Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: No world cup would be complete without it....

  1. #16
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,842
    One of them certainly ended in the pool but I think the champions league ball ended after a spectacular Pete volley.

    Indeed we must, although I think our cricket pitch may have gone.

  2. #17
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    One of them certainly ended in the pool but I think the champions league ball ended after a spectacular Pete volley.

    Indeed we must, although I think our cricket pitch may have gone.
    Haha, we can easily make it again. Pretty sure it started to flatten out after we played on it for an hour or two. I played cricket for the first time in ages yesterday, and it showed. Several horrible edges and several horrible bruises to show for it.

  3. #18
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,257
    Seemed to behave itself pretty well in the first coupla games, anyway.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  4. #19
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,916
    Didn't notice that they were using a ball in that second game tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.


  5. #20
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,124
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Didn't notice that they were using a ball in that second game tbh
    Would like to kick you in the balls tbh.

  6. #21
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Capitalism. The 'World Cup Ball™' sells.
    So introduce it a month after the last WC is over. That way teams have four years to get used to it. Whining or not, isn't it completely legitimate to complain that the most important piece of equipment on the field changes right before the most important event of many of these players lives?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #22
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    I dunno about other countries, but the Bundesliga used the ball all season and the Danish teams had the opportunity. I think Nike make the Premiership balls here, so they wouldn't be able to bring them in in England.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    So introduce it a month after the last WC is over. That way teams have four years to get used to it. Whining or not, isn't it completely legitimate to complain that the most important piece of equipment on the field changes right before the most important event of many of these players lives?
    When I over-hit a cross, I don't blame it on the ball, I blame it on the fact I'm ****.

    Suggest the players start doing the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  9. #24
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,895
    I'm not saying it's a valid excuse as all teams have the same ball - but the fact is why change something so fundamental to something players are not used to? Surely that has an effect on the overall quality of play?

    Even the most minor of changes would have big ramifications at this level.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'm not saying it's a valid excuse as all teams have the same ball - but the fact is why change something so fundamental to something players are not used to? Surely that has an effect on the overall quality of play?

    Even the most minor of changes would have big ramifications at this level.
    Each league has different ball rights with people like Nike/Mitre/Adidas/Puma and so on. So the guys in the Premiership play with a different ball to the guys in Spain/Germany/Italy and so on. Need a World Cup ball precisely so they do have the same ball and a level playing field.

  11. #26
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'm not saying it's a valid excuse as all teams have the same ball - but the fact is why change something so fundamental to something players are not used to? Surely that has an effect on the overall quality of play?

    Even the most minor of changes would have big ramifications at this level.
    Its not like they were all playing with the same ball before the world cup, though. The tournament needs a standard ball, and they have to adapt no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  12. #27
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Each league has different ball rights with people like Nike/Mitre/Adidas/Puma and so on. So the guys in the Premiership play with a different ball to the guys in Spain/Germany/Italy and so on. Need a World Cup ball precisely so they do have the same ball and a level playing field.
    Not only that, but the Jabulani has been used at the FIFA World Club Cup, the African Cup of Nations, has been available to use in the Bundesliga (which doesn't have a matchball sponsor, so Adidas sponsored teams have had the option of using it in home games), the MLS, Argentinian Clausura and the latter stages of the Scottish Cup.

    It's not like the ball has been brought in cold, it's been used reasonably extensively throughout the last 6 months.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,589
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Not only that, but the Jabulani has been used at the FIFA World Club Cup, the African Cup of Nations, has been available to use in the Bundesliga (which doesn't have a matchball sponsor, so Adidas sponsored teams have had the option of using it in home games), the MLS, Argentinian Clausura and the latter stages of the Scottish Cup.

    It's not like the ball has been brought in cold, it's been used reasonably extensively throughout the last 6 months.
    Has it been used at altitude?

    Sorry, I've lived through all these nonsense ball-scare stories, but this time it doesn't seem to be bull****. Most forward balls are being over-hit, almost all free-kicks seem to be blasted over the bar, and the ball seems very hard to control. Some dipping when it's hit low, too, but I don't mind that. Keepers should be able to handle that if their technique is good.

    Maybe the players will adjust as the tourney goes on, but so far there's been about two good goals, everything else seems basic mistakes or set pieces.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  14. #29
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,245
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Has it been used at altitude?

    Sorry, I've lived through all these nonsense ball-scare stories, but this time it doesn't seem to be bull****. Most forward balls are being over-hit, almost all free-kicks seem to be blasted over the bar, and the ball seems very hard to control. Some dipping when it's hit low, too, but I don't mind that. Keepers should be able to handle that if their technique is good.

    Maybe the players will adjust as the tourney goes on, but so far there's been about two good goals, everything else seems basic mistakes or set pieces.
    Not sure how high grounds are in the US or Argentina.

    If there's a problem then it's more down to altitude than the ball. There will be less resistance so the ball will travel through the air further and bounce higher - that would be an issue even if you used the Nike balls that are used in the Premiership or La Liga, or even the Adidas Finale ball used in the Champions League.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,589
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Not sure how high grounds are in the US or Argentina.

    If there's a problem then it's more down to altitude than the ball. There will be less resistance so the ball will travel through the air further and bounce higher - that would be an issue even if you used the Nike balls that are used in the Premiership or La Liga, or even the Adidas Finale ball used in the Champions League.

    Well yes, but they knew it was going to be played at altitude, so why did they use these beach balls, maybe even have ones that would fly less?

    Just silly IMHO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best World Cup 2010 Promos
    By silentstriker in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •