Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to boo your own team?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't think it's necessarily always detrimental to the team. If last night's draw knocked England out, then booing would be much more appropriate. It's a way of saying things need to fundamentally change.

With a crucial game still to play, and a side so clearly heavily frustrated and lacking confidence, booing at the end is absolutely never going to improve the team's performance. So either you're an idiot for thinking it will, or you want your team to play badly in the next match.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I wouldn't want such weak minded fools on my team anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Yeah, but you're a crap supporter .

I just don't see how you can reconcile "supporting" a sporting team with deliberately trying to harm their chances of success, whatever that entails.

You boo if they don't try. If they don't try, they don't deserve your support. Simple as. They can turn it around next game. If hearing a little boo harms their chances instead of spurring them on to do better, they're a bunch of losers who won't ever achieve anything anyway, and it's time to get new players.

Not a huge fan of booing in most contexts, even towards the opposition. Obv ok to boo Collingwood players and fans though.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That's fine and we'll support you all the way. 0-0 against Algeria in the World Cup if you're England - that's a slap in the face to the fans and their passion that got you those salaries. That's a booing - you better believe it.
    Yeah, but the majority of those players' salaries come from their club income. Do you think it's justifiable for the lowest paid member of the side to cop the same booing per capita as Rooney?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Yeah, but the majority of those players' salaries come from their club income. Do you think it's justifiable for the lowest paid member of the side to cop the same booing per capita as Rooney?
    Yea. Deal with it. Most players know if they've played like **** and if it applies to them.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Have only ever booed my own team when John Barnes was in charge.

hate it when people boo during the game/at half-time, hate it when your own player gets booed. Booing at the end just because they've lost, meh, shouldn't happen - if the effort hasn't been there, then boo at the end, IMO. Fans are essentially the customers, and if the customers aren't happy, you don't reduce your quality upon hearing this.

Booing the opposition is a must though.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

You boo if they don't try. If they don't try, they don't deserve your support. Simple as. They can turn it around next game. If hearing a little boo harms their chances instead of spurring them on to do better, they're a bunch of losers who won't ever achieve anything anyway, and it's time to get new players.
    Right. So you only support your team when they try?

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fans are essentially the customers
    Wait- this isn't how you feel about Tranmere at all!

I'd boo if I thought it would help out the team I was supporting. When you want a manager sacked, for example, it makes perfect sense to let the club know. But England's "supporters" booing last night is just going to make their team even ****ter, and they know it. Doing it anyway makes them crap fans.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Clearly as a shock tactic, booing has a role and a place. When it is common place then it is unseemly and cheap.

It does raise an interesting question though. Do the players and club exist to provide entertainment to the paying customer or is the paying customer paying for the right to watch people play sport? Does club sport differ from International sport in this regard?

I am firmly in the latter camp. I dont think of sport as entertainment but as something people are entertained by.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Right. So you only support your team when they try?
    I would shoot my self in the head before I 'support' another team against mine. Booing is not a lack of support, booing is anger at your team letting you down. Like how you reprimand your kids if they do something wrong. You can be disappointed in your kids, but you won't ever want to get rid of them.

Spectator sport has no intrinsic value except in what it means for the spectators. We are moved by it, it draws us in, it causes such visceral reaction in us despite it 'meaning' aboslutely nothing in an objective sense. The 'dispassionate fan' is an oxymoron.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Wait- this isn't how you feel about Tranmere at all!

I'd boo if I thought it would help out the team I was supporting. When you want a manager sacked, for example, it makes perfect sense to let the club know. But England's "supporters" booing last night is just going to make their team even ****ter, and they know it. Doing it anyway makes them crap fans.
    The title of the thread says "Is it ok to boo your own team?"

Tranmere is my team

Therefore, yes, yes it is

Anyway, you're stating opinion as fact. On what basis can you say that it's going to make them ****ter? Some players thrive on provijg people wrong, others let their head drop. You can't make hard fast rules.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Spectator sport has no intrinsic value except in what it means for the spectators.
    Taking money out of the economy to curb inflation?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information