• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Asking this seriously rather than trolling, but why are the football team the only major sporting guys that didn't get the message that New Zealand are the 'All-Blacks'?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would assume that it's got something to do with Black not being allowed as a full kit colour (because of clashes with the referee) up until a few years ago.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I would assume that it's got something to do with Black not being allowed as a full kit colour (because of clashes with the referee) up until a few years ago.
Yep, that's pretty much it. It's now our alternate strip.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All Black kit one of the great ones of world sport imho.

And as I understand it they still haven't sullied it with mass sponsor logos on the front. FMD, the Aussie Cricket, Union and League teams look horrible. Never know if I live in a country called XXXX (I wish!); vodafone; Qantas or 3 Mobile.

Horrendous. Cheapens the shirt massively imo.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The only sponsors we've ever had on the jersey is a Steinlager logo on the right breast in the late 1980s-mid 1990s, and the jersey maker's logo on the left breast which, as Burgey said, in this modern commercially-driven sporting world, is awesome.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While not wishing to defend soccer as a sport in any way - that looked like a cramp not a dive.
Aye, same thing's happened to me once playing basketball. Looked around furiously to see who had randomly decided to trip me up and there was nobody there.

More to the point, COME ON YOU KIWIS.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While not wishing to defend soccer as a sport in any way - that looked like a cramp not a dive.
Incredible recovery in that case. And cramp and diving seem to both require a little flick of the heels and throwing the head back. If it was cramp then I stand corrected, to me it looked like the defender may have come within touching distance of his heel and he decided to go down like a shot Yak.

Agree with others though who said - C'MON NZ!

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Actually quite excited about this game, this kind of match-up is a big part of what makes the early stages of a world Cup so interesting. Hopefully both teams will decide that they have to grab their one chance to shine with both hands and make an attractive game of it.

Still predicting Slovakia to come out on top, I'm afraid, they can be a good side on their day.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Keeping with the theme; go New Zealand. Hope for an exciting contest with the Kiwi's scraping through.

Meridio

International Regular
Soooo excited/nervous/scared at the moment. This is definitely our best chance to pick up a point, and am desperately hoping we don't clam up. Need to have a good start, otherwise it could all turn to custard.

Vicelich ahead of Christie is an interesting one. I think he's a better player (Christie has the first touch of an elephant), but it leaves us with the same problem in our setup. We're playing a 3-4-3, but in reality it's going to be something like 5-2-3. The two wingers will be playing deep, and with Elliott and Vicelich both playing a defensive midfielder role, there's going to be a massive gap between our defence and strikers. That's going to leave us with the lump-forward-for-Fallon-to-nod-on-to-Smeltz option as our only way to break out of defence.

Have been considering going down to Queen's Wharf to watch it on the big screen there, but it's probably going to be raining, windy and freezing ****ing cold. Also, all the useless swines I asked at work weren't keen. So will probably just site at home and watch.

Anyway: Slovakia, prepare for a thrashing!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah lets push all that trepadation and reality to the side.

Slovakia you are going to get an arse kicking for the ages.

I shall scull a beer for every goal you score. GAGFC

99*

International Debutant
Can't wait, win, lose or draw it will be worth it just to see NZ in the World Cup.