• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Uruguay v Netherlands (Semi Final 1)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
WERE IN THE FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSWSSSSS

going nuts here personally!!!

WESLEY :wub:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Goal of the tournament right there. Dutch will have to step it up to beat either of the other semi-finalists one feels.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shocking commentary from ITV tonight, seemed desperate to do the game down. The way it was described you would have thought it was a horrible 1-0 or something. and why no 'expert' commentator?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Shocking commentary from ITV tonight, seemed desperate to do the game down. The way it was described you would have thought it was a horrible 1-0 or something. and why no 'expert' commentator?
Haha I wondered this. I could tell immediately that there was something strange about the commentary, other than it being just generally worse than usual. It took me until about half way though the second half to realise that there was no so called "expert" on the scene for today. Can't say I missed them much, just meant we got more concentrated useless babble rather than a combination of 2 blithering idiots. Not sure why the commentry tried to put such a downer on the game though, wasn't the best match by any means, and it did get a bit scrappy at times, but it was hardly one of the worst games ever.

Pothas

I did not realise until well into the second half either.

Was not the best game ever played but there were 5 goals! and some very good ones.

At one point he said 'two long range strikes' as if were a bad thing.

ITV just crap, clearly just put out that England were not in it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I did not realise until well into the second half either.

Was not the best game ever played but there were 5 goals! and some very good ones.

At one point he said 'two long range strikes' as if were a bad thing.

ITV just crap, clearly just put out that England were not in it.
Almost certainly the case I would say. Did you see the Gazza Tears program on the other night? Basically told the story of the 1990 World Cup and how England did amazingly to get to the semi-final etc.. etc... Not a bad program by any means, but...to air it on the eve of the semi-finals this time around?...Coincidence? I think not. Was clearly produced with the intention of England being in one of the semi-finals.

Pothas

Was summed up when Southgate at the end of the game said 'who were they playing again?'

Was greeted with laughter, its not England so we don't care is what they wanted to say.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also interesting, I don't quite remember your posts regarding Henry's hand ball incident. Be interested if you appreciated that. Just because he wasn't caught doesn't change the fact as to whether you'd back France because of it.
Barely commented on it, spent the whole time ranting about Shay Given for letting the ball drop in the middle of his ****ing six yard box tbf. The fact that Henry's handball was done with the intention of tricking the referee whereas Suarez's wasn't trying to fool anyone (and unlike Henry, did what every footballer in the world would have done) make it slightly different. There's something sneaky about that which people in the UK seem to particularly dislike. But even so, the fact that I don't like it when it happens against the team that I support entirely justifies the act, frankly.

As for siding with Uruguay, it's kinda a response to everyone hating on them so much. Great game that. Well done Netherlands :).

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was summed up when Southgate at the end of the game said 'who were they playing again?'

Was greeted with laughter, its not England so we don't care is what they wanted to say.
Urgh, typical ITV really. My estimation of Southgate has gone down massively over the course of this tournament. Beforehand I thought he was a relatively nice, and clean cut (albet crap) lad. But he has made some incredibly stupid and cutting remarks which have just made him look like a complete idiot. Good job the BBC is covering the other semi tomorrow, hopefully we'll get Clarence again.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He explained that Jim Beglin had been taken ill at the last minute.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Urgh, typical ITV really. My estimation of Southgate has gone down massively over the course of this tournament. Beforehand I thought he was a relatively nice, and clean cut (albet crap) lad. But he has made some incredibly stupid and cutting remarks which have just made him look like a complete idiot. Good job the BBC is covering the other semi tomorrow, hopefully we'll get Clarence again.
Went up in my estimation when England were knocked out, seemed to be the only one on ITV who tried to open up the debate to question whether the EPL and the players within were actually worthy of the hype they get, and made the valid point that 3 managers, none of whom are bad managers when you consider the success they've had at club level, had failed with the 'Golden Generation', and was shouted down by Townsend acting like a 5 year old.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Van Persie finally had an excellent game, I thought. He's been poor so far in this tournament.

biased indian

International Coach
how Van Bommel is in the good books of almost every referee ????
he finally got one yesterday in the 93rd minute though what was that for arguing with referee ??