• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest upsets/shock results in WC history

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Slovakia 3 - 2 Italy

probably up there, knocked out by a team who plays at a WC for the first time

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Slovakia 3 - 2 Italy

probably up there, knocked out by a team who plays at a WC for the first time
Five Slovaks have played in a World Cup final though.

To take another first-time participant, Croatia 3-0 Germany >> Slovakia 3-2 Italy imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Five Slovaks have played in a World Cup final though.

To take another first-time participant, Croatia 3-0 Germany >> Slovakia 3-2 Italy imo.
Think I read somewhere 7/11 Euro 76 winners where Slovaks too, including matey who chipped in the winning pen.

cpr

International Coach
Living in Prague all his life wouldn't necessarily make him Czech though.
Being born there would though. Otherwise it'd be like calling you English :ph34r:

Mitchell to respond with 'Well I was born in blah blah but doesnt make me anything but a ****' in 5...4...3...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Korea beating Italy in the second round in 2002 up there for sheer hilarity.
Certainly. The fact that a lot of them turned out to be decent players and South Korea have turned out to be a decent side has led to history being rewritten to some extent, but at the time this was an absolutely huge shock.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being born there would though. Otherwise it'd be like calling you English :ph34r:

Mitchell to respond with 'Well I was born in blah blah but doesnt make me anything but a ****' in 5...4...3...
I was born in a grey area which allows me to pick and choose at will. :cool:

(Have to have 3 different birth certificates to hand in order to get a passport for example)