Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Uruguay v Netherlands (Semi Final 1)

Uruguay are moving the ball around really well at the moment.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I'm backing them because I stand to win money for that. A much more noble reason than backing cheaters.

SilentStriker having far too much influence on this forum when cheaters are revered.
    It's not cheating. He knew the punishment and he openly did it knowing it. It's knowing the rules and openly using them to help your team.

And if you aren't willing to cop a one game suspension to guarantee your team a spot in the semi final, you shouldn't be playing on a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Think people are rather understating the magnitude of the keeper's cock-up. It was a regulation curling shot and he completely botched it, wasn't one that randomly swerved or anything.

Other than that not sure how the teams scraped two goals out of that half with Dirk Kuyt, not many men committed forward, Dirk Kuyt, incompetent linesmanship, decent and well organised defences and Dirk Kuyt.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

How awesome was Forlan's goal. Went nuts!

Keeper ****ed it up, but still Forlan made some space and took the shot.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Think people are rather understating the magnitude of the keeper's cock-up. It was a regulation curling shot and he completely botched it, wasn't one that randomly swerved or anything.
    Looked like he came in off his line a bit when he had no reason to. Was a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's not cheating. He knew the punishment and he openly did it knowing it. It's knowing the rules and openly using them to help your team.

And if you aren't willing to cop a one game suspension to guarantee your team a spot in the semi final, you shouldn't be playing on a team.
    Haha, nah mate it is cheating.

If I try and cheat in an exam by bringing in papers I'm not allowed to do, it is cheating. It doesn't make a difference if I'm caught and the punishment is an instant fail, or I'm caught and the punishment is that I have to stand in the corner for 2 minutes, which I'd be more than happy to do in order to have the advantage of the papers.

If you break the law, knowing the punishment and accept being caught, you still have committed a criminal act.

Hence if you break a rule in sport, even if you know the punishment and accept it, you still have cheated.

And I never said Suarez shouldn't have done what he did for his country. It isn't a reason to support the team though. You'd think players that can get through by largely following the rules would be the ones to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha, nah mate it is cheating.

If I try and cheat in an exam by bringing in papers I'm not allowed to do, it is cheating. It doesn't make a difference if I'm caught and the punishment is an instant fail, or I'm caught and the punishment is that I have to stand in the corner for 2 minutes, which I'd be more than happy to do in order to have the advantage of the papers.

If you break the law, knowing the punishment and accept being caught, you still have committed a criminal act.

Hence if you break a rule in sport, even if you know the punishment and accept it, you still have cheated.

And I never said Suarez shouldn't have done what he did for his country. It isn't a reason to support the team though. You'd think players that can get through by largely following the rules would be the ones to support.
    OK, can you count the number of players who are pulling on shirts on a corner kick?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Of course it's cheating. Deliberate breaking of any sport's agreed rules is exactly that.

Wasn't guaranteeing his team a semi-final slot either, if Gyan hadn't jibbed the pen he'd just be another footnote.

Anyway, very weird half. Was definitely hoping for more from the Dutch.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Wasn't guaranteeing his team a semi-final slot either, if Gyan hadn't jibbed the pen he'd just be another footnote.
    It was guaranteeing them a chance is what I should have said. Without it, it was a guaranteed plane ticket home.

OK, can you count the number of players who are pulling on shirts on a corner kick?
    You point to me the post where I said I support *ENTER TEAM* because they pull opposition players shirts in the penalty box, and I'll get back to you.

My point was supporting a player/team because he intentionally cheats is incredible.

Shows committment to do whats best for the team tbh.

Training bloody hard and being willing to go that extra mile shows commitment too. Also within the rules.

Again, not arguing that Suarez shouldn't have done it necessarily (I've argued for a rule change anyway to prevent it from being an option) but my point is that it shouldn't be revered as a great trait.

Smacks of "I'll support the act to spite those that want a rule change because of it"
    Last edited by Jono; 06-07-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Backing Uruguay over the whole Suarez thing
    Also interesting, I don't quite remember your posts regarding Henry's hand ball incident. Be interested if you appreciated that. Just because he wasn't caught doesn't change the fact as to whether you'd back France because of it.

Starting to develop a grudging respect for Van Bommel TBH - anyone who has done so much legwork as to have incriminating photos of every ref in the world to avoid ever getting booked has clearly earned it.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Robben, FFS. Gotta be hitting the target there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information