• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

JBH001

International Regular
Didn't pick that, thought England would sneak past 2-1 but, boy, am I stoked that Germany won it.

Been reading a little too much about the 'great' English team, reading about the pundits going on and on about the PL, about English players being better man for man, that it was good seeing a young Germany, pretty much, eviscerate England. Also, with regards to the first goal, it's my understanding that you can't be off-side on a goal kick.

Outpaced, outpassed, outthought, outclassed.

That said, hard luck to the majority of English fans who deserve better from their team.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not a fan of separate threads, all fail in one thread is better to facepalm at. And it's fun to see a whole page of deleted posts, which is what may happen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not getting into the debate at all (cos I know **** all), but genuine question, why are Scots called 'jocks'?
Because anyone vaguely Scottish gets called "Jock" in England. Mate's dad is Scots (real name George) but was called Jock by everyone, including his (English) wife. I was 12 before I knew his real name wasn't Jock.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because anyone vaguely Scottish gets called "Jock" in England. Mate's dad is Scots (real name George) but was called Jock by everyone, including his (English) wife. I was 12 before I knew his real name wasn't Jock.
Cheers mate. Can always rely on you for an answer :cool:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, if you're going to get touchy because a Scot is pointing out that England aren't actually all that good then tough. How on earth you're interpreting what I've said as "anti-English", or more laughably, "pro-Jock" (we're not at the World Cup, how the hell am I meant to be pro-Scottish when our game is in an even worse state?!) is beyond me.
"The difference between us and you is that we know we're **** and don't delude ourselves into thinking that this will be our year once every 4 years."

This seemed to be both pro-scot and anti-English.

That's why I put the Ally link in.

Most Englishmen have mentioned we're crap, your jamming it down our throats, which I wouldn't mind, but then your criticising England posters for being over the top.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Commiserations to English fans. Watched with a Pom who needed a hug after the game.

And geez, some posters need to piss off and let the post match 'healing process' be conducted by those who actually support England in peace.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
"The difference between us and you is that we know we're **** and don't delude ourselves into thinking that this will be our year once every 4 years."

This seemed to be both pro-scot and anti-English.

That's why I put the Ally link in.

Most Englishmen have mentioned we're crap, your jamming it down our throats, which I wouldn't mind, but then your criticising England posters for being over the top.
Calling Scotland **** is pro-Scottish?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I find Brumby's anecdote very hilarious. I thought it was some kind of an abuse.
It is in a minor way, but only like Aussies calling us "Poms". "Jock" is the preferred Scots term for blokes whose first name is "John" in the same way as the English sometimes call them "Jack", so as "John" is a v popular name the (vague) insult has stuck.

See also calling the Irish "Micks" or "Paddys" and the Welsh "Taffs".