Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: *Official* Knockout Stages

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I think the Brazilian team is under rated. A mate cried foul when I called them favourites before the tournament started. They are a very fine group of players which play like a team.

I also think Spain has a very good chance to win. Really nice football they have played so far.
    Wow, tipping Brazil or Spain - really risking it there!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Won't be displeased to see Pottugal out, apart from one match their negativity has been ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if they were without talent and needed to nullify other teams, but they've also been negating one of the most gifted attacking players in the world on their own side.
    Yeah couldn't understand this, seemed a bit pointless especially in the second half, he barely even touched the ball.

Impressed by Coentrao though, comfortably Portugals player of the tournament imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Wow, tipping Brazil or Spain - really risking it there!
    I backed Spain when they lost to Switzerland and people said they were crap. I have been rooting for them from early in their tourney. They have been excellent in qualification, got an excellent group of high quality players and I will be very happy if they win. Always got a soft spot for Spain.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post

Impressed by Coentrao though, comfortably Portugals player of the tournament imo.
    Outstanding. Ive been pointing out the weaknesses of Johnson and then watching Coentrao just reminded me again how bad some players are.

Going forward Coentrao can take it inside or out and add to the attack and he is a good-on-the-ball defender but when you break it down and look at his core job, he is great. Positionally he is wonderful. He drifts in central and defends central and picks up for the center halves quite beautifully. Exceptional stuff when the ball isnt within 20-50 yards of him. Not the stuff thats obvious unless you watch for it. I intentionally spent the game watching him today as Id been talking about full-backs earlier in the thread and he was great.

He does the sexy stuff well which is going forward and defending 1-on-1s but that is only the obvious stuff and he does the less glamerous positional stuff away from the ball brilliantly.

I agree with you. Comfortably Portugals player of the tournament. Very impressive.
    Last edited by Goughy; 29-06-2010 at 10:12 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

His work in defence even more impressive considering this season just gone was apparently his first as a left back. Makes you wonder how good he could become (assume this isn't just a flash in the pan once off thing..) given he's likely still going to improve.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Do you have to put that every singe time ?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

His work in defence even more impressive considering this season just gone was apparently his first as a left back. Makes you wonder how good he could become (assume this isn't just a flash in the pan once off thing..) given he's likely still going to improve.
    Possibly because he is new to the position then he is still listening and learning and doesnt have an overdeveloped ego when at left back. He is sliding in, listening to shouts, covering for others, holding shape etc. Positionally he is wonderful and has excellent football intelligence.

He is clearly still listening to the coaches and doing all the important and unglamerous things that are key to good defending. As he grows in fame and stature, maybe he will stop doing that and get lazy. He certainly wouldnt be the first.
    Last edited by Goughy; 29-06-2010 at 10:21 PM.

one doubt
    in the Germany vs Argentina will both be playing in their home jersey or will one have to go with the away one since both are very light colour ?

if so will Germany be the away side since they where paying in home jersey aganist England or is it decided on toss
    Last edited by biased indian; 29-06-2010 at 10:22 PM.

R_D
    Speaking of full backs.... Sergio Ramos.... I haven't seen much of him play before but he isn't the best of defenders is he.... He's great going forward but gets caught out too often.... I can remember 2 or 3 times last night... Where he was totally out of position.
    Teams like Germany and Argentina should be able to exploit this weakness of Spain.

Likewise I'm going to miss football tonight.... Might get in a early night for a change. Just the thought of no more matches after next week is making me sad. Don't really want to think about watching cricket either. Sri Lanka v India for the millionth time this is rather depressing too.

so final 8 decided 4 from South america 3 from europe and 1 from africa

think in the past world cup at least 5 teams from Europe and progressed this far and last time more than 2 teams from south America reached this far was in 78

Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    Speaking of full backs.... Sergio Ramos.... I haven't seen much of him play before but he isn't the best of defenders is he.... He's great going forward but gets caught out too often.... I can remember 2 or 3 times last night... Where he was totally out of position.
    Teams like Germany and Argentina should be able to exploit this weakness of Spain.

Likewise I'm going to miss football tonight.... Might get in a early night for a change. Just the thought of no more matches after next week is making me sad. Don't really want to think about watching cricket either. Sri Lanka v India for the millionth time this is rather depressing too.
    yeah and he dosen't even need to as they have good attacking options up the pitch, he's one of those who you feel are doing pretty well on the pitch just for the visual even though in reality he would be having an average game.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Outstanding. Ive been pointing out the weaknesses of Johnson and then watching Coentrao just reminded me again how bad some players are.

Going forward Coentrao can take it inside or out and add to the attack and he is a good-on-the-ball defender but when you break it down and look at his core job, he is great. Positionally he is wonderful. He drifts in central and defends central and picks up for the center halves quite beautifully. Exceptional stuff when the ball isnt within 20-50 yards of him. Not the stuff thats obvious unless you watch for it. I intentionally spent the game watching him today as Id been talking about full-backs earlier in the thread and he was great.

He does the sexy stuff well which is going forward and defending 1-on-1s but that is only the obvious stuff and he does the less glamerous positional stuff away from the ball brilliantly.

I agree with you. Comfortably Portugals player of the tournament. Very impressive.
    It's not gone unnoticed in the wider footballing world either - in the past 24 hours he's been linked with Bayern, Juve, Real and Citeh.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Absolutely AWTA. He's the type of player you only fully appreciate when he plays for your club.

Don't have a problem with Portugal's tactics personally, think they got it spot on. That's the way to beat Spain, and everyone knows it. The only mistake was not taking their chances. They were far from conservative against North Korea in the only match they needed to win.

All that said, obviously I'm glad they went out. Portugal vs. Paraguay would have been excruciating.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Do you have to put that every singe time ?
    It's regularly the most fitting response tbh.

Thread Information