Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't FIFA do something about diving/players abusing referees?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but sometimes it's necessary to go down a bit easy.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    "I like!"

★★★★★

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but sometimes it's necessary to go down a bit easy. Just yesterday I was playing a game for my own club and I am a solid/strong guy and very hard to get off my feet, but this guy tried to run right through me with his elbow up. I ended up staying on my feet but felt like I had been punched. It was an obvious foul but because I had stayed on my feet the ref didn't call it, unbelievably. The same thing goes for pros in many situations; as they're clearly impeded but the ref doesn't blow the whistle unless an obvious foul is committed or the player goes down.

Agree with a lot of what the thread starter has said though.
    Going down easy is quite different from this:

If this is 'going down easy', then Paris Hilton is a nun.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Manan, that clearly has nothing to do with what I was referring to. FTR, I think the players that go down like that should be punished with reds. If missed during the match, they should be given post-game penalties.

I find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

Compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

Diving IS cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. my first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this WC was a dive and I promptly switched off

I'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    You say it's a turn-off, yet there's no other sport which gains anywhere near the attention. Rightly or wrongly it's hard to see FIFA being too quick to change things as long as Football sits atop the totem pole, which btw will be forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    You say it's a turn-off, yet there's no other sport which gains anywhere near the attention. Rightly or wrongly it's hard to see FIFA being too quick to change things as long as Football sits atop the totem pole, which btw will be forever.
    Exactly - summed it up way better than I did.

Incentive for Fifa to upset the status quo is about zero.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    i find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

diving is cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. My first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this wc was a dive and i promptly switched off

i'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits
    awta 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Just on the other aspect in the thread, abusing refs.

Think it's terrible tbh. Causes big problems at lower levels, young kids reffing being abused by players and spectators. The impression seems to be it's condoned at the highest level.

Drogba's case in the CL for instance - appalling. How he didn't get 12 months is beyond me.

**** I'd have loved to have refereed that game. I'd have dropped him like a bad habit if he'd abused me like that.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    shut up ffs, you're getting annoying
    So are your petulant posts in this manner ftr, cut it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, worst thing when players don't play to the whistle. Big source of frustration when I see our players to do that.
    This. Classic case was Lucas Neill when Germany scored their first goal against us.

So busy appealing for off side (I think) he didn't move to get between Podolski and the goal, in fact, he didn't even see him because he was remonstrating.

Cost us the game tbh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Just on the other aspect in the thread, abusing refs.

Think it's terrible tbh. Causes big problems at lower levels, young kids reffing being abused by players and spectators. The impression seems to be it's condoned at the highest level.

Drogba's case in the CL for instance - appalling. How he didn't get 12 months is beyond me.

**** I'd have loved to have refereed that game. I'd have dropped him like a bad habit if he'd abused me like that.
    Refs have the option of booking players for dissent and sending them off for foul and abusive language.

If they're not using that option, that's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    I find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

Compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

Diving IS cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. my first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this WC was a dive and I promptly switched off

I'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits
    So is jersey pulling, handling the ball in your own penalty area deliberately and wrestling forwards at a corner kick. Where's the 4 page thread decrying these heinous acts of cheating and bad sportsmanship that we've seen in the last few days?

Look at what Walter Samuel and Lucio repeatedly got away with in the Champions League tie against Chelsea and tell me guys like Drogba aren't occasionally justified in going to ground a little easily. Even when Drogba got sent off against Inter, that whole incident started with Thiago Motta wrestling Drogba to the ground, an act of cheating which had to have been seen and ignored by the referee, seeing as he was quick to send Drogba off for retaliation.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Disgusting behaviour from Son Of Coco and PhoenixFire.

Did you learn nothing from this thread: A plea ???
    Quit baiting people.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Refs have the option of booking players for dissent and sending them off for foul and abusive language.

If they're not using that option, that's their problem.
    What an inane point to make.

Of course it's their problem. But if they're in charge of the game, and they're not doing it, then the game has a problem, QED.

As for your other post, people might not find the other matters as big a deal mate. What's your problem with that? It might be, that when someone pulls on another's shirt, the ramification isn't the other person potentially being sent off, or having a goal scored against them, as it is if someone drops down like they've been hit by a sniper without contact being made.

But sure, sorry people think there might be something amiss with the game. Yeah, just deal with it and all that. In fact, you ought to close the thread, shouldn't discuss it at all...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information