• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Germany v Spain (Semi Final 2)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Find this all a bit hard to take from someone who idealizes Rafa Benitez.

Anyway Germany were great to watch but most of the goals came on the counter attack, we saw very little of that against a truly class side today. Spain have not been at their best but outside their first match they have always found a way through.
Yeah, I for one am thankful we won't be seeing Benitez's brand of football anymore in England.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think people are forgetting that Spain, even with their possession, haven't created an awful lot of chances throughout the tourney. They've been using their possession to defend more than attack IMO. I really wouldn't call them very attacking, let alone refer to them in the same breath as Brazil in 1970.

vcs

That's why teams who don't score succeed...
You missed the point, I meant that time spent in goal-mouth action probably constitutes at most 2-3% of even the most exciting, high-scoring games.. so everything else that takes place on the football pitch is boring? I don't understand how keeping possession in midfield the way Spain do makes for a boring game.. but each to his own. I'd much rather this than a Stoke-Hull hoof-fest.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There's a difference between keeping possession to score goals and keeping possession for possession's sake.

vcs

There's a difference between keeping possession to score goals and keeping possession for possession's sake.
Well, more shame on the other side that's willing to park the bus and not make them work hard to retain the ball. They're the ones you should be looking to blame.

And why exactly would Spain want to keep possession for possession's sake, in a WC semi, at 0-0? It's not as if they have any reason to play out a draw. Hell, they weren't even time-wasting cynically at 1-0 up, they were always looking for the quick counter.. it just didn't work out for them today.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, more shame on the other side that's willing to park the bus and not make them work hard to retain the ball. They're the ones you should be looking to blame.

And why exactly would Spain want to keep possession for possession's sake, in a WC semi, at 0-0? It's not as if they have any reason to play out a draw. Hell, they weren't even time-wasting cynically at 1-0 up, they were always looking for the quick counter.. it just didn't work out for them today.
Germany parked the bus? They had 49% possession. Even before Spain scored and went in a shell it was about 45% which is not really parking the bus is it? Against England and Argentina they also had 48% and 47% respectively. Spain also regularly have ~60% against most opponents. It was a decent pressing effort.

I think had Spain played a more expansive passing game they would have been picked off. Look, I am not knocking them wanting to win and playing to their strengths. I just don't share the same appreciation for it.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Also Muller's absence was big IMO. He missed the game for a stupid yellow, a clearly accidental/incoincidental handball.

vcs

Germany parked the bus? They had 49% possession. Even before Spain scored and went in a shell it was about 45% which is not really parking the bus is it? Against England and Argentina they also had 48% and 47% respectively.

I think had Spain played a more expansive passing game they would have been picked off. Look, I am not knocking them wanting to win and playing to their strengths. I just don't share the same appreciation for it.
Parking the bus is stretching it a bit, that would be what Inter did against Barcelona. But you just said Spain were keeping possession for the sake of it, didn't you? Not that I agree with it, but that would imply that the Germans were happy to let them have the ball.

The actual fact is that Germany played a lot more direct, counter-attacking style with quick build-up, but Spain restricted them to very few opportunities, while creating enough of their own to win the game. Both teams were playing to win, in different ways.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should follow England's lead and just widly blooter the ball towards the opposition's goal, that's been a proven success over the last 40 years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Parking the bus is stretching it a bit, that would be what Inter did against Barcelona. But you just said Spain were keeping possession for the sake of it, didn't you? Not that I agree with it, but that would imply that the Germans were happy to let them have the ball.
I'd argue that is what Spain would want. That's the whole tactic: you get the team without possession pressing and moving out of position and you can cut them open. I'd say it's similar tactic in that it's also a counter - or a reactive - plan.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All those rubbishing Spain, they've come into this tournament massively depleted. Xavi, Torres, Iniesta and Cesc were all fitness doubts, they've got a coach who isn't getting the best out of the side tactically, yet they've still strolled to a final.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should follow England's lead and just widly blooter the ball towards the opposition's goal, that's been a proven success over the last 40 years.
And you wonder why people have a go at Scotland immediately after some of your posts.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
All those rubbishing Spain, they've come into this tournament massively depleted. Xavi, Torres, Iniesta and Cesc were all fitness doubts, they've got a coach who isn't getting the best out of the side tactically, yet they've still strolled to a final.
Strolled? They barely made it out of the group and probably should have lost against Paraguay.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd argue that is what Spain would want. That's the whole tactic: you get the team without possession pressing and moving out of position and you can cut them open. I'd say it's similar tactic in that it's also a counter - or a reactive - plan.
Funnily enough, exactly what Germany have been praised to the heavens for doing all tournament.

The only difference between the sides is that Spain have lacked the Germans' cutting edge because of their injury problems. Get Torres, Cesc, Xavi and Iniesta fully fit and I reckon they'd have demolished at least one side the same way Germany did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And you wonder why people have a go at Scotland immediately after some of your posts.
I'd have used Scotland as an example if we were good enough to actually win possession for long enough to blooter it in the direction of the opposition's goal.

edit: it wasn't meant to be a massive go at England, but England are the best example of a big team being poor in possession.