• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Brazil (Quarter-Final One)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no tongue in cheek emoticon. Kuyt's was the tap-in off the post from about a yard out.

L Trumper

State Regular
have you seen brazil play football?

Maicon and Baston will be utterly hopeless against quality wingers (Elia, Robben)

The midfield of Brazil is their weakness, way to slow! van Bommel, De Jong and Sneijder will find a lot of space there.

Problem with The Netherlands is that we haven't played a decent team yet that will let us attack, so far we've played 4 teams (maybe not Cameroon) that basically dug themselves in and always had 9 man behind the ball.

put 25 euro on Holland winning via Unibet...odds are 4.09 I think, would make me a solid 100 euro's :)
Bastos vs robben is the key matchup..
there is no way dutch wingers going to get better off maicon, he kept all world class wingers in check with lucio's help through out the CL. Brazil midfield may be slow, but they no how to make fouls with out getting cards, also they make sure resulting free kicks are not in the range. Its not like van bommel, de jong are quickest on the field. Brazil also played against teams that parked the bus and stopped the play (except for chile), but they equipped lot better with it.
I don't see holland winning, unless robben take bastos to school. Also there is always the possibility of 0-0 and penalties.
Holland are more or less playing like they did in WC 06 rather than euro 08, which doesn't help them in the tournaments. No matter what people say, only time dutch go through latter stages of the competition is when they are playing attractive, counter - attacking brand of football. Not substance over style methods.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I thought all footballing nations are recording assist stats. Also recognize it as, kinda important one or am i missing something?
Everyone is recording assist stats but I dont think many people outside of the US or fantasy football leagues take seriously. Its a fun number, nothing else.

If I had a football conversation and someone mentioned assists then I would end the conversation as they clearly know **** all about the game. Well not **** all but they are clearly not a 'football person.' Call it a prejudice but life is too short. :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have I been away from the UK so long that now people seriously quote 'assist' stats?
Not really. I just think that in this country, assists are massively under-appreciated, and I suppose it's a legacy from my playing days as a central midfielder, where I personally took as much pleasure from setting up goals as I did in scoring them myself.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A rather niggly start to this match - hope they all man the **** up and start playing some football soon.

Bobisback

International Regular
When he scored the first non goal, I thought, I should back him to score the first goal. Decided against it, then when a ball was crossed in far post towards him, I though, they're targeting him, I should back him now, went against the feeling again. Dumbest ****.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That goal was so simple, but oh so ****ing sublime. Superb pass.

Do have a chuckle at the "Brazil are poor" brigade on here and elsewhere.

"Poor" for Brazil is the semis. At worst.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That goal was so simple, but oh so ****ing sublime. Superb pass.

Do have a chuckle at the "Brazil are poor" brigade on here and elsewhere.

"Poor" for Brazil is the semis. At worst.
Sometimes it's the simple things that are hardest to do well. The far more obvious pass was to pass to the right of Heitinga, which wouldn't have given Robinho such an easy run on goal.

This Brazil side are brilliant, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know football.