• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not getting the horn...

shivfan

Banned
This West European campaign in the media and elsewhere to get the vuvuzela banned is a joke....

It's not often I say this, but well said, Sepp Blatter!

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: Organisers will not ban vuvuzelas

'Fifa president Sepp Blatter also weighed into the debate and believes vuvuzelas are part and parcel of football in South Africa. "I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," he commented on social networking site Twitter. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country. Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?" '

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I'm waiting for the carbon dating to trace plastic FIFA endorsed vuvuzelas back to well before Christ. They're a modern fad. They have **** all history, particularly in South Africa.

Spark

Global Moderator
On TV I don't mind it so much, I just tune it out mentally.

But if it is actually 130dB, then ban them I say. Don't really care what the locals think in that case, that's many times what you get at many rock concerts and quite obviously dangerous.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was playing FIFA 08 today on the ps3. Felt empty without the feeling of a vicious headache at the end of the game itbt.

biased indian

International Coach
on the first day SA vs Mex game was a pain to watch with the bee sound
but have got used to it by now and think for all other games it was actually lot less
but with the publicity it is getting i think more people will be now taking it to matches and blowing
it for more time than they might have other wise done
think it will be difficult to watch EPL in august with out this sound

biased indian

International Coach
England defender Jamie Carragher said the noise did not bother him when he came on as a half-time substitute during the 1-1 draw with the United States and he said he had already bought two to take home to his children in Liverpool.
"When I came on I didn't notice it too much. I think you notice it more when you are watching on TV," he said.

Scaly piscine

On TV I don't mind it so much, I just tune it out mentally.

But if it is actually 130dB, then ban them I say. Don't really care what the locals think in that case, that's many times what you get at many rock concerts and quite obviously dangerous.
Yea around 85dB is the point at which you'd need hearing protection if you were in an industrial environment or similar, every 3dB after that and the time you can reasonably safely tolerate such volume decreases by about half. At 115dB the time is 30 seconds and after that there's no permissible exposure time before possible damage. Levels for the vuvuzelas have been reported in the 120s by various sources.

Oh and I'm sure Carragher and a lot of other people already have reduced hearing already.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
If your worried about hearing damage wear some ear plugs or put your fingers in your ears. Alternately, don't go.

As for the "waahh it's on my tv, waaahh" turn your tv down and hit subtitles if your that desperate for one-eyed commentary. Or perhaps turn your attention to the human rights issues instead of the ****ing horns.

The hornz theyz hutz mine earzz

shivfan

Banned
Yea around 85dB is the point at which you'd need hearing protection if you were in an industrial environment or similar, every 3dB after that and the time you can reasonably safely tolerate such volume decreases by about half. At 115dB the time is 30 seconds and after that there's no permissible exposure time before possible damage. Levels for the vuvuzelas have been reported in the 120s by various sources.

Oh and I'm sure Carragher and a lot of other people already have reduced hearing already.
Anyone who plays in the racket and din that is the Kop is bound to have reduced hearing....

I heard both anthems in the NZ-Slovakia match, and in the Ivory Coast-Portugal match, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They stop blowing the horns during the anthems out of respect. Mildly impressed by that actually.

Matteh

This West European campaign in the media and elsewhere to get the vuvuzela banned is a joke....

It's not often I say this, but well said, Sepp Blatter!

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: Organisers will not ban vuvuzelas

'Fifa president Sepp Blatter also weighed into the debate and believes vuvuzelas are part and parcel of football in South Africa. "I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," he commented on social networking site Twitter. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country. Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?" '
It's not a music tradition though. The bagpipe is the single worst instrument in the world but because it can actually belt out some sort of melody it's not too bad compared to a single note noiseless drone.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have actually seen people in the crowd on TV today wearing the kind of ear protection you see builders wearing on construction sites.

_Ed_

Unless plastic's been around in South Africa much longer than it has in the rest of the world, I don't see how you can use the tradition argument with regard to vuvuzelas.

benchmark00

You've all missed the joke Brumby was trying to make.

The title of this thread is clearly a euphemism.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ally McCoist on ESPN: "I've got 5 kids at home, so I actually find the vuvuzelas quite relaxing."

WAG.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unless plastic's been around in South Africa much longer than it has in the rest of the world, I don't see how you can use the tradition argument with regard to vuvuzelas.
Tradition doesn't have to mean you made it up or invented it.

It's obviously a custom. A really stupid one, but it's theirs and they're entitled to it.

Last edited: