• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cellar Dweller World Cup

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Using the same format with the same number of teams from each region and SA there as hosts, what is the worst 32 possible teams.

Obviously it cannot just be the worst 32 teams in the world as each continent has to send its teams.

Basically, a WC involving the worst teams.

Ill post mine in a min.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Europe (13): Liechtenstein, Estonia, Malta, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Andorra, Faroe Islands, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova

Africa (5+1): South Africa, Comoros, Somalia, Guinea-Bissau, Djibouti, Sierra Leone

South America (5): Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia

Asia (4): Timor, Myanmar, Cambodia, Nepal

CONACAF (3): US Virgin Islands, Montserrat, Anguilla

Oceania (1): American Samoa

Columbia to walk that easily for mine due to the lack of some really poor South American nations.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Would probably be more entertaining than this one TBF, the teams might actually think they have a chance of winning.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Only using teams that attempted to qualify. Wales were one of the next teams on the list to qualify for Europe. I chose Fiji as they have a play in game so cant be terrible.

What would the semi-finals look like? Group F the 'Group of Death'? Which is the worst group?

Group A
South Africa
US Virgin Islands
Malta
Ecuador

Group B
Mongolia
Columbia
Comoros
Moldova

Group C
San Marino
Anguilla
Liechtenstein
Guinea-Bissau

Group D
Armenia
Somalia
Andorra
Macau

Group E
Faroe Islands
Pakistan
Mauritius
Georgia

Group F
Venezuela
Iceland
Fiji
Kazakhstan

Group G
Lesotho
Azerbaijan
Timor-Leste
Bolivia

Group H
Belarus
Monserrat
Estonia
Peru

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Would think it would be similar to normal World Cups, in hotter climates a South American side would win, in cooler climates more likely a European side. The South American teams are generally ranked higher but some of that is because they play their home games at altitude.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would think it would be similar to normal World Cups, in hotter climates a South American side would win, in cooler climates more likely a European side. The South American teams are generally ranked higher but some of that is because they play their home games at altitude.
I think you would have to back South Africa. Im not saying they are the best but they have to be up there. Id have to go with them otherwise it makes a shambles of them being in the real WC.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Belarus, if Hleb circa 2007 decided to turn up, or South Africa. The South American sides should be pretty good too, Bolivia beat Argentina 6-1 for example.

Any worst 32 teams would have to include most Oceanian states though :p

Last edited:

Pothas

Yeah a South American side would take this I rekon, South Africa not a bad bet though.

Son Of Coco

Anyone seen the documentary 'The Other Final'? I think it was on around the time of the 2002 WC. Pretty interesting.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, but there are a bucketload of islands in the Caribbean that are worse than Montenegro. Clearly 13 UEFA teams is a bit pointless here.

Picking by eloratings would be better.

Oceania 4: American Samoa, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga
South America 1: Peru
CONCACAF 11: Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands
Asia 10: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, East Timor, Macau, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Taiwan
Africa 4: Somalia, Comoros, Djibouti, Seychelles
Europe 2: San Marino, Andorra
Host: South Africa

There, that's a proper cellar dweller cup. Where Peru (who are the worst side in South America but about 100 spots better than the worst here) & South Africa would run riot and reach the final.