• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why doesn't FIFA do something about diving/players abusing referees?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Serious question here. People will give answers of FIFA being run by a bunch of spineless beaurocrats (which may or may not be true) but they will obviously act in their own interests most of the time.

It would be so easy to do something about abusing and surrounding the refs in particular. Only allow the captain to approach the referee and yellow card anyone else who does so. It'd quickly stamp out all the ridiculous intimidation of referees that goes on. Why don't they do it? Am I missing something really obvious.

If football got rid of its reputation of being full of overpaid ****s that dive, cheat and abuse referees, it'd probably have an increased fan-base, so why don't FIFA do it? It'd surely be in their interests...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah agree with the above. I never understand the pestering of the ref anyway; it's clearly not going to change his mind so STFU and cop it on the chin (the players that is, fans more than welcome to bitch about it). Would love to see simulation as a straight red as well. Would leave too much up to the ref's interpretation as a dive though, so can't exactly see it happening.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree with the above. I never understand the pestering of the ref anyway; it's clearly not going to change his mind so STFU and cop it on the chin (the players that is, fans more than welcome to bitch about it). Would love to see simulation as a straight red as well. Would leave too much up to the ref's interpretation as a dive though, so can't exactly see it happening.
This.

Straight red for diving.

Moreover, for diving they should have a review system where a panel looks at the game even if no foul for it was given. If the panel spots a player has dived, give him a one or two match ban.

Would only have to do it once or twice, the world would shift.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Straight red for diving.
  2. Any time a player clutches a body part in pain or makes any show of injury (e.g, isn't up immediately), he has to leave the field for five minutes (a sub comes in). If the injury is real, they need the time.
  3. Even if the ref doesn't see it, or doesn't think its a dive during live play, the player gets a two game suspension from the authorities after the game for dives

I was disgusted by that Italy-NZ game. I'd dive too and encourage my players to do so - there's virtually no downside. But if I were an administrator, I'd clamp down pretty severely on that stuff. No one likes it, it adds nothing and in fact hurts the sport severely.

Son Of Coco

I'd add that if he gets hit by a limb/the ball/a leaf blowing across the ground and falls to the ground writhing in agony clutching the wrong body part (i.e. the leaf hits him on the arm and he falls down clutching his head) then it's a month out of the game and he has to front a press conference where he's shown the offending footage and then asked to explain himself.

Anything less than a 10 sentence answer and he has to sit there until he's done a good enough job.

It is funny though that for all the promises of 'cracking down on diving' etc etc everything stays the same. How referees aren't dubious about the likes of a De Rossi by now is beyond comprehension.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
You new world lot with your modern foward looking sports and general rational thought to improving things.

The laws were made in the 19th Century for a reason, and just because johnny foreigner doesnt want to play fair, no use bally well changing the rules because of him........

That may or may not be an actual quote from the FIFA council. The best analogy I can think off is that if FIFA ran cricket then tests would still be timeless and the only limited overs matches would be where the away team has to sail home before a result can be decided......

Johnners

Don't particularly mind players going to ground easy, as in the vast majority cases there is a foul. Sure it might be "soft" but meh, if what you're doing is essentially wrong, don't really have a legit reason to complain imo (have learnt this the hard one, thanks Lucas :( ). But if there was any way to get rid of all the play acting whereby you'd think the players had been stabbed in the face or had their leg sawn off by the way they're grasping it, I'm all for it. I guess though, it's gotten to the point where if you have one, the other is guaranteed to happen, and really the only effective way to stop it now is by the use of a review panel after the game. I like how football doesn't have stoppages for video reviews on every other decision made by a ref (goals/penalties aside)

Re: the Italy/NZ game, sure the Italians were making a meal of it, but imo Fallon in particular was somewhat lucky to have only been given a yellow after about his 3rd elbow/forearm to the face/throat of Chiellini/Cannavaro.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with the first post. I think rugby union's a step ahead in terms of communication with the referee and backchat from players. Essentially any abuse of the referee is an instant penalty, or an instant 10 metre advance of the mark if a penalty was already awarded. The large majority of referees demand for players to go through their captain if they want to discuss an aspect of his ruling. Bit difficult to compare the two sports with respect to diving because its essentially play on in rugby, but I the opening post makes a valid point - and IMO penalising the diving players is surely the way forward to eliminate the simulations.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Fact is, some refs need to grow some balls. They can punish 'simulation', they can ignore the player writhing around, but a prime example is the Kaka red, sent him off based on the reactions he saw, not what he saw (or didnt). A decent ref would've left that one for the review panel (as if he stated in his notes he didnt see it, they could review it if they felt their was a case of violent conduct), rather than going OTT thinking it makes him seem he's in control when it does the opposite.

Johnners

Fact is, some refs need to grow some balls. They can punish 'simulation', they can ignore the player writhing around, but a prime example is the Kaka red, sent him off based on the reactions he saw, not what he saw (or didnt). A decent ref would've left that one for the review panel (as if he stated in his notes he didnt see it, they could review it if they felt their was a case of violent conduct), rather than going OTT thinking it makes him seem he's in control when it does the opposite.
Yeah don't disagree, but I can't see refs suddenly changing how they make their decisions without some sort of chance for support after the fact, or without making them more accountable for mistakes. Given time, i'd like to think that with a review panel, the refs would be more confident in making decisions based on what they see re: the incidents as opposed to the aftermath. Ultimately I think would make both the refs and players more accountable, which can only be a good thing.

Can't see it happening anytime soon tho'

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
SS's leave the field for five minutes suggestion is flawed, cbf to explain why just now, other than that though everything in the thread makes sense. Agree with Burgey on making it a straight red, I think, though I have seen yellows given when a player has clearly not dived but not been fouled either, and you'd hate to see someone sent off in that situation. But you could say that of most red card offences, I guess.

pasag

RTDAS
There was a moment I think around the 40th minute in the Australia game where two players were fighting hard for the ball, they then start remonstrating and whinging for a free, despite the ball still being in play! It's not just soccer either, most sports these days have become very ugly in this regard, everything centres around the refs and it really detracts from the sport. At least cricket is doing something about it, if you don't like it, refer it, but don't moan and bitch and don't try and cheat because you'll be found out quickly.

L Trumper

State Regular
The problem with straight red to diving is it's pretty hard to spot a dive. It might be losing your footing or unexpected soft touch ref can't define it on the spot. Although I love fans moaning though, as if referees can see all the angles when a foul is being made. Only thing is you allow TV replays or not, blamig referees doesn't do much, becuase they keep on doing these mistakes as long as the game is being played.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Replays would work for occasions when the ball goes into the net, for referring offsides, fouls in the box etc, but not for open play. You can't just stop the clock and check the video, it's not that kind of sport.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
My biggest gripe with football is the treatment of referees.

What is the point of arguing your case to the referee? The decision is made (right or wrong) and you just need to move on. Coaches and players should have the right upon completion of the game to air any grievances’, but not during the contest. The players who shake a finger at the assistant referee when an offside decision is called are the worst. What are they trying to achieve? Challenge the referee for an after match bout behind the stadium upon the completion of the game?

Like all sports, it is the coaches from junior level upwards who need to stamp this behaviour out.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fifa don't see diving or general referee manipulation as a problem - that's fairly clear.

And when I think about the most memorable moments from the sport I think immediately of diving, cheating and the outrage over these perceived injustices. Would football be a more or less popular (and lucrative) sport nowadays if Maradona's hand of god hadn't happened? Or if Klinnsman hadn't taken every opportunity to roll around on the floor to the outrage of thousands of opposition fans? IMO these are things that stick in the memory, inspire passion and help to make this game the most popular in the world. We're living in dreamland if we think fairness and rightness are of paramount importance to an organistaion like Fifa.

Also, as these sorts of refereeing decisions invariably favour the stronger, better known and richer countries (or clubs), who in turn control Fifa, there is very little incentive to push for a fairer and more even-handed apporach to officiating.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's already a provision in the laws to deal with players abusing refs, if the refs aren't using it then it's their problem.

Straight red for diving? GAGF. Diving isn't as big an issue as everyone makes out.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
There's already a provision in the laws to deal with players abusing refs, if the refs aren't using it then it's their problem.

Straight red for diving? GAGF. Diving isn't as big an issue as everyone makes out.
Reckon it is when it directly results in someone being sent off IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that diving can result in an opposition player getting sent off is ridiculous. I'd love to know any sport whereby cheating can provide such an advantage for their team, barring a boxer wearing barbed wire on their gloves :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh and video game called 'This Is Football' (great game, quite fun) had a 'diving' button. Was hilarious.

Can't imagine flagrant cheating being allowed in many other sport video games. Says something about it being a problem.