Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup - educate me!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Brazil baby!
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    So I'm going to have free time this summer and I'll try watching the event. What teams are the most exciting to watch generally?
    It might help if I compare some of the main players to their cricketing equivalents. Any offence caused is entirely deliberate...

Brazil are like The West Indies from 1975-1996 - i.e. back when they were good. For Calypso Cricket read Samba Soccer; like the Windies the Brazilians play with a style and a rhythm all of their own. Beautiful to watch but they can seriously **** you over too. Everyone's second favourite team.

Germany are like Australia - Traditional rivals of the English with the rivalry more keenly felt on the English side. Have generally had the better of things v the poms/Englanders (for Australia from 1989-2005 read Germany from 1966-2000) but have suffered a few losses to Albion of late. Don't have the greatest team in their proud history currently but only a fool would write them off.

The Netherlands are like Pakistan - Produce as many or more lavishly talented players as anyone else, but seem to spend almost as much time fighting themselves as the opposition. Pioneered revolutionary techniques (total football and reverse swing) much copied but other countries, but seldom equalled. Their best team in their histories (for Pakistan in the 1980s see Holland in the 1970s) couldn't quite become the best in the world.

Portugal are like Sri Lanka - A talented side but the size of their home nation means they'll probably always face an uphill struggle to become #1. Both almost certainly have a player called Da Silva somewhere in their squad. Their star performers talented but divisive figures who spent many years playing their home games at Old Trafford.

Spain are like India - The sleeping giants possibly finally awakening. Given the talent at their disposal and the passion for the sport in the country it's amazing it's taken this long to mount a serious challenge to the top spot. If things go tits up now the various regions will all blame each other.

England are like England - Have a long history of underperforming but are slowly being lead back to respectability by wily foreigners after ruinous tenures by hapless native coaches. Have only ever once been briefly the top dogs since WW2 (1966 & 1953) and their star performers are tattooed chavs with daft accents who're under injury clouds currently. Guaranteed to lose gallantly against decent oppostion away from Enlish shores.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Might as well lock the thread now - brilliantly put Brumbers

yep pretty spot on
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It might help if I compare some of the main players to their cricketing equivalents. Any offence caused is entirely deliberate...

Brazil are like The West Indies from 1975-1996 - i.e. back when they were good. For Calypso Cricket read Samba Soccer; like the Windies the Brazilians play with a style and a rhythm all of their own. Beautiful to watch but they can seriously **** you over too. Everyone's second favourite team.

Germany are like Australia - Traditional rivals of the English with the rivalry more keenly felt on the English side. Have generally had the better of things v the poms/Englanders (for Australia from 1989-2005 read Germany from 1966-2000) but have suffered a few losses to Albion of late. Don't have the greatest team in their proud history currently but only a fool would write them off.

The Netherlands are like Pakistan - Produce as many or more lavishly talented players as anyone else, but seem to spend almost as much time fighting themselves as the opposition. Pioneered revolutionary techniques (total football and reverse swing) much copied but other countries, but seldom equalled. Their best team in their histories (for Pakistan in the 1980s see Holland in the 1970s) couldn't quite become the best in the world.

Portugal are like Sri Lanka - A talented side but the size of their home nation means they'll probably always face an uphill struggle to become #1. Both almost certainly have a player called Da Silva somewhere in their squad. Their star performers talented but divisive figures who spent many years playing their home games at Old Trafford.

Spain are like India - The sleeping giants possibly finally awakening. Given the talent at their disposal and the passion for the sport in the country it's amazing it's taken this long to mount a serious challenge to the top spot. If things go tits up now the various regions will all blame each other.

England are like England - Have a long history of underperforming but are slowly being lead back to respectability by wily foreigners after ruinous tenures by hapless native coaches. Have only ever once been briefly the top dogs since WW2 (1966 & 1953) and their star performers are tattooed chavs with daft accents who're under injury clouds currently. Guaranteed to lose gallantly against decent oppostion away from Enlish shores.
    Spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Brazil won in South Korea in 2002, right? I can't really watch without picking a side. Obviously rooting for the US in the games they play (poms going down first up ), but have to pick other teams too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Brazil won in South Korea in 2002, right? I can't really watch without picking a side. Obviously rooting for the US in the games they play (poms going down first up ), but have to pick other teams too.
    You cant have a 2nd team until the US goes out, no?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

haha...great write up Brumby.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Lol Brumby.

The least accurate comparison was England being England IMO. The England football team is more like the England cricket team's evil twin.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    You cant have a 2nd team until the US goes out, no?
    Well when I'm watching games not involving the US.

Shakira's in on it:

YouTube - WAKA WAKA - This Time for Africa - by Shakira - South Africa 2010 World Cup Official Song

"When you fall get up, oh oh"

From what little I know about soccer, isn't it usually the other way around?

Is there a good place where I can find the overview of tournament rules? Like how many teams advance, how the points work, when they carry over, overtime type rules, etc?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    8 groups of 4, all play all once. 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw.

Top 2 go through to the last 16 then straight knock out.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Is there a good place where I can find the overview of tournament rules? Like how many teams advance, how the points work, when they carry over, overtime type rules, etc?
    What do you need to know?

To answer your questions:

2 teams advance from each group;

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw;

none carry over, all rounds after group stage are straight knock-out;

in the group stage if teams are level after 90 minutes each get a point, thereafter they will play 30 mins of extra time (15 minutes each way) and if the tie isn't broken penalty kicks will decide. Each team gets 5 penalties and if they're still level it moves to sudden death where the first team to score when the opposition fails to advances.

I couldn't think where else to put this - it's some footage from the first ever WC final in 1930.

YouTube - URUGUAY - ARGENTINA FINAL WORLD CUP 1930
    Last edited by wpdavid; 02-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information