• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it ok to boo your own team?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not technically exclusive to the world cup or football itself, but it seems to be a salient and relevant issue in the current context. Though I would not usually back the booing approach myself, I would say there are certain situations in which it is justified, the current state of the England team being one of them. That said, I would be a lot more reluctant to start booing Arsenal or any other domestic team I followed, I'm not entirely sure why this is.

Anyway, discuss.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't boo a team if I was at the ground but would rip into them after the game if they performed badly. That said I understand when others boo if a team has not given a **** about the game. I've seen plenty of Arsenal performances that merit it over the past few years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I wouldn't boo if the performance was just bad. But it's the lack of effort and general impression of the players not giving a monkeys' that warrants the boos for mine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not generally in favour and I think English fans are pretty good in that respect. When I've watched Spanish or (particularly) Italian domestic games it's amazing how quickly the fans get on their own team's backs.

Think the booing last night was more out of frustration. More distasteful is the Wembley crowd singling out its victim du jour to boo. Cashley and Arbuckle seem to have been targets of late, but going back a few years Waddle and Barnes copped a fair bit too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's the difference between booing and yelling to myself "****ing hell we are ****!" (which I've yelled many times to my beloved Richmond team)

I really just don't see how one is acceptable, yet the other is "disloyal".

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Booing just doesn't feel right if it's your own team, unless you want them to lose.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf there have been past occasions on which I have wanted England to lose. The failure of the team to qualify for Euro 2008 was one of my best moments as an England supporter.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If I paid a small fortune to venture halfway across the world to watch my team put in a tepid performance, I have the right to do whatever the hell I want.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I paid a small fortune to venture halfway across the world to watch my team put in a tepid performance, I have the right to do whatever the hell I want.
I agree with this - normally you can always just vote with your feet if you're not happy and stay away

Not that booing is something I'd expect to be justified under normal circumstances but last night was as grim as anything I've ever seen

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Everything has to have context. Booing your team week in and week out isnt on. Booing your team after a terrible performance that is way below the expected level is justifiable.

How else would crowds let people know of their displeasure?

Indipper

State Regular
Dont see why booing for a dire performance is somehow morally unacceptable though I'd really like to hear the reasoning. Can do it when you go to a concert, why not do it at the footy? Wouldnt boo U11s mind you.

Uppercut

It's definitely "okay". But if it's likely to make your team play worse in the future and you do it anyway then it makes you a crap supporter. Or not a supporter at all, perhaps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Absolutely it's OK. Frankly, I'd question the loyalty and passion of those who don't. Now, if someone else is booing your team, you defend them and kick their ass (if it's Philadelphia at least :p). But you absolutely have the right to boo your team if you feel they've given up or are performing well below their potential. The players are just hired mercenaries - it's the fans that make the team and last a lifetime. In American football, there's not a more loyal fanbase than the Philadelphia Eagles (we frequently have 10,000 people going to Eagles practices....) and we'll boo you if you let us down. Lose to a better team? That's fine and we'll support you all the way. 0-0 against Algeria in the World Cup if you're England - that's a slap in the face to the fans and their passion that got you those salaries. That's a booing - you better believe it.

Uppercut

I don't think it's necessarily always detrimental to the team. If last night's draw knocked England out, then booing would be much more appropriate. It's a way of saying things need to fundamentally change.

With a crucial game still to play, and a side so clearly heavily frustrated and lacking confidence, booing at the end is absolutely never going to improve the team's performance. So either you're an idiot for thinking it will, or you want your team to play badly in the next match.

Uppercut

Yeah, but you're a crap supporter :p.

I just don't see how you can reconcile "supporting" a sporting team with deliberately trying to harm their chances of success, whatever that entails.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You boo if they don't try. If they don't try, they don't deserve your support. Simple as. They can turn it around next game. If hearing a little boo harms their chances instead of spurring them on to do better, they're a bunch of losers who won't ever achieve anything anyway, and it's time to get new players.

pasag

RTDAS
Not a huge fan of booing in most contexts, even towards the opposition. Obv ok to boo Collingwood players and fans though.