• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The goal only would have reverted the game back to how it was when it began though, with Germany better than England and therefore more likely to progress. It's a blow for sure, but it only cost England about a 30% chance of getting through. They were still underdogs on account of being the inferior team.
That would be my take on it. It was always likely that Germany would regroup over half time and that England wouldn't be able to maintain any sort of intensity. I stuck around long enough into the second half to see Gerrard miscue a decent chance wide of the near post, told my missus it would be 3-1 or 4-1 and took my son over to the park. Yes, of course the Lamard decision was a ****ing joke which simply shouldn't happen at this level, but we'd been utterly outclassed for most of the first half and to give a away the two goals that we did before half time was village green stuff. Quite how anyone could comments on the German's supposed defensive frailties had always been beyond me given the impotence of our attack and the likelihood that theirs would rip our painfully slow defence to shreds, and so it proved. It was all very well whining about Beckenbauer's comments, but they always sounded true to me, and so that proved too.

Farewell to the 'golden generation' then: I can't say I'll miss them at all. It'll be fun for some poor sod trying to put together a new side from the few Englishmen who get a game in the PL.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOlling at the amount of complete pricks in this thread, Pratters, Sir Alex, you are the worst culprits, **** off you pair of *****

We lost, deservedly so, end of

But **** me this thread has gone abysmal

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Barcelona play far better defensive football than any EPL side could dream about.
Er, no. Even in the two-team league that is La Liga these days, they still conceded 24 goals - and that's been their best for a while. That's pretty much par for the top 4 teams in the EPL over the last few years. If you look overall for Barca and EPL top 4 over the last few years, they're clearly not as good and certainly not playing "far better defensive football than any EPL side could dream about".

Teja.

Global Moderator
Er, no. Even in the two-team league that is La Liga these days, they still conceded 24 goals - and that's been their best for a while. That's pretty much par for the top 4 teams in the EPL over the last few years. If you look overall for Barca and EPL top 4 over the last few years, they're clearly not as good and certainly not playing "far better defensive football than any EPL side could dream about".
What Ikki said. At best, an argument could be made that Barca are on par with the top EPL side in defensive football IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't worry about arguing with pratters guys. The only thing he knows less about than football is leaving a forum.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What Ikki said. At best, an argument could be made that Barca are on par with the top EPL side in defensive football IMO.
oh but it would stop him wanking over barca, give the bloke a break......

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay fair enough, as long as you don't complain when other nations use gross generalities about Indian fans, on these forums.

no idea if you do, coz I've never done it (slagged off Indian fans), Indian fans I know are generally decent:)

Still find it odd posting on a place where it doesn't happen to slag off england fans, when the england fans here have done nothing of the sort.
Nah fair call there, I probably phrased my first post poorly.

I meant that in the overall picture (i.e. fans, media, players etc.) there are some serious similarities to English football and Indian cricket.

Not CW English football fan posters in particular.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That would be my take on it. It was always likely that Germany would regroup over half time and that England wouldn't be able to maintain any sort of intensity. I stuck around long enough into the second half to see Gerrard miscue a decent chance wide of the near post, told my missus it would be 3-1 or 4-1 and took my son over to the park. Yes, of course the Lamard decision was a ****ing joke which simply shouldn't happen at this level, but we'd been utterly outclassed for most of the first half and to give a away the two goals that we did before half time was village green stuff. Quite how anyone could comments on the German's supposed defensive frailties had always been beyond me given the impotence of our attack and the likelihood that theirs would rip our painfully slow defence to shreds, and so it proved. It was all very well whining about Beckenbauer's comments, but they always sounded true to me, and so that proved too.
I'd agree with this, except I'd also give Germany a little more credit for the quality of their attacking play. Lack of pace in a defence isn't actually that easy to exploit, and Germany with their three up front were great at pouring forward as soon as they won the ball in the middle of the park. Their second goal was a really well-worked passing move and I found it a little disappointing that the commentators didn't give them any more credit; if England had scored such a goal they'd have creamed. The third and fourth were really good counter attacks too.

First goal though, lol.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd agree with this, except I'd also give Germany a little more credit for the quality of their attacking play. Lack of pace in a defence isn't actually that easy to exploit, and Germany with their three up front were great at pouring forward as soon as they won the ball in the middle of the park. Their second goal was a really well-worked passing move and I found it a little disappointing that the commentators didn't give them any more credit; if England had scored such a goal they'd have creamed. The third and fourth were really good counter attacks too.

First goal though, lol.
bollox, holle in the middle torquay unite could of exploited