• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is World Cup Soccer the best Sporting Event ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I believe it FIFA World Cup is the best Sporting event of all those similar events like Olympics, Cricket WC, Hockey World Cup etc. IMO it is also one of the best organized and and perhaps had the best format, Qualifying process etc.

What do you all think?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? The Superbowl?

I'm sure it's a great show and all, but the majority of the world doesn't care.
Doesn't it break worldwide records for most watched event ever every year?

See where you're coming from though. The Superbowl incorporates a couple of American cities, the World Cup incorporates 32 countries from 6 continents.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
#1 or 2 for me. Between it and the Superbowl.
Superbowl maybe should be compared to World Cup Finals, But IMO No way a Superbowl comes anywhere close to the entire tournament plus it is an yearly event.

99*

International Debutant
Really? The Superbowl?

I'm sure it's a great show and all, but the majority of the world doesn't care.
Stops an entire country for a full day, you could drop a nuke on Canada and they wouldn't notice. And iirc the last one broke the record for most watched show on television around the world.

I'm just not sure tbh. The Football world cup is a great event, and as a whole is a better watch than the NFL playoffs. But if I'm just judging on the Suberbowl and the Final of the WC. I have to go with the Superbowl.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

See where you're coming from though. The Superbowl incorporates a couple of American cities, the World Cup incorporates 32 countries from 6 continents.
Well not only 32 countries, Soccer World Cup is one event which IMO is followed in every country in the world.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

According to this it was beaten by the Champions League last year for the first time. I think it's coz everyone wants to see Man U lose:)

To be honest though the Superbowl figures are about two thirds from one country, whilst it's spread massively with the Champions League.

Anyway, in answer to the question, by far my favourite really. I love cricket but ODIs are a bit meh, and the Olympics is mainly filled with Sports I couldn't give a monkeys about.

ripper868

International Coach
Meh, The Melbourne Cup stops a nation, the Superbowl just stops people who want their yearly fix of NFL.

Soccer :ph34r: World Cup biggest event, Olympics Second, Rugby World Cup Third.

Far as best IMO...Rugby World Cup...slightly oneyed though.

World Cup is pretty much the only time I'll watch soccer, or make an effort to watch it (will happily get up to watch the Socceroos beat England in the quarters).

Uppercut

:laugh: The Olympics.

For someone so utterly obsessed with so many different sports, it's remarkable how crap I consider the whole thing to be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Superbowl is pretty gun imo. But yeah, nothing compares to the Football World Cup, probably my favourite event of any sort, sporting or otherwise.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah by far my favourite sporting event despite the fact I comfortably prefer cricket to football. Love that is is only 4 years which means desptie the constant amounts of hyped Football that we get every year it still so special.

Burgey

Football WC for mine, then Olympics, then daylight then anything but the RWC (soz Ripper)..

Xuhaib

International Coach
A competitive test match is the best sporting event for me then Football WC followed by Wimbeldon.

Olympics is the biggest pile of junk the only think I care for are the track and field events.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, the World Cup. For one John Barnes related reason and another I find myself less in love with football than is usual this season, but come the summer I'll be watching every single match. Nothing compares to it. When the European Championships are on I struggle to care about any match not involving England but when the WC is on, there is nothing I won't watch.

As for the 'stopping a whole nation' argument RE the Superbowl - step into the street in England during any England WC match and see how many people are out there.

ripper868

International Coach
Football WC for mine, then Olympics, then daylight then anything but the RWC (soz Ripper)..
:(...you can keep your League play for whatever country your 3 times removed best mates uncle visited while on a cruise once world cup.

Embargo

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
To me FIFA WC is always the biggest sporting event nothing comes close to it. Even Euro Cup is up their in the top events.

Last edited: