• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Uruguay vs Ghana (Quarter-Final Two)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So you're telling me deliberate handball is the first thing on any defender's mind in that situation on the line. I ask again, why don't we see it more often then? Or is it just a case of there not being that many truly professional footballers around?

If common sense suggests that's a reasonable way to go about things then you're probably right.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So you're telling me deliberate handball is the first thing on any defender's mind in that situation on the line. I ask again, why don't we see it more often then? Or is it just a case of there not being that many truly professional footballers around?

If common sense suggests that's a reasonable way to go about things then you're probably right.
You don't see it more often because that sort of goalmouth scramble isn't common place, and then when it does happen the penalty will usually be scored and no one will give a toss that the defender stopped it with his hands.

Jarquis

It's not as simple as that.
If you think you can block it with something other than your hand, you use that.
You'll say Suarez could've tried heading it, but as has been said before, in the biggest game of your professional career so far, do you risk attempting to head it, risk missing it, risk putting it on a plate for a Ghana player? Or do you use your hands, knowing you've saved the goal?

If they were 4-0 up in their first group game, maybe he would've tried heading it.

Son Of Coco

Doesn't the guy stood infront of Suarez try doing exactly the same thing? :laugh:
Yeah he does, tries to tip it over the bar :laugh:

Heading it would have obviously been unsuccessful. Don't think it's fair though that Ghana got into a position to score and the goalkeeper was out of the equation only for the ball to be illegally stopped going in the net. Obviously the rules are there to allow them a shot with only the keeper to beat when that happens, but the defender having a choice that basically gives his team a chance when they've basically been beaten doesn't seem right..

Anyway, regardless of what I think it doesn't matter does it!? The rules are the rules and whether they seem farcical to some or not that won't change. Don't see the point in continually saying (or hearing) the same thing.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

It's not the first thing, but when there's no other option to stop the ball the vast majority would do it.

Similarly if a bloke's bearing down on an open goal and you could stop him by taking his legs from under him knowing you'll probably get a red for your troubles you'll probably do just that.

Happens in all sports, tbf. In union you see players killing the ball at the ruck to buy time and in league a tackler will hold on just that moment longer to allow the defence to regroup. 'Snot right, but it does happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't think so mate. No different to imagining everyone would do it.
Alan Shearer just said that he reckons anyone would do it, as Marcuss pointed out his team-mate tried to do it. if you can get your head or chest or whatever to it, go for it. That's why it's not so common.

Son Of Coco

It's not the first thing, but when there's no other option to stop the ball the vast majority would do it.

Similarly if a bloke's bearing down on an open goal and you could stop him by taking his legs from under him knowing you'll probably get a red for your troubles you'll probably do just that.

Happens in all sports, tbf. In union you see players killing the ball at the ruck to buy time and in league a tackler will hold on just that moment longer to allow the defence to regroup. 'Snot right, but it does happen.
True, but in sports like league and union you have the penalty try to deal with professional fouls when a try was a certainty so it's a little different.

Jarquis

Yeah, it's not a case of everytime there's a goal line clearance players try using their hands.
It's just a case of in a World Cup quarterfinal with the scores level and milliseconds left on the clock, there's no chance you're clearing it with anything other than your hands... then in that situation you'd be mad not to do it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
True, but in sports like league and union you have the penalty try to deal with professional fouls when a try was a certainty so it's a little different.
Yeah but the difference is a penalty kick should always be scored whereas in Rugby it'd be harder to give such a clear opportunity to score a try, other than providing them a walkthrough, so you may as well give a penalty try.

Son Of Coco

Yeah but the difference is a penalty kick should always be scored whereas in Rugby it'd be harder to give such a clear opportunity to score a try, other than providing them a walkthrough, so you may as well give a penalty try.
It should, but it gives the defending team a chance again doesn't it?

As I said before, this'll go on all night and I'll be forced to stop it with my hand. Will have to pull up stumps.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't see it more often because that sort of goalmouth scramble isn't common place, and then when it does happen the penalty will usually be scored and no one will give a toss that the defender stopped it with his hands.

exactly this.

normally there is no fuss about something like this.

L Trumper

State Regular
Most direct red cards in the World Cup lead to two-match suspensions.

But hey, let's not let that get in the way of conspiracy theories.
Hmm. No. Red cards where panel deems players intentions are against the spirit of the game will result in more than one match ban. Both cahill and kewell's red cards are only one match bans, because they are not intentional fouls. Hand clearance has always been one match ban, because its not hurting any other player physically. Then again committee always goes case by case..

R_D

International Debutant
Poor Ghana. Really hoped they'd go through. Have a dislike of Uruguay after their scumbag suppirters saw fit to spit on our blokes when we went there for a qualifier for the 02 WC.

That and the way Recoba carried on here when we beat them to qualify last time.

And kudos to the fella who missed the ET penalty in stepping up first in the shootout.
Yeah i remember that... that was ****ing disgraceful.
They haven't changed much... bunch of cheats... hope they get flogged by the Dutch team.

R_D

International Debutant
Mate.. Football is a sport where cheating is part and parcel of the game....
Most Fans don't seem to have problem with it.. matter infact... they expect their players to do it.... If it gives them the advantage.

How is having to score a penalty and clear goal same thing though ?

Personally love football but can see why many people don't appreciate it....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Red cards where panel deems players intentions are against the spirit of the game will result in more than one match ban. .
Think you've hit the nail on the head :p

But yeah, better explanation than I had. Still, it's not 'making an example', or 'punishing Uruguay for the consequences'....it's just applying the rules. Blatant, intentional handball on the line = >1-match ban.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If people are saying "anyone would do it" then clearly its time for the rules to change in such an obvious situation where a team is being denied a goal due to blatant breaking of the rules.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If people are saying "anyone would do it" then clearly its time for the rules to change in such an obvious situation where a team is being denied a goal due to blatant breaking of the rules.
Clearly it isn't. Leaving Stuart Atwell to one side you can't award goals that haven't been scored. The "breaking of the rules" is punished by a red card and a penalty kick.