Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is World Cup Soccer the best Sporting Event ?

Easily the Olympics, then The Ashes (I realise billions would disagree), then the FIFA World Cup.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Fave minnow moment was clearly in '82, and ultimately it gave us a reason to dislike the hun even more, bliss....
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fair points. Even the Italians last time (the worst winners I can remember) are still Italy &, fittingly, their success was based on their defence. & the German team who made the final in 2002 were but a pale imitation of the ruthless, efficient, etc German teams of yore, but they still made the final.

Love the minnows too; one of my favourite ever sporting moments was Cameroon beating the then champions, the bastard Argentines, 1-0 in the 1990 opener. Grown men wept tears of joy openly in the street.

****s still made the final tho, but.
    I remember similar emotions in my neck of the woods. Mind you, I saw a few clips from the game the other day, and some of the Cameroon, er, tackling was somewhere beyond brutal. Somehow it escaped my notice at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Fave minnow moment was clearly in '82, and ultimately it gave us a reason to dislike the hun even more, bliss....
    All true.
    Possibly my favourite WC fwiw. Well, once we'd reached the point where the bosh didn't actually win the bloody thing.

Banned
    Oympics a better event than soccer WC for me.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Olympics comfortably for mine.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

R_D
    Yeah Soccer world cup..... can't wait... hopefully most of my exams will be finished by the time the world cup starts.

U19 12th Man
    People only watch the Superbowl for a bit of tit during half time.

Still prefer the Summer Olympics. While football might be the world sport the Olmypics still gets way more coverage in North America, Japan, China, India and Australia. Hmmm, more than half the world.

Only places where the World Cup really dominates the Olympics is South America, South-East Asia and Africa.

Also there so many sports at the Olympics. Some people like the swimming but might hate athletics, some might cycling but not weight lifting etc. Plus theres the opening and closing ceremonies.

U19 12th Man

Still prefer the Summer Olympics. While football might be the world sport the Olmypics still gets way more coverage in North America, Japan, China, India and Australia. Hmmm, more than half the world.

Only places where the World Cup really dominates the Olympics is South America, South-East Asia and Africa. World Cup is probably more popular than the Olympics in Europe but not by a huge margin.

Also there so many sports at the Olympics. Some people like the swimming but might hate athletics, some might cycling but not weight lifting etc. Plus theres the opening and closing ceremonies.

Cricket Spectator
    I would say it's a close match between Summer Olympics and the Soccer World Cup. Both events are watched all over the world and there's also big interest in South America or Africa. The Super Bowl is really big in the USA and also gains popularity in Europe but the worldwide interest is not so big. My favorite event is the Soccer World Cup, I just love the style of the event. The soccer World Cup has just more international importance to me since the best teams of the world are participating and not only US teams like in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by Furball; 26-05-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: no advertising links

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post

Only places where the World Cup really dominates the Olympics is South America, South-East Asia and Africa.

Notice how those countries haven't been or still aren't real competitors for the WC title? I won't say that's the only reason why they don't care as much but certainly a reason. Take, for example, last WC where Australia did well; people were glued to the event like no other sporting spectacle before. Our boys were doing us proud and we loved them for trying their hearts out.

As for the thread; when I was a kid I used to hold the Olympics in equal sway with the WC but now it's not even close. When you're a kid for some reason every school tries to push you into getting interested in the Olympics.
    Last edited by Ikki; 29-05-2010 at 03:04 AM.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    It dominates Europe too. When England play in the World Cup the entire country shuts down. No one gives a monkey's when an Englishman's involved in the Olympics, beyond reading about it in the paper the next morning. Same applies to France and Spain, and I suspect most other European countries too.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    You underplay just how much we get on the bandwagon for any Olympic champions but your general point is correct. World Cup dominates like nothing else here. If we went to war during the WC it probably wouldn't make the front page!
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    You underplay just how much we get on the bandwagon for any Olympic champions but your general point is correct. World Cup dominates like nothing else here. If we went to war during the WC it probably wouldn't make the front page!
    Fair call, but, happy as we are to win gold in the yngling (sp?) or the kirin (sp? again), no-one ever really watches us doing it.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, that's where his newspaper shout is definitely true. But everyone tuned in for Kelly Holmes in 2004, or at least claims they did (I watched the 800 but not the 1500 IIRC)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information