• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Germany v Spain (Semi Final 2)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keep tipping Germany to lose, even against England for some reason, must have been a moment of patriotic madness.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
have my money on Germany, although I fear the loss of Muller will be to big.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Much as I'd like Germany to win, I think this might be one step too far, particularly with Muller out. Hope I am wrong though. Have enjoyed watching them far more than any other team in this tournament.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tipping Germany to repeat the effort of 1936 and have a deleterious effect on the Spanish defence.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Rooting for Germany, but really my main concern is just that this semi produces the losing semi finalist. Should be a belter of a game. Not convinced by Spain in this tournament but they've done enough thus far.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's my fear - I think it was Uppercut who said that Germany, as good as they've been, seem to be playing at maximum capacity whereas Spain have made it to the same point without ever nearing top form. The feeling is that Spain still have another gear or two to hit, whereas perhaps Germany have peaked.

Still fully behind Jerry though.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Germany 2

Spain 1

Germany to score first, Spain to draw level and Podolski to get the winner... in extra time.

inb4 Spain win 2 - 0.

Netherlands to win the whole fruit basket...and draw level with Eng and Fra.

Uppercut

Yeah that's my fear - I think it was Uppercut who said that Germany, as good as they've been, seem to be playing at maximum capacity whereas Spain have made it to the same point without ever nearing top form. The feeling is that Spain still have another gear or two to hit, whereas perhaps Germany have peaked.
I think that's become quite overstated. You'd much rather go into the game having played the way Germany have than go into it having played the way Spain have. To me the theory of "peaking too soon" only really means that every match is a new start, and it's irrelevant how teams have performed up to that point. It certainly doesn't imply that a team that played badly earlier in the tournament is more likely to play well in the latter stages than a team that's been fantastic all the way through.

Besides, even if Germany can't really get any better, they don't need to. If they match their last two performances, they'll win the vast majority of the time.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So it wasn't you who said it then? :p

Agreed though - if Germany can produce another England/Argentina performance they'll win this.

pasag

RTDAS
It's ridiculous they don't take into account Australian timezones when setting these matches.

Uppercut

So it wasn't you who said it then? :p

Agreed though - if Germany can produce another England/Argentina performance they'll win this.
Haha, I don't think so. They've been the best team, and while the best team doesn't usually win the tournament, they win it more often than anyone else does.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting selection bringing in Pedro.

So presumably Spain will now have zero players in the box when they're trying to walk it into the net. That is apart from the once in a while time they successfully walk it into the box obviously.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Germany haven't been behind yet."

8-) Really, Alan? Not even in the game they lost? Bugs me when chaps who're (presumably) well paid to talk about football make such obvious errors in basic fact.