• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why doesn't FIFA do something about diving/players abusing referees?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just on the other aspect in the thread, abusing refs.

Think it's terrible tbh. Causes big problems at lower levels, young kids reffing being abused by players and spectators. The impression seems to be it's condoned at the highest level.

Drogba's case in the CL for instance - appalling. How he didn't get 12 months is beyond me.

**** I'd have loved to have refereed that game. I'd have dropped him like a bad habit if he'd abused me like that.
I agree completely except that Drogba's case was a little different. Not saying what he did was okay (bloody entertaining, but) but he was screaming down the cameras at the end of the match. IIRC it was mainly Ballack who acted up on the pitch towards the ref.

Assuming we're talking about the Barca semi that is, otherwise ignore me

edit, you know what I'm tired and I think I may be remembering it all wrong anyway, Drogba probably shouted at the ref before the cameras. Defo Ballack who chased the ref around the pitch though, created some hilarious gifs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha Ballack, yeah may well have been him tbh. Just can't believe they put up with it. FMD, must be tempting for a ref to just send the lot off. Someone should do it, you only have to do it once or twice and no bastard would try it again.

And apologies for raising it again. Of course, there's no issue. Should just sod off and play colonial sport.

The WC, bringing out the worst in CW since 2002.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
  1. Straight red for diving.
  2. Any time a player clutches a body part in pain or makes any show of injury (e.g, isn't up immediately), he has to leave the field for five minutes (a sub comes in). If the injury is real, they need the time.
  3. Even if the ref doesn't see it, or doesn't think its a dive during live play, the player gets a two game suspension from the authorities after the game for dives

I was disgusted by that Italy-NZ game. I'd dive too and encourage my players to do so - there's virtually no downside. But if I were an administrator, I'd clamp down pretty severely on that stuff. No one likes it, it adds nothing and in fact hurts the sport severely.
Several years a go in a league game in Italy, the team Perugia, their English striker Jay Bothroyd (ask Marc, he used to play for Coventry City), failed to take a dive inside the box when if he had of gone down, it would of almost certain it would of been a penalty, and his manager Serse Cosmi gave him a right bollocking for it.

You two would have a lot in common.

Meridio

International Regular
Another reason why Fifa won't ever do anything about diving is that it could result in high profile players missing big games. Imagine if some posing, preening **** like Christiano Ronaldo was sent off for diving in a semi final. They'd bend over backwards to make sure he could play the final, as it would reduce the spectacle or some such BS.

As many have already pointed out, it would be so easy to introduce some kind of review system after games that could punish cheats accordingly. The fact that they don't do it, and just pay lip service instead, basically says that keeping it in the game is in their best interests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think there's enough precedent to suggest that FIFA would not "bend over backwards" in that scenario. What with their refusal to overturn red cards etc. in the past.

Not to mention the Rivaldo ban from a previous world cup when he was a star turn.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait, you're a mod? wtf, who are you?
Not needed mate. As has been mentioned before, if you're unhappy with something a mod has said please do report the post or email us (moderators@cricketweb.net), but being abusive to a mod - or any member for that matter - isn't on.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not needed mate. As has been mentioned before, if you're unhappy with something a mod has said please do report the post or email us (moderators@cricketweb.net), but being abusive to a mod - or any member for that matter - isn't on.
How was my post abusive? Wowee...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another reason why Fifa won't ever do anything about diving is that it could result in high profile players missing big games. Imagine if some posing, preening **** like Christiano Ronaldo was sent off for diving in a semi final. They'd bend over backwards to make sure he could play the final, as it would reduce the spectacle or some such BS.

As many have already pointed out, it would be so easy to introduce some kind of review system after games that could punish cheats accordingly. The fact that they don't do it, and just pay lip service instead, basically says that keeping it in the game is in their best interests.
I don't think they care that much. They still have the moronic two yellows suspension rubbish that means we have to do without the world-beating talent of Jamie Carragher tomorrow. These days players get yellow cards from nothing to cynically hacking someone down when they're in a good position (Italy and Germany specialties over the years).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You say it's a turn-off, yet there's no other sport which gains anywhere near the attention. Rightly or wrongly it's hard to see FIFA being too quick to change things as long as Football sits atop the totem pole, which btw will be forever.
Wait till AFL expands internationally. This man has sewed the seeds already...

The world will be able to see real athletes play the game.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Several years a go in a league game in Italy, the team Perugia, their English striker Jay Bothroyd (ask Marc, he used to play for Coventry City), failed to take a dive inside the box when if he had of gone down, it would of almost certain it would of been a penalty, and his manager Serse Cosmi gave him a right bollocking for it.

You two would have a lot in common.
Rightly so. If the administrators have their head up their ass, it's not the fault of the players. You should do what it takes to win for your team. I'd have suspended him for a game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not going to read any article that suggests it needs more scoring.

I'd love it if someone went into a thread about Test Cricket SS and said that there should be less wickets and more sixes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well I can see how that would bring in more fans though - in any case, I said earlier that you can't do anything about the lack of goals. That's a part of the sport, and something I'm sure a lot of people like - especially the really dedicated fans, just as many people love a 3-0 NFL game.

The diving point is valid and stands. As others have mentioned, you'd be laughed at as a soft **** if you went down like that in any other sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, like I've said, diving is not attractive but there isn't a massive need to bring new fans in. Week-in week-out fans (like myself) may not like diving, but we don't dislike it enough to walk away. Until that starts happening it's hard to see anything massive happening.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's not just diving in the penalty box though. It's the whole idea that a little flick on the face, which is a free kick by the rules, results in the guy laying on the ground and being close to tears for 2 minutes. Even though the free kick has already been given.

That is clearly trying to get a card for the opposition player, and is downright cheating as well.

Then you have 3 of his teammates charging at the referee too.