• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

Xuhaib

International Coach
If things go to form it seems like a Uraguay,Argentina,Brazil and Portugal semi line up.So basically its 3 South Americans and a European that can be mistaken for a South American.

Ofcourse lot can happen in between.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If things go to form it seems like a Uraguay,Argentina,Brazil and Portugal semi line up.So basically its 3 South Americans and a European that can be mistaken for a South American.

The US are probably stronger than Uruguay, I think. More well-rounded side and keener in front of goal.

Excuse me while I cleanse my keyboard after typing those two sentences.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The US are probably stronger than Uruguay, I think. More well-rounded side and keener in front of goal.

Excuse me while I cleanse my keyboard after typing those two sentences.
Uruguay are better organised and have the quality to score, when they actually commit to attacking that is. USA are a relatively well drilled side with little quality.

The way Uruguay play they're probably better set up to upset better teams than put away mediocre ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Yes, because if Spain win their group I'd back them to beat Portugal.

Scaly piscine

Yes, because if Spain win their group I'd back them to beat Portugal.
Think that could end up being rather spiteful like the Brazil v Portugal game. Portugal are very strong defensively and could certainly get a goal themselves against Spain's shaky defence. I think to beat Portugal and these other defensive sides you need quality crosses. Spain like to walk the ball in the net. Argentina were doing the same thing against Greece and getting completely nowhere until a goal from a corner - it was an ugly goal but it all came from the quality ball into the danger area. For me Spain v Portugal would be a toss up.

Anyway here's hoping Spain are dumped out of the World Cup tonight.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Think that could end up being rather spiteful like the Brazil v Portugal game. Portugal are very strong defensively and could certainly get a goal themselves against Spain's shaky defence. I think to beat Portugal and these other defensive sides you need quality crosses. Spain like to walk the ball in the net. Argentina were doing the same thing against Greece and getting completely nowhere until a goal from a corner - it was an ugly goal but it all came from the quality ball into the danger area. For me Spain v Portugal would be a toss up.

Anyway here's hoping Spain are dumped out of the World Cup tonight.
Nah! unlike Italy and Les Crap they are actually capable of playing good football worldcup would be poorer without them ofcourse i am looking at it from a neutral perspective.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So it's the lowest European representation since they first introduced a round of sixteen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just to confirm then, last two fixtures:

Brazil V Chile
Spain V Portgual

Get to work mods :ph34r:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am really impressed with Spain. They didn’t lose some 14 games coming into the world cup before they lost their opening game to Switzerland but I have liked what I have seen. Brazil, as I said, is a strong, strong team and it is showing exactly that. The only thing which worries me regarding Argentina is their weak defense. USA is nicely placed in the first quarter. They are the 14th ranked team in the world and have a real chance of reaching as far as the semis which would be great for US football.

My predictions for round 2 –

Uruguay v Korea Republic – Uruguay
United States v Ghana – USA
Holland v Slovakia – Holland
Brazil v Chile – Brazil (Chance of upset given Chile came 2nd in South America if I am not wrong).
Argentina v Mexico – Argentina
Germany v England – Germany
Paraguay v Japan – Japan
Spain v Portugal – Spain (Game of the round)

Quarters –

Uruguay v USA – USA
Holland v Brazil – Brazil
Argentina v Germany – Argentina
Japan v Spain – Spain

Semis

USA v Brazil – Brazil
Argentina v Spain – Spain (Argentina’s weak defense showing up)

Finals

Brazil v Spain – Brazil

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
All five South American nations through to the last 16. They've all looked good too, which is a first in World Cups I've seen.

Could see four of them making it to the last 8 too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep, I reckon four will make the last eight. Can guarantee you the dirty stinking Argies will go no further than though :ph34r:

BTW, got sent a txt that would have made Mitchell angry today haha

shivfan

Banned
I am really impressed with Spain. They didn’t lose some 14 games coming into the world cup before they lost their opening game to Switzerland but I have liked what I have seen. Brazil, as I said, is a strong, strong team and it is showing exactly that. The only thing which worries me regarding Argentina is their weak defense. USA is nicely placed in the first quarter. They are the 14th ranked team in the world and have a real chance of reaching as far as the semis which would be great for US football.

My predictions for round 2 –

Uruguay v Korea Republic – Uruguay
United States v Ghana – USA
Holland v Slovakia – Holland
Brazil v Chile – Brazil (Chance of upset given Chile came 2nd in South America if I am not wrong).
Argentina v Mexico – Argentina
Germany v England – Germany
Paraguay v Japan – Japan
Spain v Portugal – Spain (Game of the round)

Quarters –

Uruguay v USA – USA
Holland v Brazil – Brazil
Argentina v Germany – Argentina
Japan v Spain – Spain

Semis

USA v Brazil – Brazil
Argentina v Spain – Spain (Argentina’s weak defense showing up)

Finals

Brazil v Spain – Brazil
You clearly rate USA highly....
:unsure:

Steulen

International Regular
On today's evidence I'm quite hopeful that the Dutch might dispose of Brazil in the quarters tbh.

Pothas

No chance of an upset, Chile will play into Brazil's hands.
You are probably right unfortunately, hope they can give them a bit of a scare though.

Switzerland would probably have been a much tougher proposition for this Brazilian side but I certainly know which game I would rather watch.

Scaly piscine

I am really impressed with Spain. They didn’t lose some 14 games coming into the world cup before they lost their opening game to Switzerland but I have liked what I have seen.

Lost to Switzerland, a team that managed one point against Chile and Honduras.
Beat the second worst side in the tournament in Honduras 2-0.
Beat a Chile side 2-1 who comprehensively outplayed them for periods of the game, who donated them the first goal and played with 10 men for most of the match.

Err yea wow what an impressive side eh. I bet Portugal liked what they've seen too.