Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75

Thread: Is it ok to boo your own team?

  1. #31
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The title of the thread says "Is it ok to boo your own team?"

    Tranmere is my team

    Therefore, yes, yes it is


    Anyway, you're stating opinion as fact. On what basis can you say that it's going to make them ****ter? Some players thrive on provijg people wrong, others let their head drop. You can't make hard fast rules.
    It's another debate entirely. Do you think England will play better in the next match than they would have had they not been booed?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  2. #32
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,125
    I don't know; I'm not a psychologist. I don't think you can definitively state it either way and nor do I think you can state such a thing collectively.

    The supposed eleven best players in the country shouldn't be too worried about a bit of booing nonetheless.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #33
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    10,747
    Never booed Brentford but do not blame people for doing it in some circumstances, yesterday was certainly one of them.

  4. #34
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,034
    The only people I've booed in my life have been refs when they walk ONTO the ground and that was habit and a bit of fun

    Maybe I'm nave but I happen to believe that everyone does their best when on the field


  5. #35
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,769
    I've never booed Exeter and can't see myself ever doing so: nothing irritates me more than morons getting on the team's back because of a couple of misplaced passes in the context of what's been achieved in the last few years.

    England, last night, however... it's different. People have flown halfway round the world to support the side and they turn in such abject, fearful ****. I am struggling to remember a worse England performance in a game that mattered - and it was **** because the players barely ever tried to make things happen - it was safety first, just kick-and-rush wait for something to happen.

    I don't think I'd have joined the boos last night - same way I can't see myself doing so if we get stuffed at Melbourne or Sydney this winter - but I didn't feel myself angered in the same way as I do when it happens at Exeter. We can't possibly play worse, anyway.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #36
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I don't know; I'm not a psychologist. I don't think you can definitively state it either way and nor do I think you can state such a thing collectively.

    The supposed eleven best players in the country shouldn't be too worried about a bit of booing nonetheless.
    Imagine it depends on what motivates people to play, if they're just doing it for themselves then they probably don't care, if they're playing for the country and national pride and all that jazz I imagine they'd be pretty upset.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  7. #37
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,053
    They'll obviously be affected in some way by 30,000 people booing them off the pitch when they're representing their country. I don't get how being one of the best 11 players in your country has any impact on that at all.

  8. #38
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,356
    Yea, hopefully it'll get them to do better next time instead of just sliding by because they didn't get called on heir crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  9. #39
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,301
    No I don't think it's ok. Especially so with regards to the current England problem. A reason why the team has played poorly and may continue to do so is because of the ridiculous pressure the fans put on the players and the way they turn on them at the drop of a hat.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

    [Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

    [Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath


    In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

    Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

  10. #40
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    No I don't think it's ok. Especially so with regards to the current England problem. A reason why the team has played poorly and may continue to do so is because of the ridiculous pressure the fans put on the players and the way they turn on them at the drop of a hat.
    Two problems with that: firstly I don't think an expectation that England would beat a demonstrably inferior side like Algeria is ridiculous pressure & secondly it wasn't at the drop of a hat. It was at the arse end of the game when the players had shown neither the ability nor much of an inclination to score.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  11. #41
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    They'll obviously be affected in some way by 30,000 people booing them off the pitch when they're representing their country. I don't get how being one of the best 11 players in your country has any impact on that at all.
    Yeah they will be affected in some way - that doesn't automatically mean it would be a negative. I would feel that I let those people down, and it would motivate me to do better.

    As for being one of the best players, well being able to handle the mental side of things is obviously part of that, given the microscope all of their football is played under. Rooney, for example, has dealt with worse things than being booed by his own fans when playing for Man U. Those who can't handle it wouldn't have made it in the Prem.

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    No, it is not.

  13. #43
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,301
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Two problems with that: firstly I don't think an expectation that England would beat a demonstrably inferior side like Algeria is ridiculous pressure & secondly it wasn't at the drop of a hat. It was at the arse end of the game when the players had shown neither the ability nor much of an inclination to score.
    You can't win every game all the time. England qualified comfortably and have shown their quality. Instead of backing them to win the last match and possibly still end up topping the group their fans have been harassing them since game 1 - one which was tied because of a howler from the keeper. Fans who have the inclination of support should get some perspective. If their team is ****, then stop expecting so much. If it's not, then back them to make it right.

    Personally, I rarely buy it when fans complain "X didn't try". Bull****. This is the WC...they're giving their all the best way they know how. Maybe they're no good, maybe they should try other things, but to say that they're not "trying" as if they dont care is insulting to the players.
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-06-2010 at 01:12 PM.

  14. #44
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    You can't win every game all the time. England qualified comfortably and have shown their quality. Instead of backing them to win the last match and possibly still end up topping the group their fans have been harassing them since game 1 - one which was tied because of a howler from the keeper. Fans who have the inclination of support should get some perspective. If their team is ****, then stop expecting so much. If it's not, then back them to make it right.

    Personally, I rarely buy it when fans complain "X didn't try". Bull****. This is the WC...they're giving their all the best way they know how. Maybe they're no good, maybe they should try other things, but to say that they're not "trying" as if they dont care is insulting to the players.
    I don't remember any booing during the US game, but it could be I missed it because of the horns.

    & it isn't that the team is crap. Admittedly I am English, but even if I were a neutral observer I'd expect England to beat Algeria. Many of my fellow countrymen doubtless shared this fairly reasonable expectation and those who'd shelled out a few thousand quid were probably a bit miffed to see the team (for whatever reason) perform so badly.

  15. #45
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah they will be affected in some way - that doesn't automatically mean it would be a negative. I would feel that I let those people down, and it would motivate me to do better.

    As for being one of the best players, well being able to handle the mental side of things is obviously part of that, given the microscope all of their football is played under. Rooney, for example, has dealt with worse things than being booed by his own fans when playing for Man U. Those who can't handle it wouldn't have made it in the Prem.
    It's blatantly obvious to anyone watching England at the moment that they're having confidence issues, so I don't think the "good footballers can handle it" theory is holding up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pro Cycling Thread
    By Craig in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 669
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 12:54 PM
  2. is anyone there onwer of dadas team of Omar Dada
    By omardada in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 05:34 AM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 25-02-2009, 06:47 AM
  4. Battrick Team Details
    By superkingdave in forum Battrick
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 02:40 AM
  5. Isn't Saurav Ganguly such a lovable character ?
    By DaBombayDuck in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 31-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •