• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was such a frustrating match to watch. Was supporting Holland but they did some pretty awful fouls. At the same time the Spanish looked to have taken lessons from the Italians in diving.

Spent most of the match yelling at both sides to cross the ball in/up. Just keep passing back and stand around why don't you, ffs.

Spain probably deserved winners but best game of the tournament it was not. Not even close.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only positive to come out of this is Cesc's transfer value had to sky rocket after that. **** Barca and their ridiculous underbidding for a guy as good as him. World record or **** off please.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The only positive to come out of this is Cesc's transfer value had to sky rocket after that. **** Barca and their ridiculous underbidding for a guy as good as him. World record or **** off please.
Arsenal can't exactly bump up their price for a player who can't get a game ahead of Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta for his country.

Spark

Global Moderator
Arsenal can't exactly bump up their price for a player who can't get a game ahead of Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta for his country.
Can't deny that he completely changed the game though and made Spain look truly dangerous.

And TBH, I don't buy any of this nonsense that "oh, Spain didn't deserve to win as they didn't commit enough players forward, Holland should've scored etc etc". One team came out and played football.

The other? Well...

Actually looks worse the more you see it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He's better than all of them apart from Xavi.
He's a different player to all of them so hard to say he's better. Busquets is a holding midfielder in a sense. Xavi a deep playmaker. Iniesta and Fabregas are attacking mids but Fabregas is more direct.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's a different player to all of them so hard to say he's better. Busquets is a holding midfielder in a sense. Xavi a deep playmaker. Iniesta and Fabregas are attacking mids but Fabregas is more direct.
Iniesta was terrible though.

pasag

RTDAS
Can't deny that he completely changed the game though and made Spain look truly dangerous.

And TBH, I don't buy any of this nonsense that "oh, Spain didn't deserve to win as they didn't commit enough players forward, Holland should've scored etc etc". One team came out and played football.

The other? Well...

Actually looks worse the more you see it.
FINISH HIM!

z

duffer

Um no. He's better. Apart from Xavi that is.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A friend of mine just said that the clearance that Mathijson was compelled to do only happened because Iniesta was offside. And that's a very good point. It's after that half-clearance that fell to Cesc who passed it to Iniesta that the goal was scored.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Xavi is the best of the lot right now when it comes to controlling games. He's the corner-stone of Barcelona and Spain's recent success. Very much like Scholes, only better, IMO.

Iniesta is the best player when it comes to making the difference in the big, tight games (Champions League SF and F 2009, WC F 2010).

Fabregas is Xavi's natural successor, but doesn't have the luxury/ability to completely control games because he has the responsibility of making things happen in the final third as well at Arsenal, while Xavi can rely on the likes of Messi/Iniesta to do that at Barca.

Xabi Alonso is a very similar player to Pirlo, excellent deep-lying playmaker who can't quite run games like Xavi because he lacks his mobility and close-control. Very pure striker of a ball.

Busquets is your archetypal annoying DM who fouls, dives and generally gets up people's noses but every successful team needs one of those. I actually thought Barca played better with Yaya Toure in that role, he offered more going forward as well.

Spain have an embarrassment of riches in midfield, most teams would kill to have one player of that quality.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw a replay of the goal...actually, even that pass doesn't look offside. Close though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Benefit of the doubt for trying to stab someone in the chest with your studs?
It's perfectly reasonable on one live viewing to think that he tries to take the ball down without realising there's a player so close by.

Arguably a red anyway, just because it's so unnecessarily reckless and dangerous, but there's definitely enough doubt to give the benefit of if Webb doesn't think so. Puyol's was even more of a straight red, imo.

grecian

Did my post get deleted, shame, one of my best efforts, oh and I was sober BTW.

I'll still make the point that coming into a football thread and saying the Sport is rubbish, is a little poor, and trolling really as we don't do it to other sports.

Was a terrible World Cup though, a bit like the last cricket one, can't condemn a sport that thrives in hundreds of countries at thousands of level on one tournament, no matter if it is the show-piece.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Have just read through the Dutch newspapers. They are all blaming Webb for the loss. Geez, I was mildly embarassed to be Dutch last night, now I'm a full-fledged orangophobic.

pasag

RTDAS
Have just read through the Dutch newspapers. They are all blaming Webb for the loss. Geez, I was mildly embarassed to be Dutch last night, now I'm a full-fledged orangophobic.
That's made headlines over here as well (link). Thought they really embarrassed themselves last night, the way they carried on.