• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why doesn't FIFA do something about diving/players abusing referees?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, I think GF has a point. Most dives aren't with the intention of getting an opponent sent off - obviously we see them, like last night - they are generally to try and earn a free kick or penalty, basically to try and earn a goal illegitimately. Given that a pull of the shirt is normally an attempt to prevent a goal illegitimately, a comparison can be made.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's also worth noting that there are lots of other sports where people simulate for fouls or whatever and it's always considered to be a dirty way to play the game, whereas giving away free kicks/fouls is pretty inevitable and part of a dedicated contest.

You're meant to try and win the ball, if you go too far in an effort to do so you'll give away a free kick. You're not meant to pathetically throw yourself to the ground in an attempt to win a free kick instead of trying to win the ball. I really don't consider them comparable at all.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but sometimes it's necessary to go down a bit easy. Just yesterday I was playing a game for my own club and I am a solid/strong guy and very hard to get off my feet, but this guy tried to run right through me with his elbow up. I ended up staying on my feet but felt like I had been punched. It was an obvious foul but because I had stayed on my feet the ref didn't call it, unbelievably. The same thing goes for pros in many situations; as they're clearly impeded but the ref doesn't blow the whistle unless an obvious foul is committed or the player goes down.

Agree with a lot of what the thread starter has said though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll leave it at this, no need to go round in circles, I have deja vu as I think you and I had this very same discussion four years ago :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but sometimes it's necessary to go down a bit easy. Just yesterday I was playing a game for my own club and I am a solid/strong guy and very hard to get off my feet, but this guy tried to run right through me with his elbow up. I ended up staying on my feet but felt like I had been punched. It was an obvious foul but because I had stayed on my feet the ref didn't call it, unbelievably. The same thing goes for pros in many situations; as they're clearly impeded but the ref doesn't blow the whistle unless an obvious foul is committed or the player goes down.

Agree with a lot of what the thread starter has said though.
Going down easy is quite different from this:

If this is 'going down easy', then Paris Hilton is a nun.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Manan, that clearly has nothing to do with what I was referring to. FTR, I think the players that go down like that should be punished with reds. If missed during the match, they should be given post-game penalties.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

Compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

Diving IS cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. my first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this WC was a dive and I promptly switched off

I'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You say it's a turn-off, yet there's no other sport which gains anywhere near the attention. Rightly or wrongly it's hard to see FIFA being too quick to change things as long as Football sits atop the totem pole, which btw will be forever.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
You say it's a turn-off, yet there's no other sport which gains anywhere near the attention. Rightly or wrongly it's hard to see FIFA being too quick to change things as long as Football sits atop the totem pole, which btw will be forever.
Exactly - summed it up way better than I did.

Incentive for Fifa to upset the status quo is about zero.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
i find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

diving is cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. My first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this wc was a dive and i promptly switched off

i'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits
awta 100%

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just on the other aspect in the thread, abusing refs.

Think it's terrible tbh. Causes big problems at lower levels, young kids reffing being abused by players and spectators. The impression seems to be it's condoned at the highest level.

Drogba's case in the CL for instance - appalling. How he didn't get 12 months is beyond me.

**** I'd have loved to have refereed that game. I'd have dropped him like a bad habit if he'd abused me like that.

Burgey

Yeah, worst thing when players don't play to the whistle. Big source of frustration when I see our players to do that.
This. Classic case was Lucas Neill when Germany scored their first goal against us.

So busy appealing for off side (I think) he didn't move to get between Podolski and the goal, in fact, he didn't even see him because he was remonstrating.

Cost us the game tbh :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just on the other aspect in the thread, abusing refs.

Think it's terrible tbh. Causes big problems at lower levels, young kids reffing being abused by players and spectators. The impression seems to be it's condoned at the highest level.

Drogba's case in the CL for instance - appalling. How he didn't get 12 months is beyond me.

**** I'd have loved to have refereed that game. I'd have dropped him like a bad habit if he'd abused me like that.
Refs have the option of booking players for dissent and sending them off for foul and abusive language.

If they're not using that option, that's their problem.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I find it interesting that on a cricket site some people are basically saying that they dont know what all the fuss is about

Compare that to the reaction when a cricketer claims a 50/50 catch - the guy is crucified for years and yet, in virtually every incidence, no-one can say with any certainty that he is a cheat

Diving IS cheating and that is absolutely beyond dispute.

Furthermore, it is an absolute blight on football and turns casual observers off the game in droves e.g. my first glimpse of the world's most expensive footballer in this WC was a dive and I promptly switched off

I'd be more than happy to see instant reds for this offence and, let's not kid ourselves, this penalty still pales into insignificance when compared to the stigma attached to cheats in other pursuits
So is jersey pulling, handling the ball in your own penalty area deliberately and wrestling forwards at a corner kick. Where's the 4 page thread decrying these heinous acts of cheating and bad sportsmanship that we've seen in the last few days?

Look at what Walter Samuel and Lucio repeatedly got away with in the Champions League tie against Chelsea and tell me guys like Drogba aren't occasionally justified in going to ground a little easily. Even when Drogba got sent off against Inter, that whole incident started with Thiago Motta wrestling Drogba to the ground, an act of cheating which had to have been seen and ignored by the referee, seeing as he was quick to send Drogba off for retaliation.

Burgey

Refs have the option of booking players for dissent and sending them off for foul and abusive language.

If they're not using that option, that's their problem.
What an inane point to make.

Of course it's their problem. But if they're in charge of the game, and they're not doing it, then the game has a problem, QED.

As for your other post, people might not find the other matters as big a deal mate. What's your problem with that? It might be, that when someone pulls on another's shirt, the ramification isn't the other person potentially being sent off, or having a goal scored against them, as it is if someone drops down like they've been hit by a sniper without contact being made.

But sure, sorry people think there might be something amiss with the game. Yeah, just deal with it and all that. In fact, you ought to close the thread, shouldn't discuss it at all...