• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iconic World Cup moments in your lifetime

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point of all the biomechanical studies when you just need a non-blind man with a video of the incident to tell you it shouldn't have been a goal?

Germany's equaliser was offside anyway, so it should never have got to that stage in the first place.
Plus the free kick that led to it should never have been given. Anyway, justice was done.

Back to the thread, Moore & Pele after the 1970 group game.

Pele weeping after the 1958 win.

Zidane walking past the trophy after being sent off in 2006.

From a purely English pov, Moore holding the trophy in 1966.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well before my life started, but just been watching highlights of Italy vs Chile 1962. FMD, some of the most disgusting tackles I've ever seen.
Yeah, the 'Battle of Santiago' is a legendary scrap. If you can find any footage, the 'Battle of Bern' between Brazil & Hungary in 1954 was also really unpleasant.

On a happier note, you've reminded me of a different Italian moment which I forgot to include earlier, namely Tardelli's celebration after scoring in the 1982 final.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is he one of those NRL players that, if he's any good, will be playing AFL in a few years?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As, I've always and rather boringly said, the Belgian goal was beteer, because the defence didn't include Terry "****ing" Fenwick.
Ah yes. Those of us following Crystal Palace never quite understood how our reserve right back to Paul Hinshelwood circa 1980 ended up in central defence for his country six years later.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah yes. Those of us following Crystal Palace never quite understood how our reserve right back to Paul Hinshelwood circa 1980 ended up in central defence for his country six years later.
:laugh: So it was you who wrote this in his Wikipedia page then?

"He holds the English record for most yellow cards, three, in a single World Cup tournament, which he achieved in the 1986 FIFA World Cup. During that World Cup, Fenwick was also noted for being passed by Diego Maradona as Maradona scored the "Goal of the Century". There's some conjecture that Fenwicks slide tackle touched the ball last and therefore should be credited with the goal instead of Maradona. He was also known for being totally pony."

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: So it was you who wrote this in his Wikipedia page then?

"He holds the English record for most yellow cards, three, in a single World Cup tournament, which he achieved in the 1986 FIFA World Cup. During that World Cup, Fenwick was also noted for being passed by Diego Maradona as Maradona scored the "Goal of the Century". There's some conjecture that Fenwicks slide tackle touched the ball last and therefore should be credited with the goal instead of Maradona. He was also known for being totally pony."
:laugh:

Actually I've argued the own-goal instead of goal of the century to Maradonna more than once, but I thought it was Terry Butcher making the last ditch attempt at a slide tackle.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was a dive too tbf. The two aren't mutually exclusive. IMO, anyway.
He played for the contact, there's a difference.

Was a ridiculous challenge to make, no matter how easily Grosso went down, throwing yourself into a challenge like that is asking for trouble.