• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the World Cup stars

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What better way to begin the countdown to the biggest sporting event in the world than in the time-honoured CW fashion of a battle to determine who's officially the top boy world cup-wise? :cool:

I'll impose a limit of 8 proposals (nominations or seconds) each initially, but this might go up if there's only limited uptake. Once a player has received a nomimation and been seconded they're in. Dependent on CW enthusiasm 32, 48 or 64 players seems the most likely number needed before battle is joined.

Only stipulation is that the player must've played in the world cup finals proper, so no Best, Cantona or Di Stefano, for instance.

So simple a T*ttenham fan could understand.

Happy nominating. :)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lucas Neill
Mateja Kezman
Arjen Robben
Tim Cahill
Phillip Cocu
Mark Van Bommel

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Need some Brazilians

Garrincha
Jairzinho
Carlos Alberto
Ronaldo

Oh and that Pele fellow.

cpr

International Coach
Methinks a Cruyff, Thin Maradona, Beckenbaur, Schmeichel all need a mention. I'll resist from putting Denis Irwin forward

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So simple a T*ttenham fan could understand.
**** off.

Other than that, interesting thread.

I'll nominate Hristo Stoichkov for that amazing run that Bulgaria had in, I think 1994. Also Roberto Baggio (for that miss). Enzo Scifo and Georgi Hagi. Maybe Saeed el Owaiaran (sic.) and that Jose Luis Chilavert fella.

I'll second Roger Milla.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I honestly don't get this. :p

Zidane
Oliver Khan
Andres Escobar
Salvatore Schillaci

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Second or nom:

Cruyff
Bergkamp
Romario
Eusebio
Archie Gemmill of course
Neeskens
Cocu
Roger Milla

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nomiante:

John Aldridge (best WC moment ever)
Alan Ball
Roger Hunt

Second:

Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp !!!!!
Gary Lineker
Bobby Moore
Geoff Hurst

Was gonna nominate Roger Milla but he apepars to already have quite the following