• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is World Cup Soccer the best Sporting Event ?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: The Olympics.

For someone so utterly obsessed with so many different sports, it's remarkable how crap I consider the whole thing to be.
This.

As to the original question, I find it pretty subjective. It's the most exciting event for me personally so that's all I can really say for sure. (whilst I don't care one iota for the Superbowl)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The more I think about it the more I think the answer to the opening question is an unqualified "Yes".

pasag

RTDAS
:laugh: The Olympics.

For someone so utterly obsessed with so many different sports, it's remarkable how crap I consider the whole thing to be.
Love the Olympics, get sucked in every time.

Re: thread, Fifa WC has too much soccer in it to be the world's best sporting event.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
European Championships > World Cup.

UEFA should just invite Argentina and Brazil and kill off FIFA's needless "spectacle" of football.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, there's nothing to compare with it IMO. Already counting the days til it starts - being in Germany for it last time around remains one of my great life experiences.

Quaggas

State Captain
The Superbowl is pretty gun imo. But yeah, nothing compares to the Football World Cup, probably my favourite event of any sort, sporting or otherwise.
Problem with the Superbowl is that it's generally a bit one-sided, making for a dull game. The hoopla and ads can be fun, though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In theory yes.
In practice, there's been too many duff tournaments in the last 20 years for me to be sure anymore. Arguably the European Championships have been better.

Certainly beats the Olympics though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh to the Euro championships, yeah arguably the quality of football is higher, but without Brazil (yay) and the Argies (boo in a Pantomime way), they just ain't the same. Also the minnows often add massivelys to the spectacle, and make the sublime moments.

World Cup has the meaning too, and so far no joke winners. Greece, Denmark in recent times, and back in the history I don't think the best teams in Europe have always won. Not that they do in the World Cup, but at least the winners have pedigree.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh to the Euro championships, yeah arguably the quality of football is higher, but without Brazil (yay) and the Argies (boo in a Pantomime way), they just ain't the same. Also the minnows often add massivelys to the spectacle, and make the sublime moments.

World Cup has the meaning too, and so far no joke winners. Greece, Denmark in recent times, and back in the history I don't think the best teams in Europe have always won. Not that they do in the World Cup, but at least the winners have pedigree.
Fair points. Even the Italians last time (the worst winners I can remember) are still Italy &, fittingly, their success was based on their defence. & the German team who made the final in 2002 were but a pale imitation of the ruthless, efficient, etc German teams of yore, but they still made the final.

Love the minnows too; one of my favourite ever sporting moments was Cameroon beating the then champions, the bastard Argentines, 1-0 in the 1990 opener. Grown men wept tears of joy openly in the street.

****s still made the final tho, but.

andmark

International Captain
Easily the Olympics, then The Ashes (I realise billions would disagree), then the FIFA World Cup.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fave minnow moment was clearly in '82, and ultimately it gave us a reason to dislike the hun even more, bliss....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fair points. Even the Italians last time (the worst winners I can remember) are still Italy &, fittingly, their success was based on their defence. & the German team who made the final in 2002 were but a pale imitation of the ruthless, efficient, etc German teams of yore, but they still made the final.

Love the minnows too; one of my favourite ever sporting moments was Cameroon beating the then champions, the bastard Argentines, 1-0 in the 1990 opener. Grown men wept tears of joy openly in the street.

****s still made the final tho, but.
I remember similar emotions in my neck of the woods. Mind you, I saw a few clips from the game the other day, and some of the Cameroon, er, tackling was somewhere beyond brutal. Somehow it escaped my notice at the time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fave minnow moment was clearly in '82, and ultimately it gave us a reason to dislike the hun even more, bliss....
All true.
Possibly my favourite WC fwiw. Well, once we'd reached the point where the bosh didn't actually win the bloody thing.

R_D

International Debutant
Yeah Soccer world cup..... can't wait... hopefully most of my exams will be finished by the time the world cup starts.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
People only watch the Superbowl for a bit of tit during half time.

Still prefer the Summer Olympics. While football might be the world sport the Olmypics still gets way more coverage in North America, Japan, China, India and Australia. Hmmm, more than half the world.

Only places where the World Cup really dominates the Olympics is South America, South-East Asia and Africa.

Also there so many sports at the Olympics. Some people like the swimming but might hate athletics, some might cycling but not weight lifting etc. Plus theres the opening and closing ceremonies.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
People only watch the Superbowl for a bit of tit during half time.

Still prefer the Summer Olympics. While football might be the world sport the Olmypics still gets way more coverage in North America, Japan, China, India and Australia. Hmmm, more than half the world.

Only places where the World Cup really dominates the Olympics is South America, South-East Asia and Africa. World Cup is probably more popular than the Olympics in Europe but not by a huge margin.

Also there so many sports at the Olympics. Some people like the swimming but might hate athletics, some might cycling but not weight lifting etc. Plus theres the opening and closing ceremonies.

dacostg

Cricket Spectator
I would say it's a close match between Summer Olympics and the Soccer World Cup. Both events are watched all over the world and there's also big interest in South America or Africa. The Super Bowl is really big in the USA and also gains popularity in Europe but the worldwide interest is not so big. My favorite event is the Soccer World Cup, I just love the style of the event. The soccer World Cup has just more international importance to me since the best teams of the world are participating and not only US teams like in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator: