• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

Xuhaib

International Coach
At least their worst team didn't go out with a 1-12 goal difference...unlike a certain continent :dry:

(but yeah, SA should get six when they host. Or nine, merge them with the north already.)
tbf Asia has to share the spot with Aus which is in itself another continent. Yeah merging with North makes sense one feels.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still think Spain are going to rue not having Torres in top form due to injury. Although Villa is brilliant in the box on his own, but he is so much better with a strong centre forward alongside him. I see Spain are experimenting with Llorente in Torres's absence and although he may share similar physical features I'm not sure if we can bring the necessary quality. Still gobsmacked Fabregas isn't getting a bit more of a go, as dare I say it, Xavi hasn't been inspiring at all this toruney.

The Germans and Argentinians seem to have a few more options in attack with the likes of Messi, Higuain, Tevez, Mueller, Klose, Podolski all exerting an influence
I thought Xavi was amazing against Portugal. Fabregas is brilliant, but the Barcelona-Arsenal tie proved that Xavi is still the master in midfield.

The Spanish midfield of Xavi/Alonso/Busquets/Iniesta doesn't have enough variety IMO, this is where Messi gives Barcelona that extra cutting edge up front.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The problem in Spain's midfield is Xabi Alonso, literally no point in playing him when you've got a far superior player in Xavi. Lose Alonso, switch in Fabregas for some more attacking oomph - Cesc is a far better dribbler than Xavi.

Doesn't help when Xavi and Iniesta are barely fit either.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Alonso is good, but I thought Senna was better at the Euros. Offered Spain more balance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Has there ever been a more memorable set of quarter finals? I can't think of a tournament when the quarter finals were close to being this exciting.

If the semis and final live up to billing, then we're looking at the best WC for absolutely eons.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Has there ever been a more memorable set of quarter finals? I can't think of a tournament when the quarter finals were close to being this exciting.

If the semis and final live up to billing, then we're looking at the best WC for absolutely eons.
Agreed - it was a fantastic quartet of matches. This is one of those great tournaments that is getting steadily better and better as it goes on, just hoping this final week is the icing on the cake.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The whole tournament since the group stages has been fantastic.
indeed

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hm... lego sure has changed. There weren't any black ones back then. Only pirates and ghosts and such.

Also, funny how Klose has equalled Müller's 14 goals. He's in no danger of ever being more than a goodish player but in a couple of years people will look at the stats and think he was a great.
Think you're mistaking football fans for cricket fans tbh