• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not getting the horn...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
On the contrary, I quite like them, and I hope FIFA have the balls to stand up to all those Europeans who are calling for them to be banned....
Of course because it's only Europeans that are calling for them to be banned. I reckon there are probably loads of people world-wide (and probably some people in SA) that haven't gone to the games because they can't stand the dire noise they make. Why should people have to put up with them just because they it's some tradition to stand there for a whole game and blow some stupid trumpet like a moron all day. So dire.

shivfan

Banned
Well, more fans on caribbeancricket.com like them than dislike them....
:cool:
This is a South African World Cup. If they want vuvuzelas in the stadiums, then they should be allowed to have them there.

If you don't like it, turn off the TV, or switch to cricket, or tennis....

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, more fans on caribbeancricket.com like them than dislike them....
:cool:
This is a South African World Cup. If they want vuvuzelas in the stadiums, then they should be allowed to have them there.

If you don't like it, turn off the TV, or switch to cricket, or tennis....
That's the problem they're dealing with though...people probably are turning off because of the terrible noise they are making, which is hardly what the organisers want. It's all well and good to say they should have it because they want to etc. etc. but at what cost does it come?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The idea of banning them does seem a bit, "We're going to come into your country and tell you how to watch your football", tbph.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The idea of banning them does seem a bit, "We're going to come into your country and tell you how to watch your football", tbph.
If what we were subjected to was a carnival of traditional African music and drums, I'd welcome it and enjoy it, it would add an unmistakeably African flavour to the atmosphere.

Blowing a tuneless horn for 90 minutes just sounds crap, and it's the fact that it's tuneless noise that I object to.

Pothas

If what we were subjected to was a carnival of traditional African music and drums, I'd welcome it and enjoy it, it would add an unmistakeably African flavour to the atmosphere.

Blowing a tuneless horn for 90 minutes just sounds crap, and it's the fact that it's tuneless noise that I object to.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. I think they are bad but if you give the WC to SA then you have to expect them. They are part of (recent) SA football and its character.

Domestic SA football is terrible. It is corrupt as hell with refs, players and the league taking bribes. The product on the field is League of Ireland standard. At least the vuvu's give a distinctiveness to an otherwise anonymous footballing country.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Can't stand them. I've heard the networks in the US are trying to compensate the crowd mikes so that the horns are less audible. Hopefully they will succeed.

Matteh

Only game so far where I've heard chanting/singing over the top of the crap drone is the England game.
Singing/Band > what sounds like a nest of insects hovering over the pitch.

To some extent I've tuned it out, but because it's a one note drone you miss the rise and falls of crowd reaction, instead when a shot nearly goes in some moron blows into a horn.

Sir Alex

Banned
I prefer this bee sound to booing and whistling the opposition in the EPL.It's okay to be quiet like in India But booing opposition is just disgrace to sports really

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I prefer this bee sound to booing and whistling the opposition in the EPL.It's okay to be quiet like in India But booing opposition is just disgrace to sports really
I know you're trying to troll English posters, so I'm not going to respond to the actual point.

Being quiet is pretty dire as well, what sort of crappy live sporting event is quiet? Golf is the obvious answer, but I can't think of any proper sports where the live games are quiet.

Sir Alex

Banned
I know you're trying to troll English posters, so I'm not going to respond to the actual point.

Being quiet is pretty dire as well, what sort of crappy live sporting event is quiet? Golf is the obvious answer, but I can't think of any proper sports where the live games are quiet.
No I am offering another perspective on things. English footballing crowd is documented to be among the worst and I find it amusing when other cultures' enjoyment of the sport is being scoffed at.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No I am offering another perspective on things. English footballing crowd is documented to be among the worst and I find it amusing when other cultures' enjoyment of the sport is being scoffed at.
You're living in cloud ****oo land if you think that English football crowds are the worst. They might have been in the '70s and '80s, but it is so much better now. It's well documented that Turkey, Poland, Italy, Argentina, Mexico, Brazil and other South American countries have far worse problems than England does today.

Sir Alex

Banned
You're living in cloud ****oo land if you think that English football crowds are the worst. They might have been in the '70s and '80s, but it is so much better now. It's well documented that Turkey, Poland, Italy, Argentina, Mexico, Brazil and other South American countries have far worse problems than England does today.
I said among the worst. Yes, they are not alone there, but I don't think it is proper on ignoring own problems and instead look down upon activities of other fans, atleast they are enjoying themselves without bodily or verbally abusing others.

About 3000 English hooligans were asked to surrender their passports ahead of this world cup because they were on the black list of authorities for causing problems at stadia repeatedly. I don't think any other nation had to take such extreme measures.

I appreciate British authorities for that step however. But let's not moralise in this. Pot kettle black.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I said among the worst. Yes, they are not alone there, but I don't think it is proper on ignoring own problems and instead look down upon activities of other fans, atleast they are enjoying themselves without bodily or verbally abusing others.

About 3000 English hooligans were asked to surrender their passports ahead of this world cup because they were on the black list of authorities for causing problems at stadia repeatedly. I don't think any other nation had to take such extreme measures.

I appreciate British authorities for that step however. But let's not moralise in this. Pot kettle black.
Hearing loss is bodily harm.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Erm, you were the one moralising it in the first place with some irrelevant point about a subject that you clearly know next to nothing about.

It's not like the fact that they are annoying is that the only real oppostion people have to them. They drown out potential safety announcements and could potentially cause hearing damage to people in the croud, basically they could potentially be in breach of health and safety regulations. Fine, if you you are a South African football fan that goes to some local match, then you don't really have much of a right to complain, but there are people who have spend £1000s on getting to the WC who had no warning of the noise, who have had the experienced ruined by that infernal drone.

I just don't see why because it's 'traditional' means that it's somehow scared and can't be critisised or banned.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Hearing loss is bodily harm.
C'mon.. stadiums are designed to absorb a big chunk of noise. Acoustics they call it right? Further EPL is known to record above 100 dB sound consistently, and I haven't heard complaints about it. As I said above, it is much less than a Symphony let alone a rock concert. It is irritating no doubt, but it's a part of the package.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Disgraceful. Twatting foreigners is ingrained in English footballing culture. I bitterly resent this Afro-centric attempt to trample on a core value of our own sport that we graciously gave to the rest of the globe.