Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Knockout Stages

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'll actually be supporting England, as much fun it would be to wind up English fans...I really support England in most things, so go Rooney. Obviously delighted it's the English facing Germany instead of US, but how awesome would a US-England final be (not that I expect either team to make it but still)?

Argentina will probably beat the winner of England/German so they are through to the semis... Although if USA beat Ghana, IMO they have a very real chance of beating uruguay or south korea to reach the semis too. Obviously rooting for South Korea there...

Obviously I'm optimistic about us being able to score on Uruguay...
    Last edited by silentstriker; 23-06-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Torn here. Would like to support England, but I also have Germany in a sweep going here. Money wins though, carn Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Updated:

Uruguay V South Korea
    Argentina V Mexico
    USA V Ghana
    Germany V England
    Updated the first post.
    Last edited by andyc; 24-06-2010 at 04:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Nice draw. Two sides with totally odious support, one to go home early. Hope it's the Germs, they already celebrated winning the World Cup last night. Plus Beckenbauer might shut up for five minutes.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, it seems everywhere I turn in this WC Beckenbauer is going on about something or another.

Actually quite confident about the Germany game. They looked awesome against Australia but I've seen very little since then. 5-0 England.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, it seems everywhere I turn in this WC Beckenbauer is going on about something or another.

Actually quite confident about the Germany game. They looked awesome against Australia but I've seen very little since then. 5-0 England.
    I'm not sure GIMH, I thought England were still desperately poor yesterday, apart from that 15 minute spell where they actually passed the ball and created chances. I'm thinking Germany will go through...
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

As much as I love Ozil and this German team, the prospect of Diego against the Poms again is just too good to be true. This needs to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Very much looking forward to this tie. Hilarity bound to ensue.

Seriously, how can anyone doubt this tournament with a draw like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    I'm not sure GIMH, I thought England were still desperately poor yesterday, apart from that 15 minute spell where they actually passed the ball and created chances. I'm thinking Germany will go through...
    I thought we were pretty good throughout the first half tbh. Second half was a bit flat and I don't think there was enough of a push for a second goal and with it first place. Definitely going in the right direction though and that's the main thing. The real business starts now and I can see us stepping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Seriously, how can anyone doubt this tournament with a draw like this?
    Tournament has been great aside from the first five days or so. Really enjoying it.

When was the last time england beat any of the ger, ita, arg, bra in knockout stages?
    Has to be 66, isn't it?

The way Germany are defending England can take them this time. Have just as much faith in England's defence too so I guess it should be a great game if both teams really come to play.

edit: In other news:

Franz Beckenbauer believes England made a stupid mistake by failing to avoid a second-round match against Germany at the World Cup in South Africa.
    The two sides will meet in Bloemfontein on Sunday after England failed to win Group C despite beating Slovenia 1-0.
    "Stupidly, the English have slipped up a little by finishing second in their group," said German great Beckenbauer.
    "The English look a little tired... they are burnt out. We respect them but we certainly don't fear them."
    England's win over Slovenia made certain of their place in the knockout stages of the competiion, but they were denied a meeting with Ghana on Saturday when a late winner by the United States against Algeria put them on top of the group table.
    Beckenbauer attacked England's style of play earlier in the tournament, saying they had "gone backwards into the bad old days of kick and rush", but admitted they looked better in their final group match.
    "England's first two appearances at the World Cup were paltry, but they improved against Slovenia," Beckenbauer, who won the tournament as a player and a coach, told German newspaper Bild.
    "What makes them dangerous is that their key players Lampard, Gerrard and Terry sense that this could be the last chance in their career to win a World Cup. And after all, England have been waiting since 1966 for a title.
    "After they failed to qualify for Euro 2008, England hit rock bottom. Fabio Capello appears to have brought discipline to the troops, [he] has brought in a new structure."
    Beckenbauer said "a game like this [England v Germany] should be a semi-final, not a last-16 game".
    However, he believes the German players are fresher than England's, a situation he put down to the rigours of Premier League football.
    "The Premier League players have got to play far more games than their Bundesliga colleagues, including two national cup competitions," Beckenbauer added.
    "Therefore, when it comes to a World Cup or a European Championships, they are burnt out. Our players, on the other hand, seem to be in a physically better condition."
    Last edited by duffer; 24-06-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Fair points.

Just realised how unbearable this country is going to be until Saturday afternoon. Really can't be bothered having to listen to all the fallout and antiquated slurs coming out of an England win so really hope Germany pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Will be far more slurs should we lose

France out early, US late to the party, Poms left to battle the Huns

Remind anyone of another big event

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information