners I've seen in my lifetime, but the level of competition in that tournament wasn't great.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
There's just no way De Jong's was a red. Look at the replay. He's not running and sticking a leg out. He jumps up and sticks a leg out. That's it. He's not kicked violently. He's not ran into him. He just stuck a leg out for the ball and it just happens to catch the guy at a right angle so the impact is worse. 99 times out of a hundred he it's a glancing blow and there's no hysteria whatsoever.

Get a grip people.
Nah, any time you have a challenge with studs raised over knee height its generally a red. He hit him in the chest ffs. It may have not been intentional, but that doesn't change the fact that it was extremely dangerous and a red 99 times out of 100.