• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not getting the horn...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
...for those ****ing vuvuzelas. Worst than Hitler, IMHO. Sounds like every stadium is infested with an angry swarm of bees.

Get it sorted yarps, they're a stain on your world cup.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to tell you that when you go to games in SA to watch in the stadium that you get used to them and that they add to the atmosphere. It isnt true. They add to the diverse football culture but that is scant reward for the pain in the ass they are.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Agreed, they are so ****ing annoying. Just drown out any atmosphere that would otherwise be there. Ban them IMO.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Agreed, I tried watching the game in the student centre yesterday, but people were holding an impromptu 'whose vuvuzela is the loudest' contest and I had to go watch at a friend's house. Wish they succeeded in getting them banned.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I must be alone in not being particularly bothered about them. I'm by no means a fan, but I'd rather listen to them than the majority of dross, cliches and narrative we get served dressed up as "commentary".

Craig

World Traveller
Id like to tell you that when you go to games in SA to watch in the stadium that you get used to them and that they add to the atmosphere. It isnt true. They add to the diverse football culture but that is scant reward for the pain in the ass they are.
Apparently banning them would be making the World Cup held in Africa 'European' and so therefore we have to get used to them because it is an African thing.

So said Sepp Blatter.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, I must be alone in not being particularly bothered about them. I'm by no means a fan, but I'd rather listen to them than the majority of dross, cliches and narrative we get served dressed up as "commentary".
They are a slight irritant but do not actually mind them all that much.

It is just a shame you get them AND the ITV commentary, would nice if they were just a tad louder.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently banning them would be making the World Cup held in Africa 'European' and so therefore we have to get used to them because it is an African thing.

So said Sepp Blatter.
Yeah, I can see that. They are a huge part of South African football and it is being hosted there. Saying that, South African football culture is very weak.

I can see how some people could find them interesting for a min or two (I admit that I bought and used a vuvuzela at the first game I went to in SA). They are different and add to the 'African flavour' but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

My POV, they are annoying as hell, probably bad for health and saftey but probably best to suck it up and accept them as it is an African World Cup and this is a big part of football culture there and quite frankly there isnt much other football culture (besides bribery and corruption) to embrace.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I can see that. They are a huge part of South African football and it is being hosted there. Saying that, South African football culture is very weak.

I can see how some people could find them interesting for a min or two (I admit that I bought and used a vuvuzela at the first game I went to in SA). They are different and add to the 'African flavour' but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

My POV, they are annoying as hell, probably bad for health and saftey but probably best to suck it up and accept them as it is an African World Cup and this is a big part of football culture there and quite frankly there isnt much other football culture (besides bribery and corruption) to embrace.
The vuvuzelas themselves would suppress a lot of other football culture.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Completely kills the atmosphere. No rise and fall in crowd emotion throughout the game, just a constant drone.

When South Korea scored the goal before, you could hardly tell based on the reaction of the crowd.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What sort of a clown goes to a sporting event and just blows a horn? How does someone with over two brain cells get enjoyment out of that? Culture or not, it's just ridiculous. Just sit down and watch the game, muppets.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's an awful sound.

But it's kind of funny in a way how they all overlap into one continous drone - makes it sound like there's someone with quite incredible lung capacity.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not watched a game so far, but if they're anything at all like the horns they blow at Pakistan ODIs in England, I'm against them. Worst things.