• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Uruguay vs Ghana (Quarter-Final Two)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If he tried to head it and missed it, surely questions would be asked about why he didn't get his hands up...
Nah, if he goes with his head and misses it there would be noone that would have asked why he didnt cheat.

I am asking if such a thing has been discussed before and if so, what was the reasoning behind the rule?
I see the logic but at the end of the day the ball didnt go in and the game is about rewarding what actually happened rather than what may have happened.

If the ref is allowed to start assuming things it sets a very dangerous precedent, IMHO.
Agreed. There is something to the suggestion of 'penalty goals' but it is dangerous ground and just doeant fit with the randomness and unstructured feel of football.

On a seperate note, I missed the game as I took the kids to the park :@

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, if he goes with his head and misses it there would be noone that would have asked why he didnt cheat.
Hmm. I ask that all the time, especially when someone has the chance to bring someone down at the start of a dangerous break that leads to a goal. These Uruguayans seem to like a bit of their cheating so I think he might well have been questioned on it.

Burgey

Poor Ghana. Really hoped they'd go through. Have a dislike of Uruguay after their scumbag suppirters saw fit to spit on our blokes when we went there for a qualifier for the 02 WC.

That and the way Recoba carried on here when we beat them to qualify last time.

And kudos to the fella who missed the ET penalty in stepping up first in the shootout.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope Uruguay get the flogging they so richly deserve after last night's game. A handball like that to deny Ghana the win deserves so much more than a red card. At least Uruguay are consistent though, they're still filthy cheating ****s.

vcs

Ghana have nothing to feel aggrieved about. Yeah, technically it was cheating but Suarez had no choice, he was duly punished, and Ghana bottled their chance to win it without penalties.

Son Of Coco

Well, it was 100% a goal with the keeper out of the frame and Suarez not being in a position to keep it out without using his hands.

They did miss the penalty, but I could understand them feeling a bit pissed off.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, that is seriously ****ed up. The punishment is well worth the crime at the minute.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ghana have nothing to feel aggrieved about. Yeah, technically it was cheating but Suarez had no choice, he was duly punished, and Ghana bottled their chance to win it without penalties.
yeah this, hope they make it past the orange highly unlikely though.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh one bloke who should be copping more of a bagging is the guy who had his shot blocked on the line before the fateful header. Picked out the legs of the one defender standing on the line from about 4 yards out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Your whole team misses the next game if you don't use your hands though.
But what makes this different is that it is in literally the last second. With the red card, if it happens at any other stage you put yourself at a disadvantage, plus give away a likely goal anyway.

There was really only a benefit in this situation with there being all of .23 of a second left.

Son Of Coco

tbh one bloke who should be copping more of a bagging is the guy who had his shot blocked on the line before the fateful header. Picked out the legs of the one defender standing on the line from about 4 yards out.
Haha, it was a bit of a mess in the goal square though.

Don't think anyone should be copping more of a bagging than Suarez, what he did was piss weak.

Personally I hope Uruguay lose 8-0 in the next match and Suarez breaks his leg on the way out of the stadium. Won't happen though...

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe anyone is having a go at Suarez. He did what he had to do and what every player in the world would do. This wasn't an attempted con in the Maradona/Henry tradition.

Son Of Coco

I'm not sure every player in the world would do it though to be honest. Obviously I can't speak for them, but if that's true why don't we see it more often?

Don't think it's any better than what the other two did.

His teammates and the country's supporters would wholeheartedly disagree however :happy:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Can't believe what a farce this sport is with the blokes getting red carded when their opponents blatantly dive, obvious goals and blatant off-sides being missed, and professional fouls being used to manipulate knock out matches. People can say that "this is football" but all I can think at the moment is imagine the anguish self-flaggelation and recriminations that would be going on if similar events happened in a cricket world cup. Only ever had a marginal interest in the sport, and this world cup has pretty much turned me off the game for good I'd say (and nothing to do with the Aussies getting knocked out).