• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? English teams are not really doing well in the UEFA Cup - the tournament which really tests the depth of a league.
It tests no such thing, since it usually involves the second or third best team from other leagues and England's fifth best side since their top four usually progress through the CL knockouts. Had one team in the final and one in the semi-finals this year anyway.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It tests no such thing, since it usually involves the second or third best team from other leagues and England's fifth best side since their top four usually progress through the CL knockouts. Had one team in the final and one in the semi-finals this year anyway.
Didn't know Real Madrid plays in the UEFA Cup. :laugh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Imagine the billions of Rands that have been spent by England fans here.. I feel so sorry for them.. What a mockery of a sport where such high stakes can be met by such massive incompetence.. Of course the Germans won by more than one goal, but South Africa won by more than 7 points during the Rugby World Cup in 2007 when that line call wasn't made at the end.. You can't say it wouldn't have changed the game because the whole dynamic between the teams would have been different after the event.. Shocking.. Back to the cricket, thank God I didn't waste my money on going up to see the game..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't know Real Madrid plays in the UEFA Cup. :laugh:
???

I didn't say "every" other league? "Second or third", anyone? I respectfully suggest that you wade back into the forums of sports you have a clue about.

The defensive abilities of Serie A sides has been going downhill in the last six or seven years, failing to live up to the Italian reputation. Chelsea and Liverpool, and to a lesser extent United, built European success on being especially difficult to play against. It might be swinging back the other way, as Inter did it about as well as anyone ever has this year. Given their recent change in management I suspect Real Madrid may soon come to epitomise top-class defending.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No CWers really think India can win the WC either but they cop it based on outside fans.

But a team full of star who underperforms, a ****ty media who build up their team and then pummel them. A country which blames the umpires/refs and coaches from other countries. Fans who boo the team.

Similarities for sure.
Okay fair enough, as long as you don't complain when other nations use gross generalities about Indian fans, on these forums.

no idea if you do, coz I've never done it (slagged off Indian fans), Indian fans I know are generally decent:)

Still find it odd posting on a place where it doesn't happen to slag off england fans, when the england fans here have done nothing of the sort.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Heh, called the goal in real-time, was obviously well over the line. If that's not a perfect example as to why football needs if nothing else a video review system on all goals/potential goals then I'm not here.
Yeah, this exactly. I was banging on about it after Henry's "hand of frog" and this has done nothing to change my opinion. It's not a whinge, the better team won on the day, but there's no doubt Lampard scored.

Given goals have such a high premium in football it's a stain on the administrators of the sport that no video replays are available.

Germany by far the better side
Indeed, but look at the possession stats and you'll (hopefully) see how meaningless they are in football. We had 58% to Jerry's 42%. Even Corrin wouldn't dare to claim we were the better side tho.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Leauge Co-effecients -

Rank
2010↓ Rank
2009↓ Mvmt↓ League↓ 2005–06↓ 2006–07↓ 2007–08↓ 2008–09↓ 2009–10↓ Coeff.↓ CL places↓ EL places↓ Total↓
1 1 Yellow-Circle.svg — England England 14.428 16.625 17.875 15.000 17.928 81.856 4 3 7
2 2 Yellow-Circle.svg — Spain Spain 15.642 19.000 13.875 13.312 17.928 79.757

Spain narrowly second and on par with Premier League last year. Compare that two the popularity of both the leagues and you know which league is the most hyped and better marketed league. I don't like the attacking style of played in the EPL. It is a stupid mind****. I like the subtler, more sublime, the ever improving la liga.

Teja.

Global Moderator
IMO, Anyone who thinks the La Liga sides play better defensive football than the EPL sides does not have much of an argument.

Matteh

Leauge Co-effecients -

Rank
2010↓ Rank
2009↓ Mvmt↓ League↓ 2005–06↓ 2006–07↓ 2007–08↓ 2008–09↓ 2009–10↓ Coeff.↓ CL places↓ EL places↓ Total↓
1 1 Yellow-Circle.svg — England England 14.428 16.625 17.875 15.000 17.928 81.856 4 3 7
2 2 Yellow-Circle.svg — Spain Spain 15.642 19.000 13.875 13.312 17.928 79.757

Spain narrowly second and on par with Premier League last year. Compare that two the popularity of both the leagues and you know which league is the most hyped and better marketed league. I don't like the attacking style of played in the EPL. It is a stupid mind****. I like the subtler, more sublime, the ever improving la liga.

You're an idiot.

Matteh

Well, that was really really easy.

Not entirely sure why Fabio put the Chuckle Brothers in at centre back, Cole's headless chicken act for the 3rd goal was interesting and why start with Rooney given he's been barely able to kick a ball competently all tournament.

Ozil was a gun, Klose poacher supreme, Podolski back to smashing the ball in and Mueller looking a class act.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wow. FMD. Did not see this coming.

On the plus side, Germany vs Argentina (~) is going to be so epic. Might actually watch the whole game.

Matteh

Imagine the billions of Rands that have been spent by England fans here.. I feel so sorry for them.. What a mockery of a sport where such high stakes can be met by such massive incompetence.. Of course the Germans won by more than one goal, but South Africa won by more than 7 points during the Rugby World Cup in 2007 when that line call wasn't made at the end.. You can't say it wouldn't have changed the game because the whole dynamic between the teams would have been different after the event.. Shocking.. Back to the cricket, thank God I didn't waste my money on going up to see the game..
It's alright, you can go back to being South African now.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's alright, you can go back to being South African now.
One of my nations possibly losing to your two nations within two hours..

Glad there is distance between us..

Love how the bookies are paying out for that goal anyway.. William Hill have more clout than FIFA

Last edited: