• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the World Cup stars

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gazza's been written into World Cup folklore so I can understand voting for him on the basis of his legendary status. But I've always found the tears nothing other than horribly cringeworthy. Just like the man.

And Kahn was superhuman in 2002. Have never, ever seen any keeper perform as well as he did during that tournament.
Nazio didn't pay £6.7m for a bloke who just liked a blub. Doesn't sound much nowadays, but for context Shearer was bought for less than half that a year later.

Gascoigne clearly always had problems, but he was an amzing footballer and 90 was his zenith.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gazza's been written into World Cup folklore so I can understand voting for him on the basis of his legendary status. But I've always found the tears nothing other than horribly cringeworthy. Just like the man.

Hilarious stuff, he was sublime up to the tears which was a major minus point for me. Wuss. Yet he played with brilliant technique, and drive, totally unparalleled by any England player that I've ever seen. He is a pathetic human-being which is why he largely wasted that talent afterwards, but he still scored some incredible goals. The spuds-Forest Cup Final, a real disaster for English football, TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gazza joins the Banks of England as Albion representatives in round 2, but the fat drug-abusing serial cheater ousts Big Jack.

Next up for your pleasure and consideration:

Battle Seventeen

Marco Tardelli (Italy)
World Cups: 2 (1978, 1982)
World Cup Apperances: 13
World Cup Goals: 2
Best Performance: Winner in 1982
Noteable for: His glorious, bug-eyed, fists-clenched, running, screaming goal celeb after scoring the second goal in the final.

v

Ferenc Puskas (Hungary/Spain)
World Cups: 2 (1954, 1962)
Apps: 6
Goals: 4
Best: Runner-Up in 1954
Noteable for: Being the most magnificent of the Magyars who lost to West Germany in the final of 1954 after defeating them 8-3 earlier.

Battle Eighteen

Hriston Stoichkov (Bulgaria)
World Cups: 2 (1994, 1998)
Apps: 10
Goals: 6
Best: Semi-Finalist in 1994
Noteable for: Scoring six goals during Bulgaria's run to the 1994 semi-finals including the equaliser in their hilarious 2-1 win over the Germans in the quarters.

V

Garrincha (Brazil)
World Cups: 3 (1958, 1962, 1966)
Apps: 12
Goals: 5
Best: Winner in 1958 & 1962.
Noteable for: Being arguably the best dribbler to ever grace the highest stage and inspiring Brazil to the 62 title in Pele's absence.

grecian

Well I only nommed Tardelli for the celebration, but he's not in Puskas league as a player.

Garrincha

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he still scored some incredible goals.
Not in World Cups :p.

But yeah, I don't doubt his ability as a player. It's just that I don't have a lot of time for the player whose quality took his side past Belgium and Cameroon in his only World Cup before he burst pathetically into tears in the semi. I don't think he ever achieved anything.

HeathDavisSpeed

Puskas & Stoichkov.

A sympathy vote for Hristo. Yes, he was a little bit of a nob, but he dragged a team that should have been knocked out in the group stages through to the semis; without the help of dubious refereeing (South Korea, yes, I'm looking at you.)

grecian

Not in World Cups :p.

But yeah, I don't doubt his ability as a player. It's just that I don't have a lot of time for the player whose quality took his side past Belgium and Cameroon in his only World Cup before he burst pathetically into tears in the semi. I don't think he ever achieved anything.
Whilst Khan took the Hun past Paraguay, the Yanks and the Koreans........

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Galloping Major and The Little Bird advance.

Next up before the jury:

Battle Nineteen

Alan Ball (England)
World Cups: 2 (1966, 1970)
World Cup Apperances: 7
World Cup Goals: 0
Best Performance: Winner in 1966
Noteable for: Being the youngest of the boys of 66 and being possessed of red hair and superhuman stamina.

v

Miroslav Klose (Germany)
World Cups: 2 (2002, 2006)
Apps: 14
Goals: 10
Best: Runner-Up in 2002
Noteable for: Being Germany's most reliable source of goals in the last two tournaments and overall top scorer in 2006.

Battle Twenty

Romario (Brazil)
World Cups: 2 (1990, 1994)
Apps: 8
Best: Winner in 1994
Noteable for: Scoring the goals that took Brazil all the way in 1994 and marking each with the much-mimicked "rocking the cradle" celeb.

V

Roger Milla (Cameroon)
World Cups: 3 (1982, 1990, 1994)
Apps: 10
Best: Quarter-Finalist in 1990.
Noteable for: Being, at 38 in 1990, the greatest world cup impact sub ever, celebrating each goal with a dance around the corner flag & becoming, at 42 in 1994, the oldest ever goalscorer.