• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pele vs Maradona

Who is better ?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is brilliant stuff. Descended to Hades in a Handbasket.

FTR I can't believe Archie Thompson hasn't been mentioned here. Scored 13 in one international game ffs.

Stick that in yer pipes, Edson and Diego.

L Trumper

State Regular
Got absolutely **** all to do with anything.

Pele's one of those players who people recall with misty-eyed nostalgia, to the point where the legend overshadows the reality. It's debatable whether Pele was even Brazil's greatest World Cup player: 1958 and 62 we had Garrincha, 70 we had Jairzinho, my generation has Ronaldo. Garrincha and Ronaldo IMO certainly have a case to the claim of greatest Brazilian World Cup player. Compare that to Maradona, who single-handedly dragged Argentina to not one, but 2 finals, and won Scudettos and European trophies at Napoli.
In 58 pele did better than garrincha, 62 is garrincha's WC. In 70 all the brazilians are great players with both jairz, pele being the best. Maradona single handedly dragged to 2 finals? that is also debatable.. In 90 arg played **** poor through out the entire WC, and maradona is kinda carrying a niggle and nearly not as effective as you think he is. As far as club career is considered maradona excelled at napoli, but its not like pele is just another player at santos his records are miles ahead of other players of his era at SA or europe.

I can understand saying diego is better than pele, but by quite some distance?? Most of your points are kinda how diego compare himself to pele.

Agent TBY

International Captain
FTR I can't believe Archie Thompson hasn't been mentioned here. Scored 13 in one international game ffs.
Goals scored against minnows don't count.

Also, he averages 1 in England and 0 against Australia in Australia. What an awful player.