• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the World Cup stars

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmm. minus for gary, why? admittedly the blighty lot has been too much, but hasn't the subsequent voting been somewhat childish against. anyway old chaps lets play the game, what ho?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's be honest here, you're on a cricket forum, of course English players will nominate most.

And of course, the rest won't like it.

Gonna work both ways

HeathDavisSpeed

Nah, there should definitely be a number of Poms in there - iconic moments from Gazza, great scoring feats from Linekar & Hurst. Not too sure why David Platt or Nobby Stiles should be in there though. John Barnes at least did that Englandneworder rap to create his own iconic world cup moment. Nearly voted for Linekar myself in this one, to be honest.

grecian

Nah, there should definitely be a number of Poms in there - iconic moments from Gazza, great scoring feats from Linekar & Hurst. Not too sure why David Platt or Nobby Stiles should be in there though. John Barnes at least did that Englandneworder rap to create his own iconic world cup moment. Nearly voted for Linekar myself in this one, to be honest.

Umm , you nommed gazza, Platt was the greatest single moment of our generation. The rest was rushing through noms, tbh.

All English Noms more credibility then Lucas ****ing Neill though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Umm , you nommed gazza, Platt was the greatest single moment of our generation. The rest was rushing through noms, tbh.

All English Noms more credibility then Lucas ****ing Neill though.
I know, and I said that he deserves to be there!

Agreed about Lucas Neill though... But hey, at least this is creating debate.

Hoping that next time this is run, then maybe a Kiwi will deserve get nominated despite having none nothing particularly noteworthy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep, Jairzinho and Baggio for me too.

Baggio and Romario were my two favourite players growing up, doubt I'll vote against them.

Steulen

International Regular
Jairzinho, Baggio.

Not an out-and-out anti-England vote this time, just voting for the two best players in the battles. Tough on Lineker, though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jairzinho and a mercy vote for Grosso. Selling him short with yer description Vimes, completely forgetting his semi-final winner. And subsequent celebration. Grasping victory from the jaws of penalties-against-Germany.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Two more Englishmen fall by the wayside; Jairzinho & Baggio advance.

Head-to-heads from here on in.

Next up two civil wars:

Battle Five

Leonardo (Brazil)
World Cups: 2 (1994, 1998)
World Cup Apperances: 11
World Cup Goals: 0
Best Performance: Winner in 1994
Noteable for: That elbow that broke Tab Ramos's skull

v

Pele (Brazil)
World Cups: 4 (1958, 1962, 1966, 1970)
Apps: 14
Goals: 12
Best: Winner in 1958, 1962 & 1970.
Noteable for: Possessing 3 winners medals and being the most complete footballer ever.

Battle Six

Lilian Thuram (France)
World Cups: 3 (1998, 2002, 2006)
Apps: 16
Goals: 2
Best: Winner in 1998
Noteable for: Scoring the only 2 goals of a 142 game international career in the 98 semi versus Croatia

V

Just Fontaine (France)
World Cups: 1 (1958)
Apps: 6
Goals: 13
Best: Semi-Finalist in 1958
Noteable for: Freakish scoring in 1958 & setting a record unlikely to ever be beaten for goals in a single tournament.