Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Uruguay vs Ghana (Quarter-Final Two)

Fell asleep on 85 mins. Regret it.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Wow, that is seriously ****ed up. The punishment is well worth the crime at the minute.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Ghana have nothing to feel aggrieved about. Yeah, technically it was cheating but Suarez had no choice, he was duly punished, and Ghana bottled their chance to win it without penalties.
    yeah this, hope they make it past the orange highly unlikely though.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    tbh one bloke who should be copping more of a bagging is the guy who had his shot blocked on the line before the fateful header. Picked out the legs of the one defender standing on the line from about 4 yards out.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Seems unjust that it was not a penalty goal. Rotten Uruguayans (love trying to spell that)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Your whole team misses the next game if you don't use your hands though.
    But what makes this different is that it is in literally the last second. With the red card, if it happens at any other stage you put yourself at a disadvantage, plus give away a likely goal anyway.

There was really only a benefit in this situation with there being all of .23 of a second left.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    tbh one bloke who should be copping more of a bagging is the guy who had his shot blocked on the line before the fateful header. Picked out the legs of the one defender standing on the line from about 4 yards out.
    Haha, it was a bit of a mess in the goal square though.

Don't think anyone should be copping more of a bagging than Suarez, what he did was piss weak.

Personally I hope Uruguay lose 8-0 in the next match and Suarez breaks his leg on the way out of the stadium. Won't happen though...
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 03-07-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Captain
    Can't believe anyone is having a go at Suarez. He did what he had to do and what every player in the world would do. This wasn't an attempted con in the Maradona/Henry tradition.

I'm not sure every player in the world would do it though to be honest. Obviously I can't speak for them, but if that's true why don't we see it more often?

Don't think it's any better than what the other two did.

His teammates and the country's supporters would wholeheartedly disagree however

Can't believe what a farce this sport is with the blokes getting red carded when their opponents blatantly dive, obvious goals and blatant off-sides being missed, and professional fouls being used to manipulate knock out matches. People can say that "this is football" but all I can think at the moment is imagine the anguish self-flaggelation and recriminations that would be going on if similar events happened in a cricket world cup. Only ever had a marginal interest in the sport, and this world cup has pretty much turned me off the game for good I'd say (and nothing to do with the Aussies getting knocked out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Can't believe anyone is having a go at Suarez. He did what he had to do and what every player in the world would do. This wasn't an attempted con in the Maradona/Henry tradition.
    Yeah it's true

Can see why people are saying it's harsh but really, a professional footballer should always hit the target from a spot-kick. The way some people are carrying on it's like it was hard cheese and Ghana never got a chance to score. They got a penalty. A one on one from twelve yards. You have no right to complain if you miss from the spot.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I know Pietersen couldn't bat three because of his groin injury... but Yardy? itstl.
    Uruguay V Ghana? Really?

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Can't believe what a farce this sport is with the blokes getting red carded when their opponents blatantly dive, obvious goals and blatant off-sides being missed, and professional fouls being used to manipulate knock out matches. People can say that "this is football" but all I can think at the moment is imagine the anguish self-flaggelation and recriminations that would be going on if similar events happened in a cricket world cup. Only ever had a marginal interest in the sport, and this world cup has pretty much turned me off the game for good I'd say (and nothing to do with the Aussies getting knocked out).
    I doubt too many real association football followers would disagree with you on any point there. I'd never hold the game up as a morally superior alternative because it's obviously not. Cheating is endemic (shirt pulling at corners is a personal hobby horse of mine; I reckon a ref could give a pen at pretty much any set piece where he so minded), as are wrong decisions and self-interest.

I spend a lot of time despairing of the sport and wondering how something so clearly flawed in so many respects is so popular; I don't know how any father could look at a player rolling on the floor in a paroxysm of agony, only to be resurrected Lazarus-like moments later by the award of a free-kick or the brandishing of a card and say "Yeah, this is the sport I want my son to play".

Ultimately, I always come back to that quote by Denis Pratt (AKA Quentin Crisp) who said "It's no good running a pig farm badly for 30 years while saying, 'Really, I was meant to be a ballet dancer.' By then, pigs will be your style." That's how I feel about what you'd call soccer and I'd call football; it's my style. It was ingrained at an early age and can't shake it off.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Think there's a difference between the goalkeeper being out of the equation and beating the defender basically fair and square and being denied a goal, and then having to beat the keeper in a penalty situation.

Ghana should score from the penalty spot for sure, but whether it becomes any easier when you've just seen your team denied a certain victory through what amounts to cheating is probably slightly debatable.

I know they're professional footballers, but it must have been hard not to stand over the penalty thinking "We just won the game, what the ****!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Think there's a difference between the goalkeeper being out of the equation and beating the defender basically fair and square and being denied a goal, and then having to beat the keeper in a penalty situation.

Ghana should score from the penalty spot for sure, but whether it becomes any easier when you've just seen your team denied a certain victory through what amounts to cheating is probably slightly debatable.

I know they're professional footballers, but it must have been hard not to stand over the penalty thinking "We just won the game, what the ****!?"
    They would also have been thinking they'd have done the same thing. It's as simple as that really and ultimately I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information