• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Uruguay vs Ghana (Quarter-Final Two)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah, that's all I was asking. I find it a little odd that such situation had not come up before in the huge history...

Hopefully this is cause for a change in rules.
It has, I remember a League Cup Final wher A scouser handballed in the final minute against the Irons, I think. Yet the pen taker was Ray Stewart, so it was a tad pointless.

Won't change the rules, football fans want goals scored, and this is something I agree with TBH. Unjust that it may seem.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That was a real sickner. In the unlikely event of Uruguay getting any further I hope FIFA ban that **** from the final.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It has, I remember a League Cup Final wher A scouser handballed in the final minute against the Irons, I think. Yet the pen taker was Ray Stewart, so it was a tad pointless.

Won't change the rules, football fans want goals scored, and this is something I agree with TBH. Unjust that it may seem.
Right now, if you know the ball is going in and the only way you can stop it is with your hands, there is no downside to using them, correct?

Ah.. However, if the fans have experienced it, and are OK with it...

I find that reasoning a bit odd but if the fans like it this way - it's fair enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah, that's all I was asking. I find it a little odd that such situation had not come up before in the huge history...

Hopefully this is cause for a change in rules.
Absolutely won't be and nor should it. It was a professional foul to prevent a goal. Red card and penalty sufficient punishment.

Situation has come up dozens of times; once earlier in this world cup in fact (Harry Kewell v Ghana too, ironically enough).

If the ref is allowed to start assuming things it sets a very dangerous precedent, IMHO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Absolutely won't be and nor should it. It was a professional foul to prevent a goal. Red card and penalty sufficient punishment.

Situation has come up dozens of times; once earlier in this world cup in fact (Harry Kewell v Ghana too, ironically enough).

If the ref is allowed to start assuming things it sets a very dangerous precedent, IMHO.
Maybe with the introduction of goal line technology, it might be worth taking a look at? But it does look like people are OK with it, which is something I didn't expect...so fair enough then.

Jarquis

Hence I was asking for reasoning, not a restatement of the rules......
But the reason the rules are the way they are is because it's been deemed that's the best they can be.
People, largely are happy with the punishments and what not the way they are.
Why should they be changed?

grecian

I'm in favour of video technology myself, and a lot of changes (I actually don't see the point of offside:unsure:), but yeah we like a goal scored so with the powers that be, on this one. Stinks and all, but that's football, it's a very weird sport as you've probably realised SS:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm in favour of video technology myself, and a lot of changes (I actually don't see the point of offside:unsure:), but yeah we like a goal scored so with the powers that be, on this one. Stinks and all, but that's football, it's a very weird sport as you've probably realised SS:)
So in this situation, per the rules, there is really no downside to using your hands right?

grecian

So in this situation, per the rules, there is really no downside to using your hands right?

Well he'll miss matches, but for the team, no not really. Yet I think you'd rather clear it cleanly and not have the pen, so it's not a free-for-all. Happens very rarely, that example I gave was early eighties, but back then I'm not even sure you were sent off. Must have happened lots of other times, but I can't think of many:unsure:

Jarquis

Pretty sure I can remember it happening in the Premiership at some point.
Probably made it up tbh.

Last edited:

Pothas

Your whole team misses the next game if you don't use your hands though.
Exactly, it may be a horrible unjustice but it is one that most players would commit in that given situation.

Not goint blame him much but feel horribly for Ghana.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lost a lot of sympathy from me when he behaved like such a total pansy, tbh. Footballers crying is distinctly unmanly, IMHO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Abreu was rubbish.. but amazing guts to pull off a "Panenka" when 3 straight pens were missed!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
remember a Scot clearing it off the line with his hands against Norway in a qualifier 4-5 years back.

Norway scored the pen and won 1-0

grecian

You know I'm normally with you on crying Brumbers, but he did seem generally overwrought, maybe I'm getting soft in my dotage, so to speak.