• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group H - Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Chile came 2nd in South America if I am not wrong. Will be a big upset if they are out. They have the potential to defeat some of the top teams.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gotta say, as much as I admire the Swiss and their no-nonsense approach, this is the first time when there's been something riding on both games that I haven't gone channel hopping. Just don't want to actually watch them.

Quite like watching a team like Switzerland against teams like Chile & Spain though, usually makes for interesting viewing

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We had a situation in the 08-09 season where one of our players who was on a yellow (Steve Jennings, you might know him as he plays for Motherwell now) committed a fairly bad foul, ref played advantage and we all expected a red (i.e second yellow) once the ball went out, to no avail. mentioned it in the footy thread and Mr Pickup informed me that you can't play advantage on any red, ever.

I don't profess to be an expert and it would be a pedantic ref to stop that goal, just wondering aloud and getting up to no good tbh
Not true. Advantage is left to the discretion of the referee. The way I understand the rules is that a straigth red should have the game stopped but even then advantage should be played if there is a goal scoring opportunity.

My understanding and interpretation is that a red from a 2nd yellow doesnt have to ever be stopped.

The ref can play advantage and still send a player off. It is their decision.

I could be wrong (though Im opretty confident), but no where in the rules does it say a player cannot be sent off if advantage has been played.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Chile, played so well first 20 minutes before rather losing it with their, shall we say, slight over-enthusiasm. They are still great though.

Glad Switzerland are gone although it would have been interesting to watch Brazil try and play through them, think they might have struggled.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Eurgh, hate the Spanish team so much. Love Chile though, they are probably the best team to watch in the tournament so far IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
How dire was the last 10 minutes of the Spain - Chile match? Reminded me of a Simpsons quote:

Kent Brockman: [bored] Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it.
[sighs]
Kent Brockman: Holds it.
Foreign-accented sports commentator: [excited] Halfback passes to center, back to wing, back to center, center holds it! Holds it! Holds It!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why are people thoroughly enjoying Spain's loss? They play attractive football so it's not like the Italy hate.

The world football community confuses me.
The English love it when an underdog gets up.
What Matteh said, love seeing the big dogs get knocked down as well, obviously as an England fan you could argue that includes us but I love seeing hyped teams getting beaten. Loved it when Barca lost against Inter FFS.
Took far too much happiness in Germany beating Australia for that to be really true.
Nah, rivalries always transcend things like that.

Put it this way, I'd love to see one of the non-big four sides take out the Prem, except for Everton or Bolton as that would be so so hideous

I like seeing the big teams fall but watching the Aussies fail>>>>anything :cool:
Just bringing it up because I don't think you guys check the tennis thread much, but the fans at Wimbledon have pretty much favoured the major favourites in almost every match.

Don't buy this Brit love for the underdog. Personally think it's just an excuse for you Brits to hate on European football teams :ph34r: