Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Not getting the horn...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Not getting the horn...

...for those ****ing vuvuzelas. Worst than Hitler, IMHO. Sounds like every stadium is infested with an angry swarm of bees.

Get it sorted yarps, they're a stain on your world cup.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Id like to tell you that when you go to games in SA to watch in the stadium that you get used to them and that they add to the atmosphere. It isnt true. They add to the diverse football culture but that is scant reward for the pain in the ass they are.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Agreed, they are so ****ing annoying. Just drown out any atmosphere that would otherwise be there. Ban them IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    They are so ****ing awful. Not musical in the slightest, can't hear cheering, get rid of them.

It was recording the noise is at 127 decibels. Yeah I'm not much of a fan either.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Agreed, I tried watching the game in the student centre yesterday, but people were holding an impromptu 'whose vuvuzela is the loudest' contest and I had to go watch at a friend's house. Wish they succeeded in getting them banned.

Pretty bad during West Indies cricket as well.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Haha, I must be alone in not being particularly bothered about them. I'm by no means a fan, but I'd rather listen to them than the majority of dross, cliches and narrative we get served dressed up as "commentary".

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Id like to tell you that when you go to games in SA to watch in the stadium that you get used to them and that they add to the atmosphere. It isnt true. They add to the diverse football culture but that is scant reward for the pain in the ass they are.
    Apparently banning them would be making the World Cup held in Africa 'European' and so therefore we have to get used to them because it is an African thing.

So said Sepp Blatter.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha, I must be alone in not being particularly bothered about them. I'm by no means a fan, but I'd rather listen to them than the majority of dross, cliches and narrative we get served dressed up as "commentary".
    They are a slight irritant but do not actually mind them all that much.

It is just a shame you get them AND the ITV commentary, would nice if they were just a tad louder.
    Last edited by Pothas; 12-06-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It was recording the noise is at 127 decibels. Yeah I'm not much of a fan either.
    Surely there must be some way of getting them banned on health and safety grounds? That sort of level is dangerous.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Apparently banning them would be making the World Cup held in Africa 'European' and so therefore we have to get used to them because it is an African thing.

So said Sepp Blatter.
    Yeah, I can see that. They are a huge part of South African football and it is being hosted there. Saying that, South African football culture is very weak.

I can see how some people could find them interesting for a min or two (I admit that I bought and used a vuvuzela at the first game I went to in SA). They are different and add to the 'African flavour' but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

My POV, they are annoying as hell, probably bad for health and saftey but probably best to suck it up and accept them as it is an African World Cup and this is a big part of football culture there and quite frankly there isnt much other football culture (besides bribery and corruption) to embrace.

They kept me awake during the France game last night. Not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah, I can see that. They are a huge part of South African football and it is being hosted there. Saying that, South African football culture is very weak.

I can see how some people could find them interesting for a min or two (I admit that I bought and used a vuvuzela at the first game I went to in SA). They are different and add to the 'African flavour' but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

My POV, they are annoying as hell, probably bad for health and saftey but probably best to suck it up and accept them as it is an African World Cup and this is a big part of football culture there and quite frankly there isnt much other football culture (besides bribery and corruption) to embrace.
    The vuvuzelas themselves would suppress a lot of other football culture.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Completely kills the atmosphere. No rise and fall in crowd emotion throughout the game, just a constant drone.

When South Korea scored the goal before, you could hardly tell based on the reaction of the crowd.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information