• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not getting the horn...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've only ever seen trouble inside a ground once, first hand. Rangers FTR :ph34r:

Seen a couple of pubs ripped apart but given the amount of games I've been to and the fact I've been going twenty years, I can safely say Sir Alex has no clue what he's talking about, as per usual. Wears his anti-Englishness as a badge of honour, tragic.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Vuvuzelas are spread over the stadium. When you watch it on TV you feel it is constant because of mics being all over the place. But in actuality the greatest exposure comes from the person standing next to you and unless he is the pied piper's successor I can't imagine anyone blowing the horn for more than 5 minutes at the most. It is not as if every fan is surrounded by an army of vuvuzela blowing spectators who take turns to ensure the drone is constantly kept over the 90 minutes is it?
Exposure to 120+ dB for more than 30 seconds is documented as a cause of hearing loss and pain.

There were 84,000 vuvuzelas at the opening ceremony. Assuming that the stadium seats twice as many people, thats still 50% of the spectators wielding those horns. Calculate the number of vuvuzelas in an appropriate radius for an individual, bearing in mind that the reduction is only 6 dB for every doubling of distance, and throw in those 5 minutes per person, a conservative estimate at that, plus a variable for them taking turns.

I don't need to be SS to figure out that's a lot of noise.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Vuvuzelas are spread over the stadium. When you watch it on TV you feel it is constant because of mics being all over the place. But in actuality the greatest exposure comes from the person standing next to you and unless he is the pied piper's successor I can't imagine anyone blowing the horn for more than 5 minutes at the most. It is not as if every fan is surrounded by an army of vuvuzela blowing spectators who take turns to ensure the drone is constantly kept over the 90 minutes is it?
Wow, how wrong you are. Admittedly the noise isnt as bad as big local PSL games but the noise is next to you all the time and almost trance inducing. Id recommend that you stop imagining. It is non-stop and not comparable to anything in the English game. I can assume you have never been to a SA soccer game to witness this

Regarding what people have said about health and saftey. You have to remember where this WC is. You cant expect the same behaviour or standards. Also, as I said, the noise isnt as bad as compared to big local games. Someone mentioned stadium announcements. What stadium announcements? This is Africa and African football we are talking about with all accompanying good and bad.

The 'horns' should come as no suprise to people. Its almost as if the TV companies and media have never watched a game from South Africa previously.

Vuvus are going nowhere. They are a royal pain but once the decision was made to give the WC to SA then this could only be expected. They are not pleasant but people need to suck it up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've only ever seen trouble inside a ground once, first hand. Rangers FTR :ph34r:

Seen a couple of pubs ripped apart but given the amount of games I've been to and the fact I've been going twenty years, I can safely say Sir Alex has no clue what he's talking about, as per usual. Wears his anti-Englishness as a badge of honour, tragic.
Only time I can think we've played at Prenton Park was against Shelbourne in the UEFA Cup in 1998, we won 5-3. There was a bit of trouble beforehand but I don't remember any reports of trouble in the ground.

Only ever seen crowd trouble twice - in 2002 vs Feyenoord when their fans decided to start attacking the Rangers fans on the other side of the police cordon, and in Bucharest last year, where I up at the back of the Rangers section, and suffered the appaling organisation of the Romanian police. While I'm not excusing what our fans did that night, I can fully understand why some fans reacted the way they did.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wow, how wrong you are. Admittedly the noise isnt as bad as big local PSL games but the noise is next to you all the time and almost trance inducing. Id recommend that you stop imagining. It is non-stop and not comparable to anything in the English game. I can assume you have never been to a SA soccer game to witness this

Regarding what people have said about health and saftey. You have to remember where this WC is. You cant expect the same behaviour or standards. Also, as I said, the noise isnt as bad as compared to big local games. Someone mentioned stadium announcements. What stadium announcements? This is Africa and African football we are talking about with all accompanying good and bad.

The 'horns' should come as no suprise to people. Its almost as if the TV companies and media have never watched a game from South Africa previously.

Vuvus are going nowhere. They are a royal pain but once the decision was made to give the WC to SA then this could only be expected. They are not pleasant but people need to suck it up.
That's the exact opposite of how you work those things, Goughy. :pokey:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone who doubts the vuvuzelas are a danger to health (hearing) really is on a different planet. There's simply not an argument there. It would be interesting if diagnosis was done properly on things like the incidence of tinnitus.

For me they should be banned. The culture and all that is bull****. The poorer South Africans are already effectively excluded from going. The vuvuzelas have a whole multitude of negative effects and virtually no positive ones.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who doubts the vuvuzelas are a danger to health (hearing) really is on a different planet.
Its not that anyone doubts it. It is just that noone gives a ****. You want to go to South Africa and tell them that horn blowing can hurt peoples ears and they will laugh at you. They (possibly rightly) dont care and couldnt care less if you, and others, do. Its not a big deal locally.

As they say out there "This is Africa, toughen up."

I dont want to sound like I like them, as I dont, but I know why they are used and how they are valued locally.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The BBC has definitely jacked up the volume on Pearce & Mick The Plank's commentary for the Eyetie/Para game to try to drown them out. If being forced into such desperate measures isn't a clinching argument for banning them then I dunno what is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Only time I can think we've played at Prenton Park was against Shelbourne in the UEFA Cup in 1998, we won 5-3. There was a bit of trouble beforehand but I don't remember any reports of trouble in the ground.

Only ever seen crowd trouble twice - in 2002 vs Feyenoord when their fans decided to start attacking the Rangers fans on the other side of the police cordon, and in Bucharest last year, where I up at the back of the Rangers section, and suffered the appaling organisation of the Romanian police. While I'm not excusing what our fans did that night, I can fully understand why some fans reacted the way they did.
Haha yeah that was the one. I was fibbing before, the trouble was before the game. Bottles flying outside the boozer. In the ground it was okay really, your lot were mouthing off at the stewards but let's be honest, we've all done that haven't we? :ph34r:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its not that anyone doubts it. It is just that noone gives a ****. You want to go to South Africa and tell them that horn blowing can hurt peoples ears and they will laugh at you. They (possibly rightly) dont care and couldnt care less if you, and others, do. Its not a big deal locally.

I dont want to sound like I like them, as I dont, but I know why they are used and how they are valued locally.
What about the argument that it's just ****?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone downloaded the Vuvuzela app for their iPhone?

It's actually a hell of a lot less annoying when it's you making the sound.

Tom Halsey

International Coach

This is all well and good, however Africans aren't the only ones who want to watch the World Cup, it is a global event and you should be able to go and watch it without being in danger of having your hearing permanently damaged. If there is a genuine risk of that happening (and it sounds to me like there is), they should be banned, no ifs or buts.

cpr

International Coach
Being quiet is pretty dire as well, what sort of crappy live sporting event is quiet? Golf is the obvious answer, but I can't think of any proper sports where the live games are quiet.
Tennis?? Man Utd at home??

About 3000 English hooligans were asked to surrender their passports ahead of this world cup because they were on the black list of authorities for causing problems at stadia repeatedly. I don't think any other nation had to take such extreme measures.
Thats because most other countries don't give a flying **** about their hooligans trashing the **** out of another country. And usually they pick on the Brits, who get labeled as hooligans for fighting back.... Vicious circle, at least our nation is one trying to do something to stop it.... Possibly because we are the only ones that FIFA/UEFA ever punish for it.

Dutch fans are shocking for violance, esp Feyenoord/PSV, we've had trouble out there ourselves, not to mention being attacked in Rome (by fans and then police), being tear gassed by the French police whilst penned in the away end... Same thing by the Spanish on Spurs fans......

The BBC has definitely jacked up the volume on Pearce & Mick The Plank's commentary for the Eyetie/Para game to try to drown them out. If being forced into such desperate measures isn't a clinching argument for banning them then I dunno what is.
Says it all when Mick McCarthy is an alternative..... Actually, he wasn't, turned the TV off rather than listen to him.

TBH, watching it on TV, I'm not overly bothered by the horns, just a different sound to what we are used to.... I might feel differently if I was at the game, but I'm not, none of us are, but a load of Africans who want to blow horns are, and if the crowd in there want to do it, then who are we to say no?

Personally think it'll die down in a week, yes local fans will still be into it, however those who tried it as a local footie custom for the first game they went to will probably not bother, so may ease up a bit...... Heres hoping.