• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Germany v Spain (Semi Final 2)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Currently rooting a half-Spanish girl, apparently we're not speaking Wednesday, hoping for an angry root afterwards.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Germany have looked much better so far in the knockout stages but this Spain midfield can run rings around Schweinsteiger and Khedira if they play upto potential and Del Bosque picks the right combination. Hopefully they and the Dutch can make it a "typical World Cup underachievers" clash in the final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jerry by plenty. Spain already choking hard.

Germany's movement is a thing of beauty too, tbh. Look so much the better team.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not much changed since the Euro final. Germany still playing the brand of football they have since 06, lovely to look at but ultimately comes up short.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Germany, and I hope they win the lot, and I suspect if they polish off Spain then they will. Have surely got enough in the tank to see off Holland or Uruguay.

Last edited:

Bobisback

International Regular
Got Germany in my works sweeps. Love to see Spain Holland final, but money makes me want Germany.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not much changed since the Euro final. Germany still playing the brand of football they have since 06, lovely to look at but ultimately comes up short.
Not how I remember it, tbh. Germany seemed to be running on fumes for most of that tournament. Had a piss easy group (in which they lost to the vastly overrated Croatians), admittedly looked great in the quarters v Portugal but needed a last minute Lahm goal to overcome the game but very limited and suspension-ravaged Turkey in the semi. Spain played the more attractive football of the two I'd say.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not how I remember it, tbh. Germany seemed to be running on fumes for most of that tournament. Had a piss easy group (in which they lost to the vastly overrated Croatians), admittedly looked great in the quarters v Portugal but needed a last minute Lahm goal to overcome the game but very limited and suspension-ravaged Turkey in the semi. Spain played the more attractive football of the two I'd say.
Tables have turned for this tournament.

Spain are practically running on empty, and have come into this tournament with all their major players bar Villa nursing injuries.

On paper Spain should win, but the form of the two teams coming into the match for me makes the Germans slight favourites.

Craig

World Traveller
I can't believe Bastian Schweinsteiger is only 25, I would of wagered that he was older then that. Guy's been around for a while.

Matteh

25 years to be exact....

He's got 70 odd caps already, should be odds on to beat the German caps record no problem.

vcs

Tables have turned for this tournament.

Spain are practically running on empty, and have come into this tournament with all their major players bar Villa nursing injuries.

On paper Spain should win, but the form of the two teams coming into the match for me makes the Germans slight favourites.
Yeah, agreed. Looking at the depth of talent in this Spanish side, they will never get a better chance to break their WC duck, but they will have to play much better than they have done so far to get past the Germans.

vcs

I never really bought into the Argentina hype.. they were massively flattered by some of their earlier results IMO. I just hope Spain turn up and don't make any early defensive errors because this could be a great contest.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Germany quite strong favourites for mine. They just beat Argentina 4-0 ffs.
I'd make Germany marginal favourites.

Looking at the two teams on paper, I'd expect Spain to triumph most of the time, as they have better players.

However, football isn't played on paper, and given the respective showings of the two nations thus far at the World Cup, Germany should win.

If Spain turn up and play like they're capable, it's a different story, which is why I wouldn't make Germany strong favourites.

Pothas

It is an obvious point but first goal is so key.

If Spain get it then that poses a very different question for Germany. Most of their goals against England and Argentina were down to great counter atacking against dreadfull defences, they will not be able to do that against a Spannish side that is one goal up and keeps the ball so well.

Hope Spain play Cesc though, made a difference when he came on yesterday.