Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Well done Japan, thrilled tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Manager said he was going to bench him a few days ago. Was tactical.
    ****ing idiot.
    Le Guen making a baffling selection decision?

You're kidding me, right?

Wouldn't catch Martin O'Neil doing that.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Why the Euros >>>>> World Cup for me, 2 utterly mediocre sides who have no right calling themselves one of the 32 best teams.
    Ah it's that time of the season again where Europeans claim Euro cup >>>> world cup.
    What have France, England povided in this world cup so far? Boring games?
    Didn't watch the Italian game last night... Knowing the Italians... would've been boring as hell.
    So far Argentina, Germany and the south Africa match have been good to watch.

Tbh the Europeans have ruined football to certain extent with over emphasis on defending and having correct shape n just being too technical.... If I want to watch that ****... I watch it every year.... BPL, La-liga etc etc...
    World cup is the chance to see what teams from other continents provide....love the attackng play of most south Americans and enthusiams of African teams is great.... They may not have the best set of skills but at least they play the game ...The way It's supposed to play... At least for me...

I enjoyed the Germans game and do appreciate the Spanish team... Most other games involving euro teams are pretty boring..... You expect a boring match because both teams are just too scared to attack.

World cup has never been about best 32 teams...
    Last edited by R_D; 14-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Only one European is saying it to be fair.

World cup so so much better than Euros.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Argentina were just as frustrating to watch tbh. Sure Messi appeared every now and again and dribbled past a few, but there was still only one goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    World cup means a lot more, but, TBF, the standard of play has been a fair bit below Euro 08 so far. The Dutch didn't look a patch on the team they had back then.

Of the teams we've seen so far only Jerry looks a potential winner. Although Italy didn't ever really look potential winners last time and still managed it, so impressions can be misleading.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    AwtBrumbers tbh.

It's a professional game though, despite the rank amateur performance of our blokes. And this being the most important tourney there is, it's just all about the result surely?

The big teams surely would rather grind out a 1-0 win every match than lose 4-3? Just the reality of such a big sport I think.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    World cup means a lot more, but, TBF, the standard of play has been a fair bit below Euro 08 so far. The Dutch didn't look a patch on the team they had back then.
    nevertheless, WC 06 > Euro 04. Swings and roundabouts.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

And Euro 2000 >>>> any other finals tournament.

All the best teams playing great attacking football, packed full of a generation of wonderful players at their peaks.

R_D

Of the teams we've seen so far only Jerry looks a potential winner. Although Italy didn't ever really look potential winners last time and still managed it, so impressions can be misleading.
    Agree on the standards but than if I worried about that ... I probably would only be watching champions league beyond group stages.

This world cup is not helped by the fact that alot star players from African teams have been injured just before the world cup.... Having them would only improve the standards..

Euros was won by Greece not so long ago......

The World cup is just better because it is the World cup as far as I am concerned. Regardless of quality (there are arguments to be had both ways on that) the Euros will never be able to match it.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Why the Euros >>>>> World Cup for me, 2 utterly mediocre sides who have no right calling themselves one of the 32 best teams.
    Quality of play, even if true (I have no basis to judge either way) is secondary tbh. Ideally you'd have both but it's the atmosphere and the excitement of teams facing each other from all over the world that means everything. If USA were invited to the European Cup for whatever reason, it wouldn't even make the tuesday night ESPN 2AM newsfeed here, and for good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Italy were really good in their opening game against Ghana last time, I thought. That tournament kicked into action early with a purple patch of great long-range goals then petered out a bit in the knockout stages. Hoping this one does the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Quality of play, even if true (I have no basis to judge either way) is secondary tbh. Ideally you'd have both but it's the atmosphere and the excitement of teams facing each other from all over the world that means everything. If USA were invited to the European Cup for whatever reason, it wouldn't even make the tuesday night ESPN 2AM newsfeed here, and for good reason.
    Nah, it doesn't really work like that. The European Championships are a huge deal. No World Cup, but a huge deal nevertheless.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information